Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blog: Assistant coaches need action

rtandler

Tandler's Redskins Blog

Now that Jim Fassel has been put on the back burner, perhaps permanently, there is a sense that the Redskins are going to deliberate further on their choice for Joe Gibbs’ replacement. It seems likely that a decision will not be made this week. There is talk—unconfirmed by the Redskins, of course—that Dan Snyder may wait until after the Super Bowl is over and have a chat with the Giants’ Steve Spagnuolo.

The members of Redskins Nation, their fingers weary and voices cracking from typing and speaking so much anti-Fassel rhetoric over the past 48 hours, seem to be fine with the break, too. Let things settle down for a while, seems to be the general sentiment.

It seems like a great idea. Retrench, revise the search criteria, take a deep breath, and go back at it next week.

It may seem like a great idea.

But it’s not.

It’s a terrible idea not because we’re all tired of waiting or because the reporters who cover the team just want to be able to go home for a weekend. That’s irrelevant in the long term.

Suffering long-term damage here are the careers of the twenty-some men who form the Redskins coaching staff. They don’t know if they have jobs for this coming season. A new coach is likely to bring major changes to the coaching staff and even if Gregg Williams gets the gig he is likely to want at least to tweak the staff.

On top of that, every day that goes by means that assistant coaching positions around the league—and around college football for that matter—are being filled. The likes of Bill Lazor, Jerry Gray and others are hearing the sounds of doors closing every single day.

To be sure, most of them are under contract for 2008 and even if they are let go they will be paid. That takes care of the bills in ’08. But while sitting out a year and taking a long vacation at the beach and puttering around the yard in the fall might sound nice to a lot of us, it can be career poison for a football coach. In a highly competitive business where there are many more applicants than jobs the old saying “out of sight, out of mind” is a chilling phrase to these coaches.

If the answer to “what have you done lately” is “spent a month fishing in Florida and watched every one of both my kids’ soccer games”, you’re not going to impress an potential employer in this business.

The flip side of this is that the Redskins will find a very small pool of new assistants to hire if they don’t conclude their coaching search until mid-February. Even at this moment the logistics of finding new coaches with every other head coaching vacancy now filled might make the promotion of Williams, which would entail minimal coaching turnover, the only sensible course of action. We’ve seen the problems with finding assistants the past few days with the dramas with Jim Zorn, Rex Ryan, and John Ramsdell. Such issues will only get worse and worse as each day goes by.

Whether it’s GW or Fassel or Meeks or Schwartz or any other mystery candidates, the decision needs to be made. Not only is leaving the staff twisting in the wind just plain the wrong thing to do, it’s bad for business. You don’t want to get a reputation as an organization that will do that.

Make the call, Dan. It’s the right thing to do.

Great post and thanks for the links.

Isn't it terrible Dan treats the Skins like its his little toy with total disregard for the fans and everyone else?It makes you wonder if he really is listening to advice from anybody on who to hire as Head Coach.All we can do is hope Snyder IS just being patient and trying to find the best Coach to win and not the best Coach to be one of his puppets.

Isn't it terrible Dan treats the Skins like its his little toy with total disregard for the fans and everyone else?It makes you wonder if he really is listening to advice from anybody on who to hire as Head Coach.All we can do is hope Snyder IS just being patient and trying his best to find the best available Coach to win and not the best available Coach to be one of his puppets.

Well if he did want a puppet Williams would have been hired instantly

This whole thing is just stupid to me!!! The most common sense thing would be to try and keep the coaching staff we have intact to me. I would give Greg Williams at least a one year shot at the coaching job. Let the guys finish out what they have left on there contract. I'm sorry but to me we only need a few more spots adjusted to the roster and we have a good shot at a division title game next year!!!

I'm very afraid that Danny and Vinny are going to really screw this up and it's back to pre 2004 only making the playoffs one time in a decade.

Keep the family together !!!!

One problem with your premise: what is stopping to coaches from going up the chain of command and asking out? What stops other teams from asking permission to talk to some of these guys?

Actually, other than a few coaches who have signed with Miami, I haven't heard much of coaches building their staffs as of yet. They all have to deal with the same thing: those who happen to be available and those who are under contract who maybe are looking for promotions.

I'm not worried about these guys. I mean, the Superbowl is a little over a week from now. There still seems to be plenty of jobs out there, and there are others that probably will open up as coaches are evaluated.

Jason

this post evidently ends with the premise that Snyder actually cares about the feelings of other human beings. his firing of secretaries and janitors when he took over the team, people who were not star-studded players or coaches with guaranteed money coming in to feed their families, showed that plainly enough.

Treating the coaching staff this way is just down right disrespectful and one of those coaches I idolize in the same manner as I idolize Joe Gibbs, that's Joe Bugel. Danny has Joe Gibbs call all of the coaches and apologize about the way this has been handled and let them know that it will be at least 2 more weeks before a decision is made.

It just sounds cheap to have somebody else do your dirty work for you. Seems like he's using Joe, knowing the respect he commands from the coaches, that they will not rebel against the organization if it's coming from Joe. I don't know, it just seems cheap to me.

I've always had respect for Danny and would defend him to other fans about how he tries because he's always been a Redskins fan but this is where I part company. He doesn't even have the decency to make these calls himself and leave these men hanging.

I have no respect for Danny, none at all. I'll always root for the Redskins but I'll never spend another dime on this team. The damage is done Danny, no matter who you hire at this point, you have done irreversible damage to the team and the fans of what used to be a proud organization.

this post evidently ends with the premise that Snyder actually cares about the feelings of other human beings. his firing of secretaries and janitors when he took over the team, people who were not star-studded players or coaches with guaranteed money coming in to feed their families, showed that plainly enough.
Have you ever heard Dan say anything at all about the fans? Joe Gibbs made a point of thanking the fans. And who can forget Jack Kent Cooke, gushing, " The best bloody fans on the face of the earth, Redskin fans." I have to admit, I have only gone to FedEx for a game, once. That was enough for me. I cant afford the steep prices. Now I just warm up the TV, turn the sound off, and crank up Sonny, Sam, and (I wish it was FranK) Larry.

Actually, there is one more point that I completely forgot about.

From JLC's blog earlier today:

Random: The contracts for Redskins assistants Earnest Byner and Kirk Olivadotti expire on Jan. 31, league sources said. The rest of the staff has another year remaining on their deals, set to expire Jan. 31, 2009

Even the guys who's contracts have expired don't get let go until the end of the month. I assume it is probably a standard contract duration around the league.

Jason

I really don't think Dan know hows to go about hiring a coach when his first choice says no and he has to pick from a pool of Assistants. He's struggled with the process thus far but let's hope it turns out OK.

Has he actually offered the job to anyone? I haven't seen a report that says so.

Jason

Have you ever heard Dan say anything at all about the fans? Joe Gibbs made a point of thanking the fans. And who can forget Jack Kent Cooke, gushing, " The best bloody fans on the face of the earth, Redskin fans." I have to admit, I have only gone to FedEx for a game, once. That was enough for me. I cant afford the steep prices. Now I just warm up the TV, turn the sound off, and crank up Sonny, Sam, and (I wish it was FranK) Larry.

Mr.Cooke saw himself as a steward of this franchise, and he considered everyone a part of this team (from the front-office to the fans).

Yes he had an ego, but he never let it get in the way of this franchise...he signed the checks, put people in place he trusted to do a good job and stayed out of the way.

Snyder has refered to Mr. Cooke as "My predecessor" never by name....in that case Mr. Snyder...your predecessor is 10times the owner you will ever be...even in his current state.

Id have to agree completely with Tandler. There are a lot of men whos jobs are right now in limbo. They dont know whats going to happen to them, or what to do. Its just a matter of respect to both keep them informed, and make a decision in a timely enough manner so that they can find jobs elsewhere. None of that is happening.

If you treat your employees like this, future ones will remember. Anyone offered a job by the Skins is going to think twice about how they will be treated, and whats going to happen with their career. Thats not something you want.

Archived