Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it time to let Betts go?

jivelikenice

Yeah, Betts will stay, since they did give him a good amount of money last year, and he might be a little hard to trade.

If the O-line gets better, then he wouldn't be bad backing up Portis, since he's more a north-south kind of runner, which is a different style which can keep defenses guessing. I do agree with some people here though, in saying that Betts isn't that good of a blocker, and Cartwright deserves more playing time. Rock seems to be one of the emotional leaders of the team, and it would be a mistake if they let him go.

If we did trade Betts, I suppose Mason would move up, but if we didn't sign Rock too, then I say Draft #35 Owen Schmitt Full Back out of West Virginia University. GUy is strong, can block. Has played from the Fullback, Tail Back, H-Back, and Tight End positions on the field. He'd be a great pickup, is a great blue collar guy.

Yeah thats right OP, sign our guys then cut em. Come on!!! I know we're not known to be very loyal to our "core Skins", but Betts needs to stay here. I think Portis will be 100% healthy in 08', but if something were to happen, do you seriously wanna see Rock starting for us? I love the Rock, but the guy is nothing more then a change-of-pace RB and suprisingly, I pretty good KR.

Dont even think about trading Betts!

If Betts is content here you keep him (unless you get a good offer), but I can't see how the he can be content wit hthe number of touches he got this year. I'm sure he expected more carries.

I think that his relatively sheap long-term contract and low mileage makes him an attractive bargain for a team looking for a RB. He's definitely worth more than a 5th rounder with the low cap number....a 3rd??, maybe but at minimum a 4th or a veteran player in return....Just remember, McGahee went for 2 3rd rounders last year along with a $40 million contract....Betts is making much less and doesn't have the injury history McGahee has.

i like everybody we have in our backfield, but i'm surprised how we kept all those guy so long. at any given point, i wouldn't be surprised to see any of them to go. i don't want that to happen, but i think we need a back-up fullback, and i don't see us havin 6 backs next year. maybe they get some one to be a back-up fullback and tight end. i hope they all stay, but i'll understand if that doesn't happen.

First of all, I love Betts, and think he is a great back, BUT

He doesnt really see a lot of playing time, and the plays he makes, can be made by anyone in my opinion

He is very talented, and would be an automatic starter on a lot of bad teams. Trade him. We could get a 2nd rounder or maybe a good player for a position that we actually need.

If he stays I will be happy though, because I like him, but I think we could get something more valuable by trading him

First of all, I love Betts, and think he is a great back, BUT

He doesnt really see a lot of playing time, and the plays he makes, can be made by anyone in my opinion

He is very talented, and would be an automatic starter on a lot of bad teams. Trade him. We could get a 2nd rounder or maybe a good player for a position that we actually need.

If he stays I will be happy though, because I like him, but I think we could get something more valuable by trading him

I agree. We are in a win-win situation when it comes to what we do with Betts.

there is to guys i would love to get in the fraft who could replace betts:

1. the kidd from ucf he declared last nite amazing talent and amazing speed

2. rashad mendanhall did u see this guy against usc he is the only player that showed up in that game can do it all, i think he is the steal of the draft!!!!

I think having Rock Cartright back there makes Betts expendable and I think we should trade him while he still has high stock, restructure CP, and gives Rock a deal similer to what Betts got. Trade Betts and Lloyd to the Bears for Briggs, straight up. Or Betts to the Jets for Vilma straight up. Id do either of those trades in a heart beat.

OK, here are my points regarding this thread:

1) Betts has a great cap number, doesn't complain, gives a good boost when the line is healthy, plays Special Teams and spells Portis. The only thing we lose is blocking ability on blitzes when he's in the game.

2) No team will trade anything higher than a 5th rounder for a 29 year old backup RB. So forget any first day picks.

3) Did you guys forget about Marcus Mason? Pretty good talent coming back.

4) All you West Virginia and whatever else college homers- I really wish you'd stop pushing your favorite players on us. I'm a Maryland fan, but you don't see me pushing Lance Ball on everyone. Which leads to #5.

5) Glad you guys aren't the GM. We need a big WR, CB, WSLB, SS, OG and DE and you cats want to use one of our 6 picks on a RB? Portis, Betts, Mason, possibly resigning Rock. See how ridicuous that is. Get real.

OK, here are my points regarding this thread:

2) No team will trade anything higher than a 5th rounder for a 29 year old backup RB. So forget any first day picks.

I dont know, what did the Jets give up to land A Train again? He was backing up Cedric Benson, or at least they were splitting carries. Betts last year did what LJ did two years ago, I think we could pull a decent player for player trade, or bundle him with Lloyd and go two players for one player or a draft pick.

Would anyone be shocked if Ladell came out and asked for a trade this off-season and if he does, I just wonder what everyone would think about it. I don't want people to take this as a shot at Betts' ability, but I really think its time we deal him for the mere fact that he deserves a chance at more playing time elsewhere.

I really don't see Betts asking for a trade. He would've waited to hit the market after his breakout season last year is this was the case. He knew what his role would be here when he signed an extension before he hit the FA market. Also, the Redskins know his value to the team, that's why they resigned him. Every member of this team could be upset about their lack of touches besides Cooley.

There is no point in trading Betts unless you receive an offer that you can't refuse. Betts is a very good runner and an asset to this team in a lot of ways. He lacks something that would make him a truly special back but he's good to have when Portis is dinged.

One thing I will say is that I don't want to see Betts in on 3rd down anymore. I don't care if we all have to pitch in to buy Portis his own jugs machine. I simply feel more comfortable with Portis in there on 3rd down. I'm tired of seeing Betts get run over or backing up when a blitz is coming his way.

Archived