Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: Vinny Cerrato Named Executive Vice President (MEGA MERGED)

TK

We have little problem in getting the players we want? I don't think that's true. I think we'd like to have other players, but cap considerations sometimes nudge us into deciding who we want. Sometimes "who we want" is really determined by "who we can afford" first, and not the other way around. That's the way I've read some of the things that have happened over the years.

That's true of any team, no matter the cap space. But, we usually are able to get guys because we are willing to pay more in up-front money (i.e. bonus money). There have been relatively few instances that the Skins were not able to get a guy that they targeted.

No, I think our salary management has been basically been this merry-go-round system of year-by-year bandages. Last year, they *finally* said they understood the importance of drafting talent and developing prospects. We'll see how this bears out. The thing is, you watch AFC teams and you watch the cream of the NFC (like, for example unfortunately, the Cowboys) and you see teams that have a core of young players who will compete for the foreseeable future, and in many cases still have breathing room in the cap.

Actually, I'd say that there were few teams worse off than the Washington Redskins talentwise when Gibbs took over. From the bloodletting that Marty did in 2001 to the failed experiment of Spurrier, there wasn't that much to build from. The Skins had few tradable players, and already spent a couple of draft picks on guys who weren't even with the team anymore. Building through the draft really wasn't an option.

Despite what you think, the Skins under Gibbs did believe in young players and the draft. The results may not have been there, but it doesn't mean that they didn't believe in them. With the exception of Brunell, all the trades were for young players with promise.

Interesting you pick the Cowboys, who really weren't that different from us when Parcells took over, with a mix of veterans and young players, but with a lot of turnover in the meantime before they even got to where they are now. Course, the Redskins have won more playoff games in that time than the Cowboys have.

Jason

Vinny has my support in his new role 100%. All Skins fans should give it to him.

Vinny has the blessing of Gibbs and Snyder, and is generally respected in NFL circles. The most trouble Vinny has had as a player/personnel guy was with Spurrier.

And while he's had some misses, what personnel guys haven't? NOBODY has a clean slate in that business.

Besides, trying to seperate at this point who REALLY wanted guys like Arch or Lloyd at this point is an exercise in futility. For all we know, maybe Vinny didn't want them, but deferred to the coaches?

All I know is that maybe in this role, Vinny will have more authority to actually manage the roster instead of being a tool for whatever coach comes along and decides he wants to overhaul the roster in his own image.

I've said this for years... that Snyder/Cerrato's CATERING to whatever head coach comes along is actually a BAD thing, though most Redskins fans saw it as a sign of a good owner :jerk: In fact, it was the sign of an organization without stability or leadership.

Maybe Vinny can provide that. He deserves the opportunity, and we as Redskins fans should support him in his new role unless he proves to be incompetent.

I wish Synder would just hire Bobby Beathard for tons of money and call it a day. We need someone proven that knows what to look for as far as evaluating talent. Beathard was able to find solid players from not just division 1, but division 2 and 3 schools.

Beathard is old and has been out of the game for years. No thanks.

Vinny has shown some core competencies, and he has the blessing of our HOF Coach who worked with Beatherd.

Why don't we give him a shot in this role and judge him on his performance in a few years?

Vinny has shown some core competencies, and he has the blessing of our HOF Coach who worked with Beatherd.

Why don't we give him a shot in this role and judge him on his performance in a few years?

Isn't this NEW Title and Role pretty much what he has been doing..without the title? I mean.....he must be doing something for THE DAN to love him so much.

Vinny has shown squat :) He destroyed the 49ers, was the reason we went after the high priced washed up vets. Since he has been here there has been no consistency at all.

The only thing I will say I like about this move is if he fails there is no one else to blame.

It seems certain now that Fassel will be the HC.

Isn't this NEW Title and Role pretty much what he has been doing..without the title? I mean.....he must be doing something for THE DAN to love him so much.

It sounds to me like Vinny has gone from selling and bagging the groceries to buying them.

Big difference I think. And it is exactly what this organization needs. Stability on personnel decisions independent of who the head coach is.

Hopefully now we won't have the roster completely re-shaped on a whim every 2 years when a new coach comes in.

Vinny has shown squat :) He destroyed the 49ers, was the reason we went after the high priced washed up vets. Since he has been here there has been no consistency at all.

The only thing I will say I like about this move is if he fails there is no one else to blame.

It seems certain now that Fassel will be the HC.

Knowing that you disagree, I feel better about my position. :)

(for all you noobs out there... if jbooma quotes your post and agrees with it, you know you just ****ed up :laugh: )

Anyways, funny you bring up the 49ers. Because God knows they've been a model of success since Vinny left. :doh: Ownership destroyed the 49ers :slap:

Knowing that you disagree, I feel better about my position. :)

(for all you noobs out there... if jbooma quotes your post and agrees with it, you know you just ****ed up :laugh: )

Anyways, funny you bring up the 49ers. Because God knows they've been a model of success since Vinny left. :doh: Ownership destroyed the 49ers :slap:

I said I agree it is a good move just to finallly put blame where it belongs :) maybe he will prove us all wrong

It seems this next coach is going to be a vinny coach, so in 5 years if we keep going 8-8 then everyone will be out :)

Plus it was MARTY that cleaned up his first mess here :)

It sounds to me like Vinny has gone from selling and bagging the groceries to buying them.

Big difference I think. And it is exactly what this organization needs. Stability on personnel decisions independent of who the head coach is.

Hopefully now we won't have the roster completely re-shaped on a whim every 2 years when a new coach comes in.

I thought he had a big part in player personnel issues all along.

Where did I read that.......or what have I missed along the way.

Vinny has my support in his new role 100%. All Skins fans should give it to him.

Vinny has the blessing of Gibbs and Snyder, and is generally respected in NFL circles. The most trouble Vinny has had as a player/personnel guy was with Spurrier.

Outstanding post Zoony, and I couldn't agree more. Gibbs has never been known as a talent evaluator, yet we have much young talent on this team right now. Vinny has to get a lot of the credit for those players being here.

Stability. Isn't this something that we have wanted for a long time?

With this move, and knowing that Mr. Snyder and Mr. Cerrato are close friends, this relationship has the potential to last for many, many years. If Vinny proves to be a great talent evaluator for the draft and FA (and I believe he already has), then we are set in the front office for a long time.

Yes, stability.

Archived