Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbell's playcalling was handcuffed (reported on Fox5)

Robbnva

Oh my, I didn't realize that Jason could be a good quarterback for Auburn. With that knowledge maybe we can get him scheduled to play next season against a bunch of college kids again, so he can be an accurate QB,

just in case you haven't realized yet....Jason Campbell is not playing against College kids anymore. He is now in the NFL where the level of play has been raised. Maybe he just cant read NFL defenses or adapt to the speed of the game. When are guys like you going to stop making excuses for him and just accept that he has not performed on the field, he is inaccuate, he hesitates, and he cannot read NFL defenses. He's got strong arm but what good is it if he overthrows a wide open Santana Moss.

Good grief. The last thing I do is make excuses for Jason. If anyone would know his strong points and weak points it would be someone who has watched him play for 7 years. And if you have read any of the other post that I have made you would know that I am very disappointed with his turnovers this year. And I didn't say the problem now was a timing issue. I said I hoped it was a timing issue that could be worked on. You go ahead and throw him under the bus if you want. I still believe he has the potential to be a successfull NFL quarterback based on his play I saw in college. Only time will tell.

I have been saying this for months...One of many reasons I want Saunders out of here next year

Thank you for showing yourself for what you are. You want a legitimate top offensive mind gone because of your man-love for Campbell and what's worse you refuse to acknowledge that Jason's own teammates are subtly or explicitly stating that Todd is the better QB right now, if only because he understands what he's doing out there.

"Jason is my guy and my friend but Todd is our quarterback"--Unnamed Skins veteran

They want to WIN GAMES, this team is still not quite young enough to wait on Campbell like the Chargers waited on Fouts.

Did they order him to throw all those picks and overthrow receivers... ooooh, zing.

Seriously though. Give it a rest, he'll be good some day, its no surprise that they give a guy who's been in the system for over 5 years more plays than a guy who's been in it one year.

maybe everyone should chill the hell out and realize they have a stud future quarterback ... and a quarterback playing some amazing football right now who just led this team to the playoffs.

This team never has a franchise qb, and the fact of the matter is, right now, we have two guys who are exactly what this team needs to succeed.

Campbell's time will come and he will be the quarterback this franchise has needed a very long time.

Right now, Collins is who we need, to take us as far as we may possibly go THIS SEASON.

its really quite ****ing simple, why people struggle to grasp that ill never know.

Well another side of the coin is this, we see what this offense is capible of with all restraints taken off, I would have liked to see JC with the full set of plays, not just vanilla'd down plays that keep Saunders and Gibbs in thier comfort level. I can only hope that JC learns this system to oneday be as comfortable in it as TC, we all know JC's athletisizm is worlds above TC's. If JC doesn't show some serious improvement next year I might then start to worry.

maybe everyone should chill the hell out and realize they have a stud future quarterback ... and a quarterback playing some amazing football right now who just led this team to the playoffs.

This team never has a franchise qb, and the fact of the matter is, right now, we have two guys who are exactly what this team needs to succeed.

Campbell's time will come and he will be the quarterback this franchise has needed a very long time.

Right now, Collins is who we need, to take us as far as we may possibly go THIS SEASON.

its really quite ****ing simple, why people struggle to grasp that ill never know.

those are words of fact and truth. Nuff said

You know that sounds great and all but how do you know for certain that Campbell is going be to be a Franchise QB. He as shown signs but thats about it. Nothing is for sure in this league. The fact of the matter is you HAVE TO consider that he may not be the guy and plan accordingly.

Bottom line open this job again next year. Thats the most fair thing to do. Dont play a guy simple beacause of potential or draft pick status. Play the guy who makes the most plays and buddy right now its old timer Collins.

It was reported that the reason why everything is going better for our running and passing game is Campbell was handcuffed (they didn't actually use that phrase though). They said they basically didn't want campbell to make a lot of mistakes so they ran first to set up the pass. With Collins they said they were confortable in his knowledge of the system they let him open up the playbook more to set up the run.

They need to let Campbell use the same strategy they let Collins use when he finally returns.

Here we go again. In every game that JC threw 30+ passes we lost. Stop the excues and just say he wasnt getting the job done.

It was reported that the reason why everything is going better for our running and passing game is Campbell was handcuffed (they didn't actually use that phrase though). They said they basically didn't want campbell to make a lot of mistakes so they ran first to set up the pass. With Collins they said they were confortable in his knowledge of the system they let him open up the playbook more to set up the run.

They need to let Campbell use the same strategy they let Collins use when he finally returns.

I can't believe someone hasn't said this already.... Thank the good Lord above they limited the plays for him because otherwise his turnover numbers may in fact be doubled.

I think it's down right hilarious to hear someone babble it's the coaches fault Campbell didn't do well. Here's the thing... Campbell had chances to win football games. The one in Dallas still kills me when he could have run for the first down for sure and maybe even scored...instead what did he do? He did nearly the same exact thing against Tampa Bay late in the game. It scares me to think of what he would have done if asked to deal with even more plays. Campbell isn't ready. Collins obviously is. I'm not saying he won't be at some point but his apprenticeship needs to be longer. You people who think Collins is gone next year might be a little surprised. They discussed on the post game show after the game last night. Win or loose the rest of the season doesn't matter. Collins' has opened some eyes.

Another thing that I don't see in Campbell is emotion. Football is an emotional sport. The more "up" you are for a game the more focused and excited you are. I see zip...zero...nada excitement and emotion for the game out of Campbell. He walks on the field and off the field with the same emotion regardless if he just threw a game winning TD or a game loosing INT. That's not football to me folks and it can't be taught. If he doesn't have it...he never will. Other players feed off of the emotion of their leaders...and it's sure as Hell not the kind of emotion I want the rest of that offense feeding off of.

But isn't it for a reason though? JC does not have intimate knowledge of the system and TC does. Is handcuffing the appropriate term to use?

Exactly.

Matter of fact, I think Saunders himself said this very thing after the Bears game. Campbell just doesn't get it yet. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. I don't know.

I can't believe someone hasn't said this already.... Thank the good Lord above they limited the plays for him because otherwise his turnover numbers may in fact be doubled.

I think it's down right hilarious to hear someone babble it's the coaches fault Campbell didn't do well. Here's the thing... Campbell had chances to win football games. The one in Dallas still kills me when he could have run for the first down for sure and maybe even scored...instead what did he do? He did nearly the same exact thing against Tampa Bay late in the game. It scares me to think of what he would have done if asked to deal with even more plays. Campbell isn't ready. Collins obviously is. I'm not saying he won't be at some point but his apprenticeship needs to be longer. You people who think Collins is gone next year might be a little surprised. They discussed on the post game show after the game last night. Win or loose the rest of the season doesn't matter. Collins' has opened some eyes.

Another thing that I don't see in Campbell is emotion. Football is an emotional sport. The more "up" you are for a game the more focused and excited you are. I see zip...zero...nada excitement and emotion for the game out of Campbell. He walks on the field and off the field with the same emotion regardless if he just threw a game winning TD or a game loosing INT. That's not football to me folks and it can't be taught. If he doesn't have it...he never will. Other players feed off of the emotion of their leaders...and it's sure as Hell not the kind of emotion I want the rest of that offense feeding off of.

gimme a break....you have no idea what is going through his mind and his temperment in the huddle...so why say stupid...excuse me....uninformed things...like this?

prediction: if the Skins pass on JC for next season they will be set back for another 2-3 years. what we are seeing right now is quite unusual. in every interview I saw with players yesterday not one ended "TC has been the difference". To a man they all said they are playing for ST, have taken it upon themselves to play as he would have - with total committment and accountability. TC is playing well...riding a wave. credit where credit is due. but he is making mistakes as well with luck and momentum bailing him out.

we should enjoy what is happening in front of us...but not mistake it for the future.

gimme a break....you have no idea what is going through his mind and his temperment in the huddle...so why say stupid...excuse me....uninformed things...like this?

prediction: if the Skins pass on JC for next season they will be set back for another 2-3 years. what we are seeing right now is quite unusual. in every interview I saw with players yesterday not one ended "TC has been the difference". To a man they all said they are playing for ST, have taken it upon themselves to play as he would have - with total committment and accountability. TC is playing well...riding a wave. credit where credit is due. but he is maknig mistakes as well with luck and momnetum bailing him out.

we should enjoy what is happening in front of us...but not mistake for the future.

If JC was still under center we would be 6-10. Instead of pushing into the playoffs we would be pushing the buttons on the remote to the TV. Just accept the fact that TC is playing better ball. I care about the success of the skins over players. JC has to many flaws that he has yet to overcome. Therefore theres nothing in stone saying that he is a franchise qb. He has yet to prove anything.

What the hell? Give credit where credit is due. While our defense has been playing well, our offense has been clicking as well. Credit goes to Todd Collins for running the offense so well. Of course you need to handcuff Jason Campbell because he's too young to understand all of Al Saunders' playbook. Give him one more year. I bet he'll be great next season.

This seems like a wishful thinking on your part.

Not everyone feels the way you do.

It really doesn't matter what anyone on this board or any fan thinks...all that matters is what Snyder and gibbs think, and they have to much invested in Jason to sit a first round QB next year...like it or not he is our starting QB when healthy

Jason has more upside and is 10 + years younger than TC, TC has his 15 minutes and he will be gone next season

I think this is Todd's team until our run ends this year. I hope JC will continue to work on his footwork and throwing mechanics this off season (as he did last off-season). In addition he needs to sit with TC and review every snap TC ran and go over the PRE-snap reads together. As has been said Todd was in this system for 7+ years Im sure it will click for Campbell sooner rather then later.

I'm going to go with the decision-making of the head coach in the Hall of Fame and his extremely well-qualified staff over yours on this one.

prediction: if the Skins pass on JC for next season they will be set back for another 2-3 years. what we are seeing right now is quite unusual. in every interview I saw with players yesterday not one ended "TC has been the difference". To a man they all said they are playing for ST, have taken it upon themselves to play as he would have - with total committment and accountability. TC is playing well...riding a wave. credit where credit is due. but he is making mistakes as well with luck and momentum bailing him out.

we should enjoy what is happening in front of us...but not mistake it for the future.

What is temperment and committment? I assume you meant temperament and commitment. I'll ask you fansince62...you tell me what you see when you look at Campbell's field presence. Do you see any emotion whatsoever? Are we to assume that when he kneels down in the huddle he's turned from Jason Jekyll to Jason Hyde? With your thinking, I guess so.

I'm glad the team isn't saying any one player is making a difference. That's a very good thing. That means they're playing as a team....I don't care why.

I like how you say about Collins "credit where credit is due. but he is making mistakes as well with luck and momentum bailing him out". Lets talk about that for a second with the numbers.

Campbell: QB Rating 77.6; 12 TD's; 11 interceptions; 13 fumbles (8 lost); *21 sacks over 13 games.

Collins: QB Rating 106.4; 5 TD's; 0 interception; 4 fumbles (2 lost); 7 sacks over 4 games.

Ummm.... I don't know what you're using for a basis for the justification that Collins is making mistakes. At least he isn't making ones like Campbell made in the Tampa Bay and Dallas games....both of which cost us a chance at a win. At least we don't have to rely on him turning the ball over at least 1.3 times a game and getting sacked almost 2 times a game. (*The number of times sacked is an indication of exactly why Campbell looks confused....it's because he is.)

Campbell needs another year at least with Saunders offense before he takes the field again in my opinion.

That's the best "break" I can give you.

Archived