Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/7916213/chad-dawson-andre-ward-bout-works

Light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson and super middleweight champion Andre Ward are both coming off the biggest wins of their careers, but instead of taking it easy, they are planning to fight each other in September in a match of two of the best fighters in the world.

Dan Goossen, Ward's promoter, and Gary Shaw, Dawson's promoter, are in negotiations with HBO, which wants the bout.

"We have two fighters in their primes, two lineal champions. I think it's a great fight. You just don't get it in our sport too often," Goossen told ESPN.com on Thursday. "Two champions facing one another allows the winner to go out there and continue his climb to super stardom. That's what this fight is about. We need more of this in boxing. In boxing we want the big fights and it's very seldom you can have two world champions willing to face each other in their primes."

Goossen and Shaw said they are still discussing the specific weight limit -- whether it will be for the super middleweight or light heavyweight title.

"Our intent is to have it for Andre's super middleweight championship," Goossen said. "I still have a few things to close up with Gary. Gary and I have had good conversations and we're moving in the direction to making this fight happen."

Shaw said the fight could be at a catch weight slightly above the 168-pound super middleweight limit for Dawson's 175-pound world title.

Interesting fight if it gets made. Significant in terms of rankings and prestige, but has the makings of a stinker in terms of in ring action.

Can you elaborate on that? I am not familiar with their styles so I don't know...

Ward is a more of counter puncher, he doesn't like to lead, although he can. Dawson doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body, so it could be two guys sitting on the outside waiting to counter something that never comes.

Then again, I could be completely wrong. Both are highly skilled boxers and could deliver a well fought tactical fight, not all tactical fights turn out boring.

Right now, I would lean towards Ward winning because he can make it a dirty fight and get Dawson of his game mentally.

On a sidenote, I wish this fight were at 168 or 175. I hate catch-weights.

Edited by StillUnknown

I see. So this would probably be you purist boxing fan fight...

Its a fight between 2 highly ranked guys in their primes, its as about as good as you can ask for in today's boxing world where mismatches are more common. You just hope the in ring excitement delivers.

Definitely one for those who appreciate the science more than the all out brawl.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/7919965/floyd-mayweather-miguel-cotto-rakes-94m-ppv-sales

They don't call Floyd Mayweather Jr. "Money" for nothing.

Mayweather's junior middleweight title victory against Miguel Cotto on HBO PPV last Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas generated a whopping 1.5 million pay-per-view buys and $94 million in domestic pay-per-view revenue, HBO Sports announced Friday.

The performance ranks as the second-highest grossing pay-per-view for a non-heavyweight fight in history.

No. 1 all time remains Mayweather's 2007 victory against Oscar De La Hoya, in which he also claimed a junior middleweight belt. That fight generated all-time records for any weight class with 2.46 million buys and $137 million in pay-per-view revenue.

The 1.5 million figure for Mayweather-Cotto will grow once all of the numbers are accounted for, according to Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, who promoted the fight with Mayweather Promotions.

"The 1.5 million number is actual reported numbers," Schaefer told ESPN.com. "The final number will definitely be bigger than what it is now."

Mayweather was guaranteed 32mil before the ppv numbers, with those figures, he's probably looking at a 50-60mil payday.

Cotto will also receive a nice sized bonus in addition to his 8mil guarantee.

Edited by StillUnknown

On Jim Lampleys new show, "The Fight Game", Bob Arum was on and he proposed "If Mayweather thinks he's the best, 45% for Mayweather, 45% for Pacquiao and the winner gets the remaining 10%.

That sounds fair to me.

Edited by DM72

On Jim Lampleys new show, "The Fight Game", Bob Arum was on and he proposed "If Mayweather thinks he's the best, 45% for Mayweather, 45% for Pacquiao and the winner gets the remaining 10%.

That sounds fair to me.

Boxing hasn't operated on "fair" in my lifetime, wouldn't expect it to start now.

That sounds fair to me.

How often does that happen in boxing? You guessed it! it doesn't. Mayweather deserves more of the share point blank at least 55-45. If PAC beats May then next fight PAC could get the advantage.

How often does that happen in boxing? You guessed it! it doesn't. Mayweather deserves more of the share point blank at least 55-45. If PAC beats May then next fight PAC could get the advantage.

This is a one and done fight. There won't be any rematches. And Pacquiao deserves as much of the pie as Mayweather. You talk about 55-45, Mayweather's talking around 22-72 considering he reportingly offered Pacquiao $40 million of a fight that could generate $200 million. I don't blame Pac, I would have told May to stick that offer up his ass too.

I know May and his fans are gonna use this last PPV to justify why he deserves the lions share of the purse because his PPV (1.5 million buys) will do better than Pac's PPV June 9. But you have to consider this, May's PPV had not just him, but 3 other marketable fighters and one was a Mexican Fighter and another was a Puerto Rican fighter and the other was an aging superstar who still has a name. Pacquiao on the otherhand has to market his fight all by himself. He has to sell the public Tim Bradley where Floyd really didn't have to do that with Cotto. Big difference.

After watching the fight between Mayweather and Cotto this past weekend I did notice one thing that could cause Mayweather some issues if he were to ever choose to fight Pacquiao. Cotto pushed on him and May chose to roll the punches with his shoulder in the corner but many times he was vulnerable to a left hook (if you could find his head, great head movement). With the fact that Manny is a south paw and an obvious aggressive puncher I do believe he'll catch Floyd with some big shots that he's not used to catching.

With all that being said, I do know and acknowledge Floyd's ring intelligence and would tend to believe that he would keep the fight in the middle of the ring all night long to maximize his speed and counter punching ability. For that I believe he would win a decision and/or even KO Manny. If for some reason he chose to keep doing what he's done in his last several fights and let his opponent cut the ring off and pin him in the corner I think Manny would KO Floyd.

In general I just found it more interesting to think about since Cotto was able to get to him more than anyone else in recent memory and it all took place in the corner and due to Floyd for whatever reason, allowing it to happen (reminded me a lot of Roy Jones when his age went up and he basically would just rest on the ropes and it eventually led to his demise albeit Floyd's D is much better than Roy's ever was).

This is a one and done fight. There won't be any rematches. And Pacquiao deserves as much of the pie as Mayweather. You talk about 55-45, Mayweather's talking around 22-72 considering he reportingly offered Pacquiao $40 million of a fight that could generate $200 million. I don't blame Pac, I would have told May to stick that offer up his ass too.

I know May and his fans are gonna use this last PPV to justify why he deserves the lions share of the purse because his PPV (1.5 million buys) will do better than Pac's PPV June 9. But you have to consider this, May's PPV had not just him, but 3 other marketable fighters and one was a Mexican Fighter and another was a Puerto Rican fighter and the other was an aging superstar who still has a name. Pacquiao on the otherhand has to market his fight all by himself. He has to sell the public Tim Bradley where Floyd really didn't have to do that with Cotto. Big difference.

Conditions were similar when Pac fought Cotto and Mayweather still put up the bigger PPV #'s. Pac had a Chavez Jr in the co-main event who is a bigger star in Mexico than Canelo. When facing the same opponents Mayweather's PPV's have sold more, largely because he has a large segment of people that will pay to watch him lose, Manny doesn't generate that kind of hatred.

All that being said, 50/50 is the way to go on the fight, and will ultimately be the split if they ever do fight. Numbers being thrown around now are just arbitrary and don't really mean anything.

Conditions were similar when Pac fought Cotto and Mayweather still put up the bigger PPV #'s. Pac had a Chavez Jr in the co-main event who is a bigger star in Mexico than Canelo. When facing the same opponents Mayweather's PPV's have sold more, largely because he has a large segment of people that will pay to watch him lose, Manny doesn't generate that kind of hatred.

All that being said, 50/50 is the way to go on the fight, and will ultimately be the split if they ever do fight. Numbers being thrown around now are just arbitrary and don't really mean anything.

Do they consider the international market because Manny has to be the bigger star overseas. But I agree, Floyd needs to swallow his pride for once and agree to do the fight 50/50. If he doesn't make this fight, his legacy will take a beating.

Mayweather is way bigger over seas Europe (second biggest market)he has a pretty solid fan base he's respected through out. Mexicans, Cubans all like Mayweather more. Only place PAC is more popular is his home and other asian countries THAT'S IT. Cut the over seas crap out

..... I am willing to bet that out of the last 1,000 posts of this thread, over 60% of the dialogue probably goes something like this:

"Pac's ducking Floyd"

"No way man, Floyd's ducking Pac!!!."

"You're crazy! Why can't Pac just take the test!?!?"

"Why can't Floyd just be a man and make the fight?!?!"

"You're an idiot!"

"You're a Pacquiao fanboy!!!'

"**** Bob Arum!"

"**** Mayweather!"

"**** Pacquiao!"

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Mayweather is way bigger over seas Europe (second biggest market)he has a pretty solid fan base he's respected through out. Mexicans, Cubans all like Mayweather more. Only place PAC is more popular is his home and other asian countries THAT'S IT. Cut the over seas crap out

And you know this, how? No offense, but I think you're full of it.

Edited by DM72

..... I am willing to bet that out of the last 1,000 posts of this thread, over 60% of the dialogue probably goes something like this:

"Pac's ducking Floyd"

"No way man, Floyd's ducking Pac!!!."

"You're crazy! Why can't Pac just take the test!?!?"

"Why can't Floyd just be a man and make the fight?!?!"

"You're an idiot!"

"You're a Pacquiao fanboy!!!'

"**** Bob Arum!"

"**** Mayweather!"

"**** Pacquiao!"

Actually you're wrong, for the most part the thread is used during/after a fight night. However, any and all Floyd vs Manny talk is basically what you summarize