Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/06/25/nick.charles.obit/

Nick Charles, who started off as a taxi driver and later became the first sports anchor at CNN, died Saturday after battling bladder cancer since 2009. He was 64.

Charles covered everything from the Olympics to the Super Bowl to the Kentucky Derby. But boxing was his passion.

He covered some of the most classic boxing matches -- when Tyson bit Evander Holyfield's ear, when Roberto Duran quit and told Sugar Ray Leonard, "No mas."

Seeing an undefeated Tyson get knocked out by Buster Douglas in Tokyo in 1990 was epic.

"That night was magical," Charles said. "It speaks to the uncertainty, that anybody's cloak of invincibility can be ripped away."

Charles would cry when he talked about the strength of boxers, because when he looked at the ring, he saw young men like him from the inner city who had to rely on themselves to reach success.

"You have to walk down that alley way to the ring," he said. "You're going to get hit. You have to take pain to get it. You have to fight through fear."

"There's just such an empathy I have for these guys. They want it so badly."

he was great as a commentator on Showtime. Terrible to see him go, but very glad he isn't suffering anymore.

Devon Alexander vs Lucas Mathysse

Early rounds Devon came out very fast in general from hands to feet to movement. Lucas stayed about the same throughout the whole fight basically steadily moving forward throwing body shots mixed with head shots.

The harder punches all night were by Mathysse. Alexander did go down in the 4th on a nice shot but he wasn't really hurt by the punch and remained hyped up till about the 7th round. In the 7th it was like falling off a cliff with his energy level. Overall a very fun fight to watch. Alexander wins on scorecard by split decision with very odd scores so I'm going to score it myself and see how my numbers come out. Alexander won by 96-93, 95-94 with Mathysse getting one by 96-93

Alexander =10 9 10 8 10 10 9 9 10 10 = 95

Mathysse = 9 10 9 10 9 9 10 10 9 10 = 95

Okay I honestly would of given the fight a draw because I felt my score was the same as Lederman's (which was tied going into the 10th) and I didn't see either one pulling away from each other so that is why I gave it a 10-10. For anyone to have the fight so one sided for either of the two is just not right. I can agree if all cards were 95-94 assuming someone picked a winner of the 10th. So in short its unfortunate for Mathysse but both fighters did very well and possibly all they could do and I still felt it was even.

Also, I forgot that it was a Don King fight which was a first in a long time and we have scoring questions.........and people wonder why Boxing has lost so much ground to MMA much less other sports.

Edited by ClemsSC7Skinfan

Okay I honestly would of given the fight a draw because I felt my score was the same as Lederman's (which was tied going into the 10th) and I didn't see either one pulling away from each other so that is why I gave it a 10-10. For anyone to have the fight so one sided for either of the two is just not right. I can agree if all cards were 95-94 assuming someone picked a winner of the 10th. So in short its unfortunate for Mathysse but both fighters did very well and possibly all they could do and I still felt it was even.

Also, I forgot that it was a Don King fight which was a first in a long time and we have scoring questions.........and people wonder why Boxing has lost so much ground to MMA much less other sports.

That "decision" was a joke. Alexander had his ass handed to him. I liked the commentary that Alexander was boxing like some used to refer to as shoe polishing. Soft touches which simply glazed the face of Mathysse.

This is why boxing sucks.

If anything the decision should have been a draw, although Mathysse clearly was the winner from a pure domination perspective. 12 rounds and Alexander might not have survived....although Mathysse was tired.

This Saturday is the most important fight in David Hayes' career. For over 2 years, he's talked smack from London to Las Vegas. Not many people are giving him a chance to win against Klitschko. I hope David Haye wins but the odds are not looking good. I really do hope this fight goes the distance because of how long it's been building. Max Kellermans' sit down with both of them was very intense. This is going to be epic. If Haye loses, he'll lose everything.

:helmet:

I hope Haye wins. I'm sick of the Klitschkos. Either fight each other or give up the title.

you actually want to see them fight each other?

It would be horrible fight. Neither one of them would pull the trigger. They're actually really close brothers from all I've read. It would be 12 rounds of the lightest jabs you've ever seen from 250+ men.

I don't really like to watch them fight, but I almost feel sorry for them in a way. They're skill and accomplishments will be written off because of the incredibly weak era they happened to fight in. Their size and skill level alone would've given alot of all-time HW greats hell (particularly Vitali because he has an iron chin)

you actually want to see them fight each other?

It would be horrible fight. Neither one of them would pull the trigger. They're actually really close brothers from all I've read. It would be 12 rounds of the lightest jabs you've ever seen from 250+ men.

I don't really like to watch them fight, but I almost feel sorry for them in a way. They're skill and accomplishments will be written off because of the incredibly weak era they happened to fight in. Their size and skill level alone would've given alot of all-time HW greats hell (particularly Vitali because he has an iron chin)

They did do a simulated fight in a movie, that I can't remember the name of. But your right, which is why this fight is so important. I hope Haye wins by knockout. It probably won't happen but I can at least hope.

They did do a simulated fight in a movie, that I can't remember the name of. But your right, which is why this fight is so important. I hope Haye wins by knockout. It probably won't happen but I can at least hope.

I expect Haye to come early and threaten with one or two shots, but then Wlad's jab will set the tone for the rest of the fight. Haye doesn't have the best chin in the world to begin with. Haye comes out fast, Wlad keeps him at bay and toys with him during the middle rounds and knocks him out late

I expect Haye to come early and threaten with one or two shots, but then Wlad's jab will set the tone for the rest of the fight. Haye doesn't have the best chin in the world to begin with. Haye comes out fast, Wlad keeps him at bay and toys with him during the middle rounds and knocks him out late

Man I hope you're wrong. It's getting tougher and tougher looking at either Klitschko fight. They are so boring. Seriously though, in the stare down in the ring, I hope Klitschko says "I must break you".

Ultra-cautious 6'7" dudes are bad for boxing.

He HAD to be ultra-cautious, the way Haye was flopping, and having Klitschko get points deducted.

Notice, after the point deduction, Klitschko finally got smart, and started literally holding Haye UP, when he went in for the dive into Klitschko's crotch, so Haye COULDN"T hit the ground.

Edited by Mickalino