brettstr

Does Coach Gibbs...  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Does Coach Gibbs...

• Come back as Head Coach only for 1yr
    • Come back as Head Coach only with new contract
    • Come back in some capacity other than advisor
    • Stay Retired

There are so many stories out there regarding this mystery called the "search for the new Redskins' savior". I was livid a couple days ago about the possible Fassel hire. Now that it seems that was a smoke screen, I have come to this conclusion:

First, I believe that Joe Gibbs was asked to resign. It’s true that Joe pretty much did all he could do for the Redskins and there was family concerns. It’s also a truism that Joe truly bleeds burgundy and gold and would do what’s best for the team. In that, I think when he was ask to leave, he considered what was best for the team. He did what was best for the team in the hiring of Al Saunders right? Hmm.

So instead of reporting that Joe was fired and leaving the Redskins name with no credibility, he took the high road and enabled Dan to move on. When you think about it, it is a better situation PR wise. It actually gives the Redskins a platform to stand on through this media circus. I mean how do you replace Joe Gibbs, right? Not only that, but it was inevitable. Next year would have been a disaster for a new coach considering this year we have so many guys with expired contracts/free agents. It would be better long term to let the new coach pick his players this year than to have to take outgoing coaches choice. The fact is that Joe is still a part of the team. That in itself is a mystery. I think there intension is to hire Greg Williams. The search is really for a defensive coach and maybe some other staffers. Many have said “how could one hire an offensive coach without the head coach.” I know I know….you’re saying this is Dan and Vinny we’re talking about. Well GW was interviewed 4 times. What in the world could you talk about in four interviews to a guy you’ve been around for 4 years? The answer to that is the interviews were actually meetings about who GW wants on his staff. Reports have said that Zorn was on GW’s list for his OC. Jim Zorn is the new OC. Hmm. Now, noone has reported that GW fired Saunders right? We know that technically he can’t. That’s obvious. So Dan or Vinny fired him right? Ok it doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things. But….Question: Who in there right mind would want to come in from the outside and HC a team where he has no say in the hiring of his coaching staff? I’m just reading the tea leaves a different way. I just have this vision of GW sitting in a chair with the cameras facing the back to conceal his identity. The smoke rises from the imported cigar. He’s speaking to Vinny in his best Vito Corleone impression….

Godfather Theme song

GW: Hey Vinny. I want Zorn in dis organization. Let’s make him an offer he can’t refuse.

Vinny: Ah hi hi hi hi hi. Um, no problem GW.

Ok. That was a bit dramatic but you get the just of it. I have to think that there is a method to the madness. I am hoping that Snyder has become gun shy with making quick major decisions with this team. I mean we fans are hoping that we can find a coach that will be a mainstay and become the new face of the Redskins right? Why would Snyder. If GW is going to be successful, he’s going to need each piece in place. Not someone looking to pad there resume. How do you find that out by making a quick hire. You’ve got to test the market no matter how muddy it gets with the media. I believe Coach GW and company are in fact waiting for the end of the Super Bowl. When that happens, you will see movement. If that movement doesn’t include the hiring of Greg William as Head Coach, the Redskins indeed have no credibility and no reasonable brain activity.

If Dan would have announced GW to be head coach immediately after Gibbs farewell speech, a large contingent on ES would have felt he hired too quickly and was blinded by the "continuity" hype.

If Dan would have hired someone else other than GW, a large contingent on ES would have cried "what about continuity?".

Dan could not have and will never satisy everyone all the time.

Dan cannot fart in the right pitch without 74 threads being posted about it.

He is our scapegoat and we love it. He deserves a portion of our criticism but not on a daily basis.

Seems like Danny is trying to imitate Skeletor (I mean Jerry Jones) in hiring practices. Nevermind Jones's team won three superbowls only because he let a football guy (Jimmy Johnson) run things for awhile.

What happened to the idea of a classy football owner who lets his people do their own jobs?

What is sad to me is that the coordinators in the super bowl are probably hearing about this whole circus and thinking "Do I really want to go there when I have it so good here and I can go elsewhere maybe next year?" I don't think that those super bowl coordinators are going to come here based on how this whole coaching search is going and how they have decided to hire an offensive coordinator without allowing the head coach pick his players. I think that we are going to be in for a long season. I hope that we aren't, but it feels like that we are starting at square 1, when we are further than that. But since we aren't going with HOF coach replacement or continuity, we are going to more than likely suffer growing pains unecessarily.

Give me a break, how does that event, in a totally different time and under different circumstances have any bearing on this. This is the biggest stretch I've read all day.

The minority defense of Snyder here today has been quite laughable. Snyder brought all this upon himself. If he were shrewd, after Gibbs left, he'd have hired real football people to run this organization. During times like this, if there were problems, they'd take the heat, not Snyder. Its his own damn fault.

I don't get the rush either...people say all this stuff about ruing our franchise...i think hiring too quickly is potentially more damaging than hiring too slowly...i will let danny take his time and find the right guy...if it GW, thats cool...if he's not, whatever I won't lose sleep over it. It's not about continuity all the time. It's about winning and we never won these past four years. yea we made the playoff's, but as wild cards. I want a division championship, i want a conference championship, and most of all I want a Super Bowl championship. some may be satisfied with 9-7, but I'm not. I truly believe that GW is the wrong direction, I don't know who is the right direction. But knowing danny's history, it's a bombshell of a name

I don't get the rush either...people say all this stuff about ruing our franchise...i think hiring too quickly is potentially more damaging than hiring too slowly...

The amount of time is a marginal issue at best. I'm not personally that frustrated with the length of time. If compotent football decision makers were in charge, I'd trust the process.

I'm good with everything so far. We needed a coaching overhaul badly. Anybody who watched us move backwards out of the red zone knows that. Anybody who saw us have 7 first and goals in a row and not get in knows that. Anybody that saw our D kick into their typical 4th quarter "prevent" defense to blow a lead knows that.

What I don't understand is why the GW thing got so dragged out. You aren't some James Bond villian Danny. If you are going to whack them, pull the trigger and move on. Don't tie them up and leave before the laser bisects them.

The only thing I'm concerned with now is the prospect of having Fassel as HC. Please Danny, please be serious about interviewing McDaniels, Spagnuolo, SOMEBODY BESIDES FASSEL!

As I posted in other threads. I have watched and read many criticise Dan over the past several years and I either defended him or believed in him. It has come to the point where he deserves to be criticized and questioned.

This situation, and IMO how it has been handled by Cerrato and himself, is the final straw. Right now there is NO defense for him. I wish I could say otherwise but I just cannot at this point. So while I appreciate your point of view I unfortunately cannot "give hime a break."

For the first time Dan has probably lost the support of the majority of fans. I would be surprised to not hear chants of Snyder Sucks or Sell the Team at every game this year starting with the first preseason game.

When the blind homers turn on you, the situation is bad. Short of hiring Cowher, it will be nearly impossible to manufacture false hope about the upcoming season. He has devalued the perception of his product. Dan ate a huge bowl of stupid after Gibbs retired.

Big Diiference Between Petibon and Williams. Petibon had an aging personnel to work with. Lets face it that roster doesn't compare to what we have now. You have to ask yourself one question. Do you want a good chance to to go far into the playoffs for the next 3 years? Or do you want to BLOW UP our roster and have no chance until 3 years later?

F U SNYDER!!!

Maybe someone else has already thought this, but could it be Dan Snyder is keeping things close to his vest and taking so long because he is still trying to get Joe Gibbs to change his mind and coach for next season? Maybe he is holding out hope that he can squeeze one more year out of Joe.

Snyder has earned and deserves nothing. Football wannabe who has his girlfriend running the show. Great job in ruining a storied franchise

I don't know about the girl friend, but I agree 100%, from a football point of view, Snyder has earned and deserves nothing.

Maybe someone else has already thought this, but could it be Dan Snyder is keeping things close to his vest and taking so long because he is still trying to get Joe Gibbs to change his mind and coach for next season? Maybe he is holding out hope that he can squeeze one more year out of Joe.

Not a chance !!!!!!!!

Archived