Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Schefter--Skins "Zeroing In" on Fassel plus Rex Ryan

rtandler

The Redskins are just one of the areas of my life that all seem to be in the exact same position.

It's like I permanently have that "last second field goal to win or lose the game" feeling in my stomach all day long everyday.

Grey skies and frigid cold temperatures don't do anything to help.

What happened to the days where everything is going to be okay? Why can't things be okay anymore?

WAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! (Artie Lang voice)

Years of being on Extreme has made me realize I am just an ignorant primitive, however, the hiring of Fassell does not look that bad to me. I would have liked to seen Williams hired, but:

NY during his years

Year after 2004 6 10 0 2nd

2003 4 12 0 4th

2002 10 6 0 2nd

2001 7 9 0 3rd

2000 12 4 0 1st

1999 7 9 0 3rd

1998 8 8 0 3rd

1997 10 5 1 1st

Years before

1996 6 10 0 5th

1995 5 11 0 4th

Pitt during that time

2003 6 10 0 3rd

2002 10 5 1 1st

2001 13 3 0 1st

2000 9 7 0 3rd

1999 6 10 0 4th

1998 7 9 0 3rd

1997 11 5 0 1st

year before

1996 10 6 0 1st

Bills under Williams

2003 6 10 0 3rd

2002 8 8 0 4th

2001 3 13 0 5th

From PFT

FASSEL TO BE HIRED AS SOON AS WEDNESDAY?

Though some league insiders believe that Jim Fassel will never be an NFL head coach again, Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Fassel could be the head coach of the Washington Redskins as soon as Wednesday.

And Fassel could be paired with former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, who is under consideration to return to the Ravens in that same capacity -- and who also could end up coaching the Falcons.

Left out in the cold would be current Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who not long ago was given a healthy raise to get him to refrain from pursuing other opportunities to become a head coach elsewhere. Williams has been interviewed multiples times, has spent four years in the building, and hasn't been offered the job. That's not a good sign.

From PFT

FASSEL TO BE HIRED AS SOON AS WEDNESDAY?

Though some league insiders believe that Jim Fassel will never be an NFL head coach again, Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Fassel could be the head coach of the Washington Redskins as soon as Wednesday.

And Fassel could be paired with former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, who is under consideration to return to the Ravens in that same capacity -- and who also could end up coaching the Falcons.

Left out in the cold would be current Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who not long ago was given a healthy raise to get him to refrain from pursuing other opportunities to become a head coach elsewhere. Williams has been interviewed multiples times, has spent four years in the building, and hasn't been offered the job. That's not a good sign.

I would love to call, "BS" on this...but I don't think I can.

Gibbs was a marketing ploy and trying to get fans back on his side and make $$

You got that right...as the old saying goes a leopard never changes it's spots.

This time he is going to have to bring in some serious big name free agents to sell some of the skeptical fans on this idea of Fassel being the man to lead the Skins.

Man -- its one thing not hiring Gregg Williams -- or some big name guy like Bill Cowher. I was nervous when they were talking about possibly giving it to some young hot shot coordinator -- but that still gave me some hope becuase that's what Gibbs' was when he started.

But instead a guy who is about 60 -- who has been more or less written off not just as a head coach but even as an offensive coordinator -- who no other team seems to want -- the whole thought takes all the wind out of my sails thinking about next season.

For all those that like it and think we are being over dramatic -- that's cool -- but we all got a right to feel whatever we feel. For me its tough to get worst than this.

Does Danny want a compliant Under-His-Thumb tool, and GW is bit too headstrong for that?

Looks to me that might be the case. Which was what scared the bejesus out of me from day one.

I don't feel so good.

I'm holding off though. I'm waiting until something official comes across the board.

Didn't Rex Ryan already agree to stay on with the Ravens, and wouldn't that be a lateral move so Bmore would have to release him from his contract. That all together sounds iffy to me.
Ryan was released from his contract when Billick was let go. He is free to pursue any job he wants.

He is, but in ways, he's still tied to the franchise. He doesn't have to ask permission to interview for a HC stint, but if he takes a job as a DC, than the Ravens can Block him. Though, if he really liked the new gig, he could always just refuse to work for the Ravens, which would in turn making them blocking him kind of stupid.

Archived