Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Ortiz's team  is claiming it is blood pressure medication containing HCTZ. The HCTZ can be used as a diuretic. Is it possible, he's hiding something? Who knows? Doesn't look good with his past. However, if you go to the emergency room for treatment, the doctors just give you medicine for your issues. They aren't usually concerned about your profession and what is on the banned substance list for pro athletes.

As a pro athlete, you are responsible for what you put in your body. Ortiz should have known better. I hope it's just high blood pressure medication and nothing else. He can always get a different prescription that doesn't include a banned substance. 

I still wanna see this fight if they can get through this issue. Wilder needs some true competition.  Don't wanna see him fight another cab driver. 

So, long story short...Late in his life, my grandfather was fortunate enough to mostly avoid nursing homes and receive nursing service at his residence. From roughly 2011 to 2013, his head nurse was a salty old girl from Ecuador named Sigrid, and...she was the mother-in-law of an up-and-coming heavyweight named Bermane Stiverne.  When my brother and I would visit for the holidays, we would all talk boxing and Siggy, being very impressed that we knew about Bermane's career, promised that one day she would arrange for us to attend one of his fights through his camp.

Well, granddad passed away approximately 2 years ago and we were all pretty sure we'd heard the last of Sigrid, BUT...guess who called up my mother yesterday to offer a couple of passes to the fight on November 4?!?  Life is a trip!

Anyway, look for a guy in a #21 Redskins jersey not too far from ringside if you're gonna watch Wilder/Stiverne 2.

:headbang:

• Like 4

Lubin is still a good prospect.  I didn't think he was ready for the title shot,  but you never pass up a title chance if you are confident in your skills. Charlo put him OUT! I barely saw that punch. Good talent at both the 154 lbs and 147 lbs division.  Hurd and Charlo should unify next. Then Lara.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two 2-time Olympic Gold Medalists square off this Saturday on ESPN. Vasyl "Hi-Tech" Lomachenko vs Guillermo "El Chacal" Rigondeaux battle for Loma's 130 lbs title. As talented and as decorated as these guys are, the lack of promotion leading up to this fight is pathetic. Rigo is a 4-1 or 5-1 underdog. Lots of talk about the winner being the #1P4P boxer. Not sure about that, cause their resumes don't stand up to some other fighters. But all the recent videos of both guys training got me hyped.  This should be a boxing fan's dream match (Great Offense vs Great Defense).

Rigo has been begging for a fight with anyone. Everyone from Leo Santa Cruz, Abner Mares, Carl Frampton and Scott Quigg are scared ****less and want no part of Rigo. Rigo and his team have been trolling Loma hard for months on social media before they caved in and gave him a title shot. Only BS with this is that Rigo (122 lbs champ) has to move up to 130 lbs for the fight. They couldn't agree on catchweight and the money wasn't right. Now, he's daring to be great! 

Sanctioning bodies are being crazy. If Rigo loses, he'll lose his 122 lbs championship. WTF!!!

Loma is an excellent offensive boxer, with good footwork who switches from side to side (Matrix-like) and makes guys miss, while landing his many punches. He embarrassed Gary Russell Jr and made Nicholas Walters quit in his corner.  He did get roughed up by Orlando Salido and lost his 2nd pro fight trying to capture a title within 2 fights. Lacks power (Rocky Martinez probably disagrees), but makes up for it with crazy offensive output. He will touch you up. 

Rigo is a master defensive boxer, with great footwork, timing, speed and power. He's broken a some jaws, an eye socket and has 1-punch KO power. If his power translates to the weight gain, gonna be interesting. He's 37 years old and his chin has gotten him dropped on multiple occasions by lesser fighters.

Lots of intrigue in this one. Most importantly is Bob Arum. He hates Rigo for destroying Nonito Donaire's career. Refused to promote him due to his boring defensive style. No matter how good Rigo is/was, the odds aren't in his favor. I doubt he'll win a fair decision.  

However, I think RIGO got this. He'll win by KO or TKO. He knows the deck is stacked against him. Once Loma feels Rigo's power, he'll change his approach. Body shot (left hook) stops Loma in his tracks. Rigo is gonna put in the body work and then catch him upstairs with his patented left to end the fight. Rigo in 9! 

My 2 cents, but I'm just a little biased. 2017 has been a great year for boxing. Hope 2018 can bring us more great fights. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Boxing on both HBO and Showtime tonight. On HBO,  you got Sergey Kovalev 174.6 vs. Igor Mikhalkin 172.6 for (WBO light heavyweight title) and Dmitry Bivol 174.4 vs. Sullivan Barrera 173.6 (WBA light heavyweight title). Kovalev and Bivol are favored. I'll take both by KO.

On Showtime, you got Deontay Wilder 214.75 vs. Luis Ortiz 241.25 (WBC heavyweight title) and a rematch between Andre Dirrell 167.75 vs. Jose Uzcategui 166 (IBF interim super middleweight title).  Wilder and Dirrell are favored. Wilder by KO and Uzcategui by SD. I think he was winning the 1st fight until the DQ.

Just hoping for some good action and no post fight shenanigans or judging drama.

Edited by ksun247