Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Schefter--Skins "Zeroing In" on Fassel plus Rex Ryan

rtandler

I posted this in another thread but it seemed to fit in with this discussion ... just Riggins and Michael instead of Schefter :)

FWIW, I was watching Riggins' radio show on MASN earlier and he interviewed George Michael about all of this. Obviously GM's word isn't gospel, but his impression is that Gregg Williams deserves the job, but he feels at this point that Fassel is clearly the front runner.

He said back in 2004 Fassel was Snyder's choice, but Dan made a last ditch effort to get Joe to come out of retirement and, much to everyone's surprise, Gibbs agreed to return to coach the Redskins. (i.e. we were saved from what was certain to be Fassel as HC in 2004)

During the course of the show, Riggins et al discussed what it might mean to have Fassel as coach. Fassel is apparently still best buddies with Brian Billick, even though Billick rolled Fassel under the bus at the Ravens, where he was OC. They speculated that since Fassel and Billick are still friends, they could easily imagine him bringing in Billick as the OC. :doh:

They ended the discussion by saying if Fassel really is the guy they have settled on, then it will be announced soon ... cuz why wait? There really are no other big name guys (the "splash" that DS seems to like) out there that are available right now, at least publicly.

However, they also said they could also easily see the Redskins waiting another 2 weeks until after the Super Bowl, when the Redskins would be allowed to talk to Spagnuolo from the Giants and/or McDaniels from the Pats. Cuz obviously no other teams are lining up to hire Fassel, so they could afford to wait two more weeks ... :laugh:

Before I get flamed for just more "chatter" and opinions on this topic, I wanna say that the information overload and continued speculation is driving me nuts too, but thought they brought up some interesting stuff so thought I'd share ... :)

It's clear that all the talk about continuity was just that--talk. Snyder doesn't want continuity. Our head coach, our OC, and our DC from 2007 will all be elsewhere in 2008 despite all the talk of the importance of continuity.

Everything that Coach Gibbs helped build and establish here will be moot because there will be no one left to carry the torch. I'm sick to death right now.

And the players who played as hard as they could through tragedy last year will all get a big slap in the face as we thrust a new administration upon them.

This team was and is SO close to where we want to be. This is not the time to start over. Our coach RETIRED and we are a PLAYOFF team. We are not a 4-12 team with a fired head coach that needs a new direction. We would Snyder treat it as such?

Please someone tell me I'm wrong and that this won't happen. Please.

God this keeps getting worse. I feel like one of the kids on those reality shows, where they switch parents with another family, and one day a new Mom shows up and starts fixing everybody breakfast.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Priceless.

I posted this in another thread but it seemed to fit in with this discussion ... just Riggins and Michael instead of Schefter :)

FWIW, I was watching Riggins' radio show on MASN earlier and he interviewed George Michael about all of this. Obviously GM's word isn't gospel, but his impression is that Gregg Williams deserves the job, but he feels at this point that Fassel is clearly the front runner.

He said back in 2004 Fassel was Snyder's choice, but Dan made a last ditch effort to get Joe to come out of retirement and, much to everyone's surprise, Gibbs agreed to return to coach the Redskins. (i.e. we were saved from what was certain to be Fassel as HC in 2004)

During the course of the show, Riggins et al discussed what it might mean to have Fassel as coach. Fassel is apparently still best buddies with Brian Billick, even though Billick rolled Fassel under the bus at the Ravens, where he was OC. They speculated that since Fassel and Billick are still friends, they could easily imagine him bringing in Billick as the OC. :doh:

They ended the discussion by saying if Fassel really is the guy they have settled on, then it will be announced soon ... cuz why wait? There really are no other big name guys (the "splash" that DS seems to like) out there that are available right now, at least publicly.

However, they also said they could also easily see the Redskins waiting another 2 weeks until after the Super Bowl, when the Redskins would be allowed to talk to Spagnuolo from the Giants and/or McDaniels from the Pats. Cuz obviously no other teams are lining up to hire Fassel, so they could afford to wait two more weeks ... :laugh:

Before I get flamed for just more "chatter" and opinions on this topic, I wanna say that the information overload and continued speculation is driving me nuts too, but thought they brought up some interesting stuff so thought I'd share ... :)

Thanks for sharing. Interesting....

Why would you assume that? We've been running a 4-3 forever and we still can't figure out the importance of drafting DE's.

:( Bad images of Montgomery trying to play NT and Griffin getting mauled as a 3-4 DE. Not to mention Carter as a LB again.

:doh: I have a headache now.

Our front seven defensive personnel sucks for a 3-4 scheme like Ryan favors. That would be an idiotic move.

Actually Rex and Gregg aren't all that different. They're both disciples of Buddy Ryan and mix some of the principles of the 46 into their defense. The Ravens are a base 3-4 but really play a lot of 4-3 also. They have enough verstatility in their front 7 to play either. I don't think Rex is strapped to either one. He was their DL coach under Lewis when they played a pure 4-3.

It's clear that all the talk about continuity was just that--talk. Snyder doesn't want continuity. Our head coach, our OC, and our DC from 2007 will all be elsewhere in 2008 despite all the talk of the importance of continuity.

Everything that Coach Gibbs helped build and establish here will be moot because there will be no one left to carry the torch. I'm sick to death right now.

And the players who played as hard as they could through tragedy last year will all get a big slap in the face as we thrust a new administration upon them.

This team was and is SO close to where we want to be. This is not the time to start over. Our coach RETIRED and we are a PLAYOFF team. We are not a 4-12 team with a fired head coach that needs a new direction. We would Snyder treat it as such?

Please someone tell me I'm wrong and that this won't happen. Please.

You totally took the words out of my mouth. I could not have said it any better. I agree with everything 100%. I can't believe this is actually going to happen. Why listen to Vinny and not go with who Gibbs supported?

What the **** is Snyder doin seriously??? Just ****ing hire Greg Williams! It makes sense. He is a good coach! Our defense was very good this year even will all the injuries and tragedy. The players like him etc. There no need to bring in Rex ****ing Ryan. And Jim Fassel is ****ing joke. Theres a reason the guy can't keep a job as OC, yet Snyder wants to hire him as HC and pay him 5 mill a year! If Greg Williams isn't our head coach it better be because we got someone else damn good like: Bill Cowher, Josh Mcdaniels, Russ Grimm etc.

Archived