Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it time to let Betts go?

jivelikenice

Would anyone be shocked if Ladell came out and asked for a trade this off-season and if he does, I just wonder what everyone would think about it. I don't want people to take this as a shot at Betts' ability, but I really think its time we deal him for the mere fact that he deserves a chance at more playing time elsewhere. Here's why I think it might make sense....

1. I think he could get us a 3rd round pick (Maybe a #2) and considering our holes any draft picks could help. He could possibly even be moved for a player....(How about revisiting a deal for Vilma considering our injuries at linebacker)

2. It would open up more playing time for Rock and especially Marcus Mason who showed good skills last year. I'm really looking forward to seeing how he's developed.

3. Running backs are the easiest position to find so I wouldn't panic over the potential of injury.

Any thoughts? Any word on Mason's development?

Well, this wouldn't surprise me to be honest, considering he doesn't get a whole lot of playing time. What does bother me is that Rock Cartwright will be leaving too, so that means we HAVE to find a backup...kinda bad thinking about it, and I hope it doesn't come down to this.

1.Ladell Betts is turning 29 who would trade for him and make him a featured back?

*3rd rounder? other teams FO is smart their not retarded like ours, why would they give a 3rd rounder? just because we were dumb enough to give a 3rd and a 4th for duckett other teams would consider it.

2.Carwright is a better style of runner to compliment portis, i agree he needs playingtime.

3.yeah if u have a good oline, we dont.

So why did we spend money re-signing Betts last offseason? I thought he was insurance and we wouldn't have Cartwright back... but Betts certainly seemed a bit worn down from getting all those carries in 2006. His new contract makes him nearly a guaranteed roster spot, so this thread is a bit silly...

Betts has to get better, but honestly, the O line played so inconsistently this year b/c of injuries and such that you can't really assess him fairly. He's still weak in pass pro assignments and he didn't do a hell of a lot on the ground. His interior line didn't help. Fabini is not a guard and he almost singlehandedly hurt this team each and every game. Truth be told, I'm even surprised Samuels made it to the Pro Bowl this year and he's normally a beast. None of the O linemen played at a Pro Bowl level, but can you blame them? I just think a lot of the issues with the offense if not all of the issues stemmed from the O line being shifted around from week to week b/c of injuries to key starters. Next year, the injury thing has got to go our way. I think Gibbs will seriously consider changing his practice philosophy next year. These guys were too banged up on game day. He's got to trust them next year and give them more time off to be fresh when Sunday rolls around. I think Betts will be fine next season.

HTTR

Betts has to get better, but honestly, the O line played so inconsistently this year b/c of injuries and such that you can't really assess him fairly. He's still weak in pass pro assignments and he didn't do a hell of a lot on the ground. His interior line didn't help. Fabini is not a guard and he almost singlehandedly hurt this team each and every PLAY. Truth be told, I'm even surprised Samuels made it to the Pro Bowl this year and he's normally a beast. None of the O linemen played at a Pro Bowl level, but can you blame them? I just think a lot of the issues with the offense if not all of the issues stemmed from the O line being shifted around from week to week b/c of injuries to key starters. Next year, the injury thing has got to go our way. I think Gibbs will seriously consider changing his practice philosophy next year. These guys were too banged up on game day. He's got to trust them next year and give them more time off to be fresh when Sunday rolls around. I think Betts will be fine next season.

HTTR

Edited that for you.

He signed a five-year extension with us knowing he was going to be Portis' backup again this season and for the foreseeable future. He likes it here. If he wanted the playing time he could no doubt get elsewhere, why wouldn't he have tested FA after his 1,000 yard year?

I'd say that may be up to Betts and the team. If Clinton restructures and stays, ( I feel that is likely), then things are on Ladell. He may feel he's more of a featured runner than the number 2 guy and ask for a trade. Redskins may not let him do that, being that he is very good in that role.

Would anyone be shocked if Ladell came out and asked for a trade this off-season and if he does, I just wonder what everyone would think about it. I don't want people to take this as a shot at Betts' ability, but I really think its time we deal him for the mere fact that he deserves a chance at more playing time elsewhere. Here's why I think it might make sense....

1. I think he could get us a 3rd round pick (Maybe a #2) and considering our holes any draft picks could help. He could possibly even be moved for a player....(How about revisiting a deal for Vilma considering our injuries at linebacker)

Maybe a 4th or 5th, not sure he's worth it for that, but if we can't sign Rock, then maybe we need to keep him. However, I'd love to see us Draft a guy like Owen Schmitt, the guy can run and block and catch, play from the Full back, tailback, Hback and Tight End Positions on the field. I'd gladly give up sellars or betts to get an extra draft pick to get this guy. And I agree there are a lot of teams needing running backs.

Betts is clearly not the player you want coming to spell Portis and provide the team with a spark off the bench. He is a north-south runner that needs to get his 20 carries to be effective and that just isn't going to happen here.

The problem is that Betts is already 28 years old, 2 years older than Portis. While that may be young for a DE or QB, it is dog years for a runner.

With only the one breakout season in 2006 on his resume I don't know that he has much value right now. Remember Travis Henry and Reuben Droughns rushed for 1,000 yards and found the free agent market difficult enough :)

The Redskins DO need to look for and bring in a younger back with greater speed and quickness to work behind Portis.

We just signed him to a 5-year deal last season. 99% of you were praising the signing saying he was a better RB than half of the starters in the league. Hell... many wanted Betts to start over Portis.

His stats from this year are not very impressive.

He's 29.

He knows our system. Good hands. Good down hill runner. Give him a decent line, and he gets to the second level with good momentum.

Rock would have surpassed Betts already if the coaches beleived he deserved it.

Betts is here to stay.

Betts has to get better, but honestly, the O line played so inconsistently this year b/c of injuries and such that you can't really assess him fairly. He's still weak in pass pro assignments and he didn't do a hell of a lot on the ground. His interior line didn't help. Fabini is not a guard and he almost singlehandedly hurt this team each and every game. Truth be told, I'm even surprised Samuels made it to the Pro Bowl this year and he's normally a beast. None of the O linemen played at a Pro Bowl level, but can you blame them? I just think a lot of the issues with the offense if not all of the issues stemmed from the O line being shifted around from week to week b/c of injuries to key starters. Next year, the injury thing has got to go our way. I think Gibbs will seriously consider changing his practice philosophy next year. These guys were too banged up on game day. He's got to trust them next year and give them more time off to be fresh when Sunday rolls around. I think Betts will be fine next season.

HTTR

I agree with everything except the letting the players do their own thing ... I think that is exactly what has attributed to the amount of hamstring and groin problems we suffered this year. Guys may be working out, but it is hard to force yourself to stretch properly and remain flexible. This is something i struggle with. Trying to devote enough time to thoroughly stretching when i workout to avoid injury.

If anything, this year ... the players need to work on their flexibility and hang around Redskin park. Absolutely no excuse for the amount of pulled hammy's we dealt with this year. Unacceptable for a professional athlete to miss multiple games because of this. Sorry, they can relax at the beach when they are 35 years old and figure out how they want to spend the rest of their days.

For now they need to make sure they are dependable enough on game day that they aren't picking up checks for games that they couldn't play in. Just my $.02

You wouldn't get a 3rd rd pick for Betts.

1) There's a decent group of UFA RBs going to be available (Micheal Turner, Juilus Jones, Justin Fargas)

2) The upcoming draft is going to be pretty deep a RB with the group of JRs declaring. Four have already declared (McFadden, Mendenhall, Kevin Smith, Jamaal Charles). If Felix Jones and Jonathan Stewart declare it could be one of the best RB classes the NFLs seen in a long time.

I like Ladell Betts and think that he is a good to great back up for us. However as we all start to think of things that may be done with the goal of improving hte team for the short and more importantly the long run, could we trade Betts for a 3rd round pick?

Running backs never get traded for anything much higher than a 2 or a 3 even if it is an elite back. But with his proven experience and proven results and his low cost and long term contract I think someone might pull the trigger.

We could then validate giving Rock a contract and some touches and bring along Marcus Mason from the practice squad.

The draft pick I would like to see them use for an OL pick that could push for a starting job in a year or two.

Thoughts?

Archived