Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Darrell Green HOF Finalist / Road trip time (Merged & MET)

jimster

Cris Carter, Darrell Green Finalists for Pro Football Hall of Fame

http://sports.iwon.com/news/01152008/v6397.html

Jan 15, 6:18 PM (ET) Email this Story

CANTON, Ohio (AP) -Cris Carter and Darrell Green are finalists in balloting for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility.

Carter, a star wide receiver for the Eagles and Vikings, and Redskins cornerback Green are among 17 finalists who will be considered for election on Feb. 2, 2008, the day before the Super Bowl.

Carter spent 1987-89 with Philadelphia, then 1990-2001 with Minnesota before ending his career with a season as a Dolphin. In 2000, he became the second player in NFL history to catch 1,000 career passes, behind only Jerry Rice. He finished his career with 1,101 receptions, second on the all-time list; had 130 TD catches, also second; and gained 1,000 yards receiving in eight straight seasons. Carter was a member of the NFL's 1990s all-decade team.

Green spent all 20 of his seasons in Washington, tying a league record with one team, and played 295 games after being a first-round draft pick in 1983. He holds the NFL mark with at least one interception in 19 consecutive seasons and made 54 interceptions overall for 621 yards and six TDs. Considered one of the best shutdown cornerbacks in football, he also was one of the league's fastest players and a first-rate punt returner. Green also was on the NFL's 1990s team.

The other finalists, of which a minimum of four candidates and a maximum of seven can be chosen, are 12 modern-era players. They are defensive ends Fred Dean and Richard Dent; linebackers Randy Gradishar, Derrick Thomas and Andre Tippett; guards Russ Grimm, Bob Kuechenberg and Randall McDaniel; punter Ray Guy; wide receivers Art Monk and Andre Reed; and tackle Gary Zimmerman.

The contributor finalist is former commissioner Paul Tagliabue. The Senior Committee nominees, announced last August, are Chicago Cardinals back Marshall Goldberg and Kansas City Chiefs cornerback Emmitt Thomas.

To be elected, a finalist must receive a minimum of 80 percent of the 44 votes.

That's what most of us have thought for the last 7 years for Art Monk. You realize he's been eligible since 2001??? There's been too many snubs to say that anyone has a sure shot.

Green is a surefire first ballot Hall of Famer. He was the best at his position for years. Had a definining moment in the playoffs that people remember (the return against the Bears) and there isn't anyone who matches his character.

He's a much better candidate than Monk.

Green is my all time favorite athlete. A true hero for what he did on the field, and for the man he was off it. If he is in, I'm definitely goimg. It would be even sweeter if Monk finally got in too. If Art gets robbed again, you can bet I will be there yelling for Art every chance I get.

Am I the only one feeling uneasy about this? Is this a chance for the Skins haters with HoF ballots to snub not one, but two players that deserve to be in?

Not that I'm comfortable or comfortable with thinking of these baser implications of tragedy but Sean's death combined with our playoff appearance and Gibbs second retirement that maybe, JUST MAYBE it will spur some people to do some research and reflect on the fact that it took GREAT players to get Gibbs in the Hall.

If that happens, I can see a future where Grimm gets in too.

Sadly, Clark will probably not see the Hall, in spite of having stats near to Irvin's while splitting catches with Sanders and Monk and two SB rings and clutch plays in the playoffs and SB.

Absolutely ridiculous. ABSOLUTELY ridiculous that he will likely never garner consideration.

Sadly, Clark will probably not see the Hall, in spite of having stats near to Irvin's while splitting catches with Sanders and Monk and two SB rings and clutch plays in the playoffs and SB.

Absolutely ridiculous. ABSOLUTELY ridiculous that he will likely never garner consideration.

We gotta get Monk in first ... then we start working on Clark. Steeler fans fought for almost 20 years to get Swann and Stallworth in, and Monk/Clark are probably more deserving.

Green will get in this year. Monk SHOULD get in. Grimm will need a couple years - the best thing that could happen for him is if Kuechenberg finally gets in. We also have to work on Jacoby, and Clark is right there behind him...

Clearly Green gets in. This is about as close to a "gimme" as you get where this is concerned. Now in a perfect world, Art gets in with him but that's real tough there. Carter being part of mix now could hurt him some. However, I'm hoping that the voters finally put Art in knowing full well that Carter is going in sooner rather than later. Time to do the "right" thing with Art.

All of this Hall of Fame stuff got me thinkin...it's quite possible that we will have one (D. Green) or more of our Redskins greats inducted into the Hall this year. I know it's not until august but how awesome would it be to be there in person for the ceremony?? I am seriously considering making a trip to Canton as long as Green, Monk, and/or Grimm make it. Anyone interested? :cheers:

sorry if this has been posted, I didn't see it anywhere

Archived