Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

According to Nevada commission -- Pacquiao's base purse is $6 million, Bradley's, $5 million

That seems very low. I know Bradley's not a well known fighter, but I would think Pac's base would be a little higher. One thing I do agree with Mayweather on is, he should leave Top Rank.

Floyd was on too something! Too major fights cancelled because of random drug testing. I am disappointed I was so looking forward too Berto vs Ortiz and Khan Peterson

It wouldn't surprise me if 60-70% of all boxers were on something.

If anybody cared to really dig into the issue, boxing would be shut down.

Floyd was on too something! Too major fights cancelled because of random drug testing. I am disappointed I was so looking forward too Berto vs Ortiz and Khan Peterson

Floyd wasn't on to nothing. Nothing was said about steroids until Floyd Sr accused Pacquiao, for no good reason, of taking steroids and Jr ran with it. Not once did either of the Mayweathers "formally" address any state athletic commission with their concerns.

Lol you hate the hell out of Floyd too admit the obvious, the man is a fighter theres a great chance he knew what is going on in the sport. Here PACQUIAO comes in knocking people 20+ pounds heavier the f*** out, and saw that he's a guy who is doing the unthinkable and raised a red flag.

So Floyd said its alot of dirty fighters out there and wants unlimited random blood and urine test. This year more fighters started adopting the testing that Floyd STARTED and here we have 2 good fighters test positive. I am not saying Manny is or was doping but there should be testing and the BS las Vegas boxing commission That Manny and Roach swears by have failed too catch these guys but the random test nailed them.

Who cares why Floyd was there I don't care if hes a fan of Berto or scouting his next potiental fight who just happen too be the winner Ortiz it didn't have no effect on Berto being caught red handed.

The best part about these test is that these guys agreed too the test and still think they could either mask there cheating or was sure they wouldn't get caught. Either way another win for Floyd! RANDOM BLOOD AND URINE TEST IS A MUST FOR ALL CHAMPIONSHIP FIGHTS AT LEAST.

Has Pac EVER failed a drug test? Again, if he's so into "cleaning up the sport" then why didn't he go to the Nevada athletic commission and voice his concerns? Toney, Mosley, Peterson and now Berto has all failed drug test. I'be never heard Floyd utter any of their names. Pac hasn't failed a test, but he insists that he's on something.

Again, it was Sr who got the ball rolling, not Jr. And Pac's the one they want to be in steroids, Floyd could care less about Peterson and Berto.

Has Pac EVER failed a drug test? Again, if he's so into "cleaning up the sport" then why didn't he go to the Nevada athletic commission and voice his concerns? Toney, Mosley, Peterson and now Berto has all failed drug test. I'be never heard Floyd utter any of their names. Pac hasn't failed a test, but he insists that he's on something.

Again, it was Sr who got the ball rolling, not Jr. And Pac's the one they want to be in steroids, Floyd could care less about Peterson and Berto.

Peterson and Berto failed because of Floyd's testing, PAC has never did the random blood and urine test he's afraid of the needle.

All those guys never failed a test until they got caught.

Edited by SiCkSoULjA

It wouldn't surprise me if 60-70% of all boxers were on something.

If anybody cared to really dig into the issue, boxing would be shut down.

QFT

I guess the only reason no one digs into boxing and the rampant steriod use and lack of testing is because of just how dirty it is? Higher ups getting paid off to look another way or maybe boxing has slid so far back from the limelight that no one really cares.

Either way I'm in strong support of what Jr. has caused but I do agree it stemmed from being scared of his opponent and grasping at that straw which in all accounts and purposes was probably the truth about Manny since he denied the test.....now he's good with the test....

Anyhow, another disappointment but it's for the best since someone was exposed for cheating and thus their image tarnished, bad for us fans

QFT

I guess the only reason no one digs into boxing and the rampant steriod use and lack of testing is because of just how dirty it is? Higher ups getting paid off to look another way or maybe boxing has slid so far back from the limelight that no one really cares.

Either way I'm in strong support of what Jr. has caused but I do agree it stemmed from being scared of his opponent and grasping at that straw which in all accounts and purposes was probably the truth about Manny since he denied the test.....now he's good with the test....

Anyhow, another disappointment but it's for the best since someone was exposed for cheating and thus their image tarnished, bad for us fans

I think people don't go digging because they just don't care.

Boxing is only talked about casually when Floyd or Manny fights. Other shows are only watched by the die-hards. Its similar to horse racing, people watch the triple crown races and nothing else.

The various athletic commissions don't have the funds necessary to do strict testing regularly. Casuals don't care about to sport so they don't recognize how bad the problem has become. Its hard to make change when only die-hards care about the product.

I think people don't go digging because they just don't care.

Boxing is only talked about casually when Floyd or Manny fights. Other shows are only watched by the die-hards. Its similar to horse racing, people watch the triple crown races and nothing else.

The various athletic commissions don't have the funds necessary to do strict testing regularly. Casuals don't care about to sport so they don't recognize how bad the problem has become. Its hard to make change when only die-hards care about the product.

I think Boxing is much bigger than you make it out too be, as far as PPV yeah then only the top draws get the attention and thats the way it always had and always should be. HBO and SHOWTIME gets pretty decent ratings every fight almost with a pretty known name when people turn the channel and see people fighting, I would like too think that if people tune in at least for a few rounds too see if its anything worth watching vs horse racing a few times a year and a chunk of that is for gambling reasons.

Even then you say the die-hards only care well half the "die-hards" turned the other cheek and refused too believe that Pacman or anybody else could be cheating in the sport. Announsers, other fighters and the hardcore thats directly related too boxing thought or think that Mayweather was or is ducking Pac even if he was clearly running from the test. This fight should have happened 2 years ago with people demanding that Pac take test too prove that hes clean, but the media let him get a out by saying why is Mayweather demanding such test. Floyd took alot of flack because he is demanding something that is the right thing too do.

I think Boxing is much bigger than you make it out too be, as far as PPV yeah then only the top draws get the attention and thats the way it always had and always should be. HBO and SHOWTIME gets pretty decent ratings every fight almost with a pretty known name when people turn the channel and see people fighting, I would like too think that if people tune in at least for a few rounds too see if its anything worth watching vs horse racing a few times a year and a chunk of that is for gambling reasons.

Even then you say the die-hards only care well half the "die-hards" turned the other cheek and refused too believe that Pacman or anybody else could be cheating in the sport. Announsers, other fighters and the hardcore thats directly related too boxing thought or think that Mayweather was or is ducking Pac even if he was clearly running from the test. This fight should have happened 2 years ago with people demanding that Pac take test too prove that hes clean, but the media let him get a out by saying why is Mayweather demanding such test. Floyd took alot of flack because he is demanding something that is the right thing too do.

The HBO & Showtime cards are lucky if they get 2mil viewers for their shows, and it usually takes a very popular Mexican fighter (its why they keep putting bums in front of Chavez Jr.) to hit those numbers. Its usually much lower, especially on showtime.

Die-hards already know most of the sport is doping, but again, they have little power to change anything. Die-hards also realize that there is plenty of blame to go on both sides in the Mayweather/Pac situation. That's one reason I don't really argue the fight anymore, unless its about what will happen in the ring.

Boxing media did not give Manny a pass, he was criticized for not accepting the test on many sites I read. The main stream talking heads on ESPN & other big networks gave him a pass, but they only talk boxing for like 15 minutes a year so I tend not to put much weight in what they say.

As for Floyd, it looks funny when you all of the sudden want to clean up the sport just before facing Manny. Even if his motives are pure, which I doubt, timing matters. Honestly, I don't think Floyd cares if Manny is doping or not. He's doing this simply to **** with him. Floyd had the power to put those restrictions on any fight he was in after the DLH ppv #'s came in, instead he chose to only start with Manny. It was a negotiation tool, nothing more. Floyd could care less about "cleaning up" boxing.

Edited by StillUnknown

You have some points on the viewers and ratings.

I don't think Mayweathers sudden drug testing demands when Manny started too come around is funny what's funny is Mannys rise too the top, he's always been small but then he moves up in weight and knocking people out way bigger then him. You hit him and he smashes his gloves together begging for more. He thinks the guy is doing roids so he wants testing and too make it fair for for everyone that wants too fight him has too do the test.

Edited by SiCkSoULjA

Boxing is only talked about casually anymore because it's become more corrupt than ever. And yes there is plenty of money to control the doping issue if they wanted to.

For me, doping isn't as big of an issue as watching these bouts, where CLEARLY one person wins, but money, greed, corruption, and a losing fighter gets the win because that fighter has more purse power than the winner.

Some of the judgements I have seen of late have been terrible.

I don't think Mayweathers sudden drug testing demands when Manny started too come around is funny what's funny is Mannys rise too the top.......

Can you give it a rest for a bit? I mean no offense but all you talk about is having Floyd's back on a Redskin message board even when someone else just states their opinion. Let it go sometimes

With that being said, someone last commented on the corruptness of boxing. I don't think it is any worse now than it has been but one observation I've made over the last 10 years or so is that Golden Boy was formed with a lot of former big name boxers (De La Hoya, joining later Moseley, BHop) in order to help give boxers better share of money over promoters. Then it grew, now it's more or less no different in its corruptness than any other promotional team. I say this with no real evidence other than the fact that nothing in boxing has "changed"

If you wanted to clean the sport up you really would need someone with a lot of money to show the same interest of cleaning up the sport. You would need to market the sport on regular TV and/or you would need to market the sport via an ESPN show. Again this is where I'd say the most money would be needed, I think fans would follow if you brought a lot of the good fights back to regular cable programming such as ESPN and I don't mean FNF. If you do that you can build the sport then clean it as you go by creating new standardized rules for wherever you fight but it would be much in the way of creating a league in which you can monitor and rule (commissioner).

None of this will ever happen, but it would be interesting to see someone try it IMO.

Golden Boy has been good for the sport fighters seem happy and don't seem too be locked into a contract like most of Top Rank fighters. Bob Arum is the most corrupt man in the sport him and Don King. Like you said the fighters are getting paid fair.

With Golden Boy it seems like they are working for you

With Top Rank it seems like you are working for them.

There seems too be way more questionable deceisons involving Top Rank fighters.

Golden Boy has been good for the sport fighters seem happy and don't seem too be locked into a contract like most of Top Rank fighters. Bob Arum is the most corrupt man in the sport him and Don King. Like you said the fighters are getting paid fair.

With Golden Boy it seems like they are working for you

With Top Rank it seems like you are working for them.

There seems too be way more questionable decisions involving Top Rank fighters.

I would tend to agree with you on that as well. Don King has actually faded from the limelight as of late from the fights I personally witness. It seems like he was on top of the world throughout the 90s and into early 2000s but then was exposed I guess and fighters have often signed elsewhere. However, I think he was the most corrupt of all time and Bob Arum would be in a close second. Now that Top Rank has survived all these years I'd agree that Arum keeps money in house as much as possible to make himself as rich as possible and is basically full of b.s.

Out of all the managements to choose from Golden Boy appears to be the best for the fighters but they are not changing boxing in any other fashion than treating the actual boxers better than they previously were. It boils down to an educational factor, all other promotional companies exploit the boxers lack of education where Golden Boy appears not to do that so much.

Carl Froch vs. Lucian Bute today on EPIX if you get that channel, fight should be starting shortly.

First time in a while that Bute has faced someone with a remote chance of beating him.

---------- Post added May-26th-2012 at 07:37 PM ----------

Froch beat the piss out of Bute.

Thats what happens when you go from fighting cans to championship level fighters.

Edited by StillUnknown

http://www.wrdw.com/sports/headlines/Boxer_Paul_The_Punisher_Williams_likely_paralyzed_after_wreck_155117385.html#.T8PXK_gfPgU.twitter

ATLANTA -- In a decorated career in the boxing ring, Paul Williams picked up three belts and the nickname, "The Punisher." Now, Williams has a bigger fight ahead.

After a Sunday morning motorcycle crash near Atlanta, Williams is likely paralyzed from the waist down.

Manager George Peterson told News 12 that he's in the hospital with a surgery scheduled for Wednesday. That surgery will be to stabilize the healthy upper half of his spine by putting a protective wall around it.

Williams was schedule to fight Saul Alvarez for the WBC Light Middleweight title Sept. 15 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

:(

Edited by StillUnknown