Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RUMOR * Cowher Next Coach: Says Cerrato * RUMOR (M.E.T.)

Frediemac

As I had mentioned in another post, Cohwer may very well win in the regular season and make the playoffs every year but does he have the potential to win the super bowl every year or is it going to be once every 10 years. If you dont like Gibbs conservatism why would like Cohwer's.

Not that I am for hiring Cowher... in fact, I am not. BUt I will say this. I would be pleased with just one SB trophy right about now.

I've felt that BC was going to be the next coach for a while. BC left the Steelers and said he wanted to sit out at least a year. Then I remember at a news conference Gibbs saying he fully intends to fulfill his five year contract. Soon after I remember hearing BC being quoted as saying he now wants at least 2 years off. It may just be a coincidence, but it seemed fishy to me. Like BC wanted this job and didn't want to be courted by other teams. He was underpaid in Pitt. and now I think he looks forward to being the highest paid coach in the NFL. 10m a year I bet or close to it. And BC is not that old either, which is a good thing. I actually think he would be a good fit b/c his philosophy is similar to Gibbs. Run the ball, play great defense. Except he utilizes the 3-4, which we don't have the personnel for.

JG had it, why wouldn't Cowher have it.

Probably because Cowher is pretty damn far from being Joe Gibbs. Gibbs also never made any secret about appreciating Dan Snyder's input and acknowledging him being the ultimate voice in decisions that are being made.

The question is whether Cowher would compromise in that same fashion. Cerrato's comments lead me to believe that this would not be the case.

Cerrato was quoted as saying that cowher would want ALL THE POWER like Parcells had in Dallas

Yeah and look at how he left Dallas. They are the #1 seed this year and winning lots and lots of games. If he came here and did what Bill did to set up Dallas I would be thrilled.

Two things spring to mind as to the reason Gibbs worked is because he got on with Snyder and secondly Gibbs came to Snyder ...Dan didn't have to do the chasing ...Cowher would have to get on with Dan and i think this is Vinny pushing up the market for Cowher and get people to look the other way as to what is happening in Washington

COWHER NEXT IN WASHINGTON? by Michael David Smith

In the hours since the resignation of Redskins coach Joe Gibbs, one name has been repeated over and over again as Gibbs' most likely successor: Bill Cowher.

Jason La Canfora of the Washington Post lays out the case for Cowher and says that a source who knows Redskins Vice President of Football Operations Vinny Cerrato well said Cerrato believes the Redskins' next coach will be Cowher. Moreover, if Cowher wants total control of football operations, that would be doable, and Cerrato could move to a consulting role to make room for a coach with more authority.

La Canfora also notes that even if Redskins owner Daniel Snyder wants Cowher, he would need to interview a minority candidate first. La Canfora writes that Redskins defensive coordinator Greg Blache would not want to "be a part of any dog and pony show" and interview for the job if the feeling around Redskins Park is that Cowher will get the job.

At today's Redskins news conference, Snyder said he has not talked to Cowher. He also said he "tried very, very hard" to convince Gibbs to stay.

All he said was Cowher is going to get a massive pay check, he didn't say it would have Snyder's signature on it.

A new system would set us back another five years and you know a guy like Cowher would want to bring in all his own people.

I was fortunate enough to witness our previous two Super Bowl victories and remember when Coach Gibbs first stepped down for HC, Richie Pettibone was named HC. I just finished watching the 91 season recap on the NFL Channel and I could not help but make the comparison of GW and Richie Pettibone. Charles Mann mentioned that Coach Gibbs was the offensive guru and how Richie was the defensive guru. The same could be said about Coach Gibbs second run with the exception of Al Saunders and I am hoping that if GW gets the promotion that history will not repeat itself. Just a thought....

I was fortunate enough to witness our previous two Super Bowl victories and remember when Coach Gibbs first stepped down for HC, Richie Pettibone was named HC. I just finished watching the 91 season recap on the NFL Channel and I could not help but make the comparison of GW and Richie Pettibone. Charles Mann mentioned that Coach Gibbs was the offensive guru and how Richie was the defensive guru. The same could be said about Coach Gibbs second run with the exception of Al Saunders and I am hoping that if GW gets the promotion that history will not repeat itself. Just a thought....

Big difference is Saunders remaining. Also, the Skins let major talent go not understanding how the salary cap worked. Totally different situation.

Does anyone think that Joe Bugel would get a shot at the head job?

I'm pretty sure Buges wouldn't want the job. Actually now that Joe is goin I wouldn't be surprised if Buges followed. I hope he doesn't thought.

As far as this Cowher rumor. It is simply that a rumor which folks around here love. Personally I think we owe GW a shot but I wouldn't mind talking to Cowher. However bringing in Cowher means cleaning house which I'm not a fan of.

Big difference is Saunders remaining. Also, the Skins let major talent go not understanding how the salary cap worked. Totally different situation.

I hope it is a different situation if GW gets the promotion. I really think it would be the right move to keep GW but I do like the personality that Cowher's teams play with. With all do respect to Joe Gibbs coaching legacy, one thing that I have not agreed with is his ho-hum mentality that I have seen. I would love to see this team have the fire of a Greg Lloyd, Kevin Green, Rod Woodson, Hines Ward, etc.....either way, I will support the decision whom ever we decide to guide our franchise.

Archived