Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RUMOR * Cowher Next Coach: Says Cerrato * RUMOR (M.E.T.)

Frediemac

Oh they said it, it has just been a while since they did, that's all. But again, WHERE IS THE LINK? It is not on his blog...I don't get it.

Here's the JLC link:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Posted at 11:22 AM ET, 01/ 8/2008

The Case For Cowher

There are definitely some people in this building who believe that Cowher fits the bill for what Snyder would be attracted to. Had a couple of people tell me that this makes a lot of sense to them. Now, as I mentioned earlier Cowher would want full roster and personnel control and probably want to bring some of his own people in as well on that side of things, and it could mean that someone like Vinny Cerrato got shifted to more of a consulting role as well.

But I spoke to a source who knows Cerrato well who said he believes it will be Bill Cowher. He thinks that Cowher will get the keys to the kingdom and become the first $10-million coach, or in that range. "He's going to want the power Parcells had in Dallas," the source said. "Cowher's going to want to shop for the groceries. He lives in North Carolina, that keeps him pretty close to his home. I think that's where this thing is going."

Given the heavy powers that someone like Cowher would hold, he would likely get a title similar to what Gibbs had, and thus that would continue to render a GM moot in the management structure.

So, from what I can gather so far, and we're way early in this process, Williams and Cowher are the names to watch. People around the league have told me that Snyder and his people soured on Gregg after the 2007 season - it's usually hot today, not tomorrow around here - and were somewhat lukewarm at midseason, but became big fans again down the stretch, particularly after the Minnesota game. Still, these guys think indications point toward Cowher.

Bill Cowher is without a doubt the biggest fish out there, and has a Super Bowl on his resume to boot, and that's usually who they target around here.

THe NFL has rules mandating that teams interview minority candidates for these openings, which means the process generally takes some time even if club's essentially have made up their mind on a candidate. Greg Blache, the Redskins' defensive coordinator, has much expereince at the coordinator level, would fit that description, but he also has no head coaching aspirations, sources said, and has been mulling retirement himself for some time. So I don't think he would want to be a part of any dog and pony show; that's the opposite of Greg's style.

Try scrolling down a little. JLC posted it at 1122am.

My opinion on the on Cowher: He is a players coach which is a plus. He gets the most out of his players because they want to do well for him. So I'll take him. I'd still rather have Williams and continuity, but oh well, Danny has to make his splash.

I hope if Cowher does coach here he doesn't want a Jerome Bettis style runner. I hate watching real big guys run the ball, they're feet are too slow and they need a hole the size of a VW beetle to get through.

I'd love nothing more than to have a power back. Give me Bettis in his prime any day of the week over Barry Sanders in his prime. You can have your dancing around in the backfield, I'll take 4ypc straight ahead and wear down a defense than a guy who's going to eat a loss that will lead to 3 and out. Offensive linemen love a power running game as well. You let them do their job and you'll wear down a defense while getting deep shots downfield in the passing game.

Not that I wouldn't mind having Cowher.... but I think the need to keep Saunders, and keep the chemistry of the team where it is, is more important than picking up a former SB winning coach.

HC has to go to Williams or Saunders, otherwise you end up loosing some of your team mentaly I think.

As I had mentioned in another post, Cohwer may very well win in the regular season and make the playoffs every year but does he have the potential to win the super bowl every year or is it going to be once every 10 years. If you dont like Gibbs conservatism why would like Cohwer's.

Yeah consistancy is overated. I'd hate to compete for a SB 11 times in 15 years. That blows. Only 1 Lombardi trophy? Hang him.

I'd love nothing more than to have a power back. Give me Bettis in his prime any day of the week over Barry Sanders in his prime. You can have your dancing around in the backfield, I'll take 4ypc straight ahead and wear down a defense than a guy who's going to eat a loss that will lead to 3 and out. Offensive linemen love a power running game as well. You let them do their job and you'll wear down a defense while getting deep shots downfield in the passing game.

Cowher has an account on ES?

:)

...and since he was hired how many Super Bowls and playoff appearances have we made. He's taken his teams to 5-6 AFC championships. A couple of those losses I remember were not at all his fault. I know alot of people are ****ing saying that he can't win the big one, but I'd rather have a shot at the big game on a yearly basis than flounder at 6-10 or 8-8 and borrowing the Chicago Cubs motto.

Not saying I want him in particular, but I'l definitly support him if he is hired.

Exactly. The Cowboys in the 70's and 80's only won 2 of 5 SB's, but were in numerous NFC title games and could have easily been in at least 5 more SB's. I agree with you. Isn't this the type of franchise stability we want? And another thing, the Steelers STILL won after he left them with some good talent.

I think that style of game has passed by. Ideally, I think the best bet is a Portis or a Steven Jackson which have the perfect combination of Power and speed. Bettis had ZERO speed, if he got passed the line of scrimmage he did well but if there was no hole he could not make something out of nothing like the new hybrid RB's do. Bettis was just painful to watch if Pittsburgh's offensive line didn't match up well with the opposing defenses.

I would think. I think ARE will big time endorse Cowher. Really folks, he is our best option if we want stability for this team. He has a great track record.
Here's the kicker...If Cowher is indeed the next Redskins coach, and has any say in the offense, will he still look at Randle El as a slash-type player, or will he go along with what Saunders has done in converting him into a full-time WR?

Here's the kicker...If Cowher is indeed the next Redskins coach, and has any say in the offense, will he still look at Randle El as a slash-type player, or will he go along with what Saunders has done in converting him into a full-time WR?

Good question, but I'd say you'd play the heck out of ARE with the money he's making now and I'm sure Cowher knows how to utilize his talent.

This would be HORRIBLE for this team. We need consistancy, if Cowher comes in GW and AS would be gone. GW would most likely go to Miami as HC and AS would go elsewhere. Not to mention the roster changes.

We need GW as a HC to keep continuity.

Archived