Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Thomas A Goner?

method man

I think with the injuries to Rogers and Rocky, that is going to force the team to keep Washington and Springs, players who they probably originally planned to let go.

With the Skins being 20 mil over the cap this offseason, it is likely they will have to let a couple big players go. One of them is probably going to be Griffin, but I'm now starting to think the other one is going to be Thomas.

Thomas has had 2 season-ending injuries in the past 3 seasons. It would be Jansen going, but he just signed a new deal. Kendall is dirt cheap for a starting guard so we will probably keep him for another year. Although Thomas has no replacement on the roster right now, you can think about moving Jansen over to guard and Heyer permanently into Jansen's former RT spot. Or you can keep Heyer on the bench a little longer and draft someone to play OG like Heath Benedict from Newberry but you have to remember the number of needs this team has.

No chance Thomas goes though he may be asked to restructure and convert some salary in guaranteed bonus payments.

We do need to look at the O'line though. Some young depth needs to be developed. I think we keep Kendall but may look to bring in somebody younger and bigger to help the running game who starts with Kendall as the swing backup at LG and RG.

Heyer and Jansen should compete for the starting RT job with Wade providing depth.

thomas is one of our leads he wont be gone

half our players will restructure

remm 2 years ago all the restructures got us like 25 mil cap space, which we used to sign archuleta, lloyd, and randle el.

yea i do. And Im pretty sure that was the year they raised the salary cap

We are about $15M over since the cap will increase to $116M. Also, w/o any restructures MB and Lloyd as designated June 1st cuts will save $7M. Cooley's roster bonus conversion will save another $6M. We will most likely cut Daniels and possibly Jansen, and restructure Springs, Washington, Portis, and Thomas. This would put us closer to $15M under before signing FA.

We must have Randy Thomas back to be successful next year. And no, that's not overstating his importance.

I got into a pretty heated discussion with PleaseBlitz during the preseason about who our most indispensable player was. He said Campbell. I said Randy Thomas. I stand by my position, as we're now 2-0 with Todd Collins taking the overwhelming majority of the snaps.

But I'll maintain that the reason for the majority of our struggles in the running game this season is due to Thomas not being in there. He IS our best O-linemen, and he's a top-five guard in the league. He's probably in the top three in terms of pulling guards, which is critical to any offense involving Joe Jackson Gibbs.

Still don't believe me? What happened to our offense in 2005 when Thomas went down? It stopped. Remember the abysmal offensive performance in Seattle?

The simple fact is, when Randy Thomas is in street clothes, this offense stops. And if I can see that, the front office can too.

remm 2 years ago all the restructures got us like 25 mil cap space, which we used to sign archuleta, lloyd, and randle el.

This is not exactly something to be proud of. This is another reason to state that unused cap space is better than cap space used on inferior players - especially when those players end up as dead money in future seasons.

Just because you CAN spend it doesn't mean you HAVE to.

But anyway, back on topic - I hope Thomas is retained. But nothing would surprise me given the team's current circumstances.

This is not exactly something to be proud of. This is another reason to state that unused cap space is better than cap space used on inferior players - especially when those players end up as dead money in future seasons.

Just because you CAN spend it doesn't mean you HAVE to.

But anyway, back on topic - I hope Thomas is retained. But nothing would surprise me given the team's current circumstances.

I think the slant of his post was to say "hey look we saved all this money and we can do it again" not "hey look we saved this money so we can blow it on some overpriced schmucks".

At the end of the day, to use a well worn cliche, I think the FO (or whoever negotiates the contracts for us) will find a way to get under the cap. We know there will be some spring-cleaning, forgive the pun; but thats normal. I cannot see RT going anywhere though. Line chemistry and the importance of our ground game should see to that. I dont think they will want a repeat of the Dockery situation either.

At the end of the day, to use a well worn cliche, I think the FO (or whoever negotiates the contracts for us) will find a way to get under the cap. We know there will be some spring-cleaning, forgive the pun; but thats normal. I cannot see RT going anywhere though. Line chemistry and the importance of our ground game should see to that. I dont think they will want a repeat of the Dockery situation either.

I know they CAN get under the cap, I just wish all these cuts and restructures weren't an annual necessity.

We must have Randy Thomas back to be successful next year. And no, that's not overstating his importance.

What happened to our offense in 2005 when Thomas went down? It stopped. Remember the abysmal offensive performance in Seattle?

The simple fact is, when Randy Thomas is in street clothes, this offense stops. And if I can see that, the front office can too.

When the Skins lost Jansen to the achilles tendon they did poorly. When they lost Thomas in 2005 they did poorly. The line has done poorly in its running schemes this year with the loss of both Thomas and Jansen. I agree that Thomas is extremely important to this offense. Skins can't afford to have the entire offense fall apart with the loss of one player (whether it's Thomas or the #1 WR). Skins really need to invest a high level pick (rounds 1-3) on the OL.

When the Skins lost Jansen to the achilles tendon they did poorly. When they lost Thomas in 2005 they did poorly. The line has done poorly in its running schemes this year with the loss of both Thomas and Jansen. I agree that Thomas is extremely important to this offense. Skins can't afford to have the entire offense fall apart with the loss of one player (whether it's Thomas or the #1 WR). Skins really need to invest a high level pick (rounds 1-3) on the OL.

Stephon Heyer came in when Jansen went down in the Miami game, and we continued to move the ball very effectively, with high YPC. When Thomas went down, everything changed. (I'm not discounting Jansen's importance. And make no mistake, I love the guy. I just see Thomas as being more valuable to this team, in all honesty.)

Otherwise, I agree with you. I'd like to see our #1 spent on a big WR. And then our #2 spent on a DE or OL. But I think you're absolutely right; we need an O-lineman somewhere in the top three rounds. (Course, if there's a stud CB left in round 3, I might have to alter the plan a little.)

I thought the Skins extended Thomas last offseason. They can't get rid of him if they wanted to. But I'm sure they don't anyway.

Extending Jansen looks to have been a big mistake. He's injury prone and they've got some young guys who can play his spot. Now they're stuck with his contract.

I thought the Skins extended Thomas last offseason. They can't get rid of him if they wanted to. But I'm sure they don't anyway.

Extending Jansen looks to have been a big mistake. He's injury prone and they've got some young guys who can play his spot. Now they're stuck with his contract.

Thomas was extended and carries a $8.9M cap hit of which $5-6M of that is a roster bonus that can be converted. He's not going anywhere.

Jansen would save $5M by being cut and would incur a $6.7M dead cap hit in 2009 assuming that he would be a June 1st casualty.

Thomas was extended and carries a $8.9M cap hit of which $5-6M of that is a roster bonus that can be converted. He's not going anywhere.

Jansen would save $5M by being cut and would incur a $6.7M dead cap hit in 2009 assuming that he would be a June 1st casualty.

Thanks for the info. Looks like they have a tough call to make on Jansen. Not sure they can afford to cut him and Lloyd in the same offseason. They'll probably give Jansen at least another year.

Archived