Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RUMOR * Cowher Next Coach: Says Cerrato * RUMOR (M.E.T.)

Frediemac

Yeah consistancy is overated. I'd hate to compete for a SB 11 times in 15 years. That blows. Only 1 Lombardi trophy? Hang him.

Hilarious. So true though. At least we know Cowher can consistently succeed in the modern era, and he let's his offensive coordinators DO THEIR JOB. They won the superbowl because he let his coordinator use the pass to set up the run. Even though it wasn't the "traditional steeler identity," it was the strategy that was most productive for them. Gibbs refused to do that and thus our team struggled, but I know Cowher will be more open minded. I'd be happy if he came here, but I don't think we have to have him. I'd be just as happy to see Gregg promoted.

Some of you guys are thinking too much. Total upheaval? Get rid of Portis? The defensive Line? You know there are salary cap implications with releasing players. And I hate to break this to you, but Cowher didn't have Bettis the whole time in Pittsburgh. True he likes the power back (Barry Foster, Bam Morris, Jerome Bettis), but he did ride "Fast" Willie Parker to a SB. And as far as the 3-4 goes, I think the D-coordinator will have a say in what personell we run.

They also set passing records when Tommy Maddux was the QB. Neil O'Donnell wasn't Trent Dilfer. Offensive Lines were his main focus. Ever see a bad O-Line in his tenure in Pitts? Isn't that what we pride our team on? O-Line?

He's a consistant WINNER. Agains CONSISTANT Winner. I just don't think he can come in and blow the team up. We have too much talent on the roster. Why would he want to come in and take a step back. He'll finally have an owner willing to spend money to keep the players he gets. Think about it. If he is a good judge in talent, we not only draft great players, we actually get to keep them.

You guys are thinking too much. Relax. It's only football.

Just heard George Michael on DC101 telling Elliot that "under no certain terms will Dan Snyder place a call regarding the coaching position to Cowher"

This was after he had a long conversation last night with Joe Gibbs regading his leaving

is this legit?

Cowher would be the WRONG choice here. He wouldnt match our roster, and if he wanted to switch to a 3-4 defense would take a year or two alone to convert.

Id say promote G.W. and replace Saunders with Mike Martz as OC, Martz isnt getting any consideration for any head coaching jobs. With our smurf receivers, it might be a perfect fit. We could also get Lloyd on the field and get our moneys worth, spread defenses out and give Portis creases to run through.

I think too that people are jumpng the gun on continuity and consistency. Our record the last 4 years is 30-34. That's not the consistency I want. I want a team like we saw in the month of december. While we have that potential there's no prof that this team can consistently play at their december levels of 2005 and 2007. I'm not suggesting to blow the team up, but we could use upgrades in several spots on the roster

Knowing Dan Snyder's history and specifically taking into account how things played out with Schottenheimer almost certainly guarantees that Cowher will NOT be the next headcoach of this franchise. Cerrato pretty much says as much simply by mentioning the control aspect.

You're not going to see Snyder put himself in a situation similar to what happened with Schottenheimer. Whether that's good or bad is another story, but it's stimply not going to happen.

Skins need a new energy ... Cowher fills the bill. Cowher II > Gibbs II.

you don't even know if A) There will be a Cowher II, and B) What kind of team Cowher II would sport. Its quite ignorant to make that kind of statement. You might as well say that You yourself would do a better job than Gibbs II, as both you're Coaching stint and Cowher's second coaching stint happened at the same time.

Cowher would be the WRONG choice here. He wouldnt match our roster, and if he wanted to switch to a 3-4 defense would take a year or two alone to convert.

Id say promote G.W. and replace Saunders with Mike Martz as OC, Martz isnt getting any consideration for any head coaching jobs. With our smurf receivers, it might be a perfect fit. We could also get Lloyd on the field and get our moneys worth, spread defenses out and give Portis creases to run through.

the right decision isn't always the easy one. And the LIONS fired Martz....the LIONS....why would the Redskins, or anyone for that matter, want him as their OC?

Follow up on my post from earlier. Here is a little more info:

"Hey more feedback Cowher had bought this property back in late Oct - early Nov and has been putting a ton of work into it over the last several months - Probability Cowher is coming is up to 99%"

*Rumor* I just posted this in the Mega Merge Next Coach thread. I think if Cerrato is hinting it's Cowher than it probably is and it's just a matter of process/time.

--------------------

This is the information I've heard. From a good friend of mine.

Friend "A" has a source who is the VP of a prominent real estate brokerage in VA.

Cowher was approached by Atlanta owner Arthur Blank and said he wasn't coaching he wanted to stay another year.

Monday after, (my Friend) had lunch with friend, VP of Real estate brokerarge, and were talking about Cowher. VP said he already bought a farm in Leesburg (November time frame), and basically had an agreement with Snyder to take over when Gibbs retires. This has all been setup in the background due to the obvious NFL process. It's basically a wink-wink/verbal agreement between Snyder and Cowher.

I asked about looking up the sale of the farm can't be confirmed for 3 to 6 months till it goes to public record. Plus this also goes with what was said earlier about Cowher's daughter looking at GMU and Snyder wanting Gibbs to stay for another year.

Take the information for what it is but I'm going to put my money on Cowher. I believe it and have no reason not too. He's a stand up guy and has no reason to make any of it up. We are both die-hard skins fans. If we bring anyone else in for interviews it's just for following the process. I have not other information as to what happens with GW or Saunders and the rest of the coaching staff.

Knowing Dan Snyder's history and specifically taking into account how things played out with Schottenheimer almost certainly guarantees that Cowher will NOT be the next headcoach of this franchise. Cerrato pretty much says as much simply by mentioning the control aspect.

You're not going to see Snyder put himself in a situation similar to what happened with Schottenheimer. Whether that's good or bad is another story, but it's stimply not going to happen.

JG had it, why wouldn't Cowher have it.

is this legit?

I heard a long conversation on the radio that Michaels had with Gibbs about why he was leaving...

First of all he brought Coy into coaching with him and when Coy decided that doing football 7 days a week wasn't for him he decided to leave after the first year. That left Gibbs to be coaching alone (not what he had planned) then he almost lost his 3 year old grandson this year to Lukemia. Followed by the death of Sean Taylor. He said that when they beat Dallas and his 3 year old grandson Taylor came upto him and said "COACH you did a great job" he picked that little boy up with tears in his eyes. George said he knew at that moment that he wouldn't be back, that it was time for him to retire and enjoy his family and that's what was most important to him.

Elliot then asked him about Cowher and that was the exact statement that Michaels gave. "Under no certain terms"

It's as legit and as credible as George Michaels is!

So all these reports about Cowher saying he doesn't want to come here is like Parcells saying he had no interest in coaching the Pats...er Jets...er Cowboys. Or becoming GM of the Buccan....er. Falcon...er Dolphins. Money talks and BS walks. Cowher is saying this because it's the first day that Joe announced his retirement. Give it a couple of days. By mid-week or the end of the week we may have a new head coach. Not saying it will be Cowher, but someone will be the new head coach.

Archived