Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Haven't watched a boxing ppv in awhile. What time should I expect the Pac fight to start?

probably around 11:30pm(est)

i dont expect the fight to be close. clottey doesn't throw enough punches to win rounds, he'll have to hope he can connect on something brutal to drop manny if he wants to win. i think clottey will be tough enough to last all 12, but honestly i wouldn't be surprised if pac won all 12 rounds tonight

the undercard is:

Humberto Soto/David Diaz (mismatch)

Alfonso Gomez/Jose Luis Castillo (castillo should've retired a long time ago, hasnt been the same since his first fight with Corrales)

it would be in boxings best interest if they actually put some thought into their undercard bouts. it might actually help to draw people back into the sport.

Pac's a puss.

:slap:

Edited by StillUnknown

probably around 11:30pm(est)

i dont expect the fight to be close. clottey doesn't throw enough punches to win rounds, he'll have to hope he can connect on something brutal to drop manny if he wants to win. i think clottey will be tough enough to last all 12, but honestly i wouldn't be surprised if pac won all 12 rounds tonight

the undercard is:

Humberto Soto/David Diaz (mismatch)

Alfonso Gomez/Jose Luis Castillo (castillo should've retired a long time ago, hasnt been the same since his first fight with Corrales)

it would be in boxings best interest if they actually put some thought into their undercard bouts. it might actually help to draw people back into the sport.

:slap:

I'm expecting Pac to win easily as well, but I have a rare Saturday night off so I don't have my normal excuse to turn Big Mike down. :ols:

I have dinner plans though so wanted to make sure I got there on time. Thanks.

Part of the problem with boxing's undercards are the boxers themselves. It is easy to say the promoters should stack the undercard, but then you hear James Toney talk about being disrespected by being asked to be on an undercard. The egos in boxing are through the roof and they have grown in the sport to think lower of fighters on the undercards. They see it as a demotion. Too bad.

what a suck ass fight

I was extremely disappointed with this fight. I blame Arum for setting up that wackass fight.

I actually felt bad for Clottey. He was more of a sacrificial lamb. He had a way too conservative game plan, but hey can you blame him? If he would have opened up just a little and fought, Pacman would have laid him out.

i hate that i was right

what frustrated me the most is that Clottey had some moderate success when he did let his hands go. clottey landed clean punches (that resulted in pac's face being bruised up by the end) when he did let go of his hands, they were just so few and far between

you dont really learn anything from that fight that we didnt already know though.

From my favorite boxing blog:

BATB has learned that three-time world champion Paul "The Punisher" Williams will appear in an exhibition bout on the Babie Girl Productions card on Friday, April 2 at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center in DC.

Williams (38-1, 27 KO's) is in the Beltway area to prepare for his May 8 bout against Kermit Cintron, a bout that DC has an outside shot at getting. Williams will be working with Arlington, VA light heavyweight Otganbayer Daivii in the exhibition.

I have a contact if you want tix. $45 for the cheapest seats but I MIGHT be able to get them cheaper (no guarantees). PM me.

:box:

Edited by ACW

big night of fights tomorrow on Showtime & HBO:

on Showtime, the Super Six Tourney continues with Arthur Abraham vs. Andre Dirrell. this fight will end one of two way, Dirrell by Unanimous Decision or Arthur Abraham by knockout. Dirrell has all the physical gifts to be special, but he hasnt shown the necessary aggressiveness. against Abraham, he should be able to use his length and handspeed to rack up points against Abraham's turtle shell defense. even if he's not connecting clean, he should be able to win rounds on activity alone because Abraham often gives rounds away by not throwing enough. Dirrell should have learned from his controversial lost to Froch, that he has to throw punches if he wants to win. For his part, Abraham needs to open up more and be the aggressor. if he does, he can force Dirrell back on his bicycle. Abraham only needs one chance to end a fight, his power is ridiculous.

my official prediction is Dirrel by Unanimous Decision

HBO counters with a double-header of:

Marcos Maidana vs. Victor Cayo

Ali Funeka vs. Joan Guzmann II

Maidana is bulldog with killer power, he's the guy who made Victor Ortiz quit last year. Cayo is an undefeated talent but this is a major step up in competition for him. Maidana will probably KO him, but it wont be easy

Funeka & Guzman are rematching a bout from last year in which Funeka clearly won, but the judges ruled it a majority draw. to make matters worse, Guzman weighed in 9lbs overweight for this bout :mad:. Guzman's career is done win or lose because this is the 2nd time he hasn't made weight for a title fight. should Funeka win, he'll still get the belt (this fight could be called off if Guzman weighs more than 150lbs tomorrow)

The politics of boxing strike their ugly head once again. ESPN.com's Dan Rafael is reporting that promoter Bob Arum has had a change of plans and will not match undefeated and number one contender Anthony Peterson in a title shot against newly-crowned WBC Lightweight champ Humberto Soto on June 5 at Yankee Stadium in New York that was scheduled to be televised on HBO.

"It isn't going to be Soto-Peterson on that card," Arum told ESPN.com. Apparently, Soto wants to fight in Mexico and is looking to go that route.

From that blog.

God I HATE boxing politics :mad: :rolleyes:

Showtime will have the better fight of the two networks. I like both Dirrell and Abraham, but "King Arthur" is going to put Dirrell to sleep just like he did Taylor. I think Dirrell gets KO'ed by 11. Dirrell will need to outbox and avoid getting hit with power punches. I think he'll outbox Abraham for quite a bit and then get caught late. Too much power in both hands of Abraham. Just ask Miranda and Taylor. LOL!!! Those punches came out of nowhere.

As for HBO, Maidana should get by Cayo. Funeka was robbed in the last fight with Guzman. I think he gets a unanimous decision, if the fight goes through. Good night of boxing, plus UFC. Should be an awesome night of fights.

Dirrell wins by DQ in Round 11. Abraham hit Dirrell with a cheap shot after he slipped and fell in the corner. Was scary for a bit due to Dirrell being out of it after the illegal punch. Dirrell was winning the fight and was on his way to an unanimous decision.

dirrell executed a flawless gameplan against abraham. That's the dirrell the boxing world has been waiting to see. I hope he's okay though, that illegal blow he took was vicious. He had no idea what happened well after he got punched. He'll be lucky to come out of that with just a concussion