Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Thomas A Goner?

method man

I think with the injuries to Rogers and Rocky, that is going to force the team to keep Washington and Springs, players who they probably originally planned to let go.

With the Skins being 20 mil over the cap this offseason, it is likely they will have to let a couple big players go. One of them is probably going to be Griffin, but I'm now starting to think the other one is going to be Thomas.

Thomas has had 2 season-ending injuries in the past 3 seasons. It would be Jansen going, but he just signed a new deal. Kendall is dirt cheap for a starting guard so we will probably keep him for another year. Although Thomas has no replacement on the roster right now, you can think about moving Jansen over to guard and Heyer permanently into Jansen's former RT spot. Or you can keep Heyer on the bench a little longer and draft someone to play OG like Heath Benedict from Newberry but you have to remember the number of needs this team has.

You're right about the salary cap problems the team faces, but I think your conclusions are wrong.

First of all, how much more good football does Springs have left? He too has had injury problems. Ditto Washington, who I think is a step slower this year and not nearly as impactful in games as he used to be. Those guys are well past the time when the average player at their respective positions starts to decline.

OTOH Thomas, who certainly is no spring chicken, is still the best OL we have for my money and he plays a position that tends to age a bit better than the others do. He pulls and blocks in space as well as any guard in the league, and he's also a terrific in-line blocker. You talk about sliding Jansen over to OG as if it's nothing, but it took Fabini half a season to look even decent doing that, and Wade couldn't pull it off despite an entire offseason to work on it.

IMHO Springs, Washington and Jansen are all in jeopardy. Jansen too has had two season ending injuries in the last four years, and has had a number of other injuries that have limited his effectiveness. He also is not the dominant blocker he used to be anyway. We know we have his replacement in Heyer. If Jansen remains, IMHO, it should be as a backup and at a pay scale to match.

Extending Jansen looks to have been a big mistake. He's injury prone and they've got some young guys who can play his spot. Now they're stuck with his contract.

To say JJ is injury prone is a tough sell.

Sure, he's missed 2 of the last 4 seasons due to injury, however both were not the usual bumps and bruises associated with "injury prone" players.

Being crushed by Zach Thomas, and having your ankle dislocate is an injury even iron men like Favre could incur. A ruptured achilles is a rare injury, and Jansen fully recovered. Lavar Arrington, arguably an injury prone player, could not recover from this injury.

Now, you can argue that for what he was paid, Jansen as a pass-protector is over valued.. but that's an entirely different debate.

Randy Thomas, much like Jansen, has suffered peculiar injuries. The tib-fib was fully recovered, and his torn bicep should be fully recovered in the coming months. Shoulder, knee, and ankles etc.. tend to be the areas where problems recur. The types of musculoskeletal injuries common to knees and shoulders, in particular, are likely to onset the constant hampering consistent with being injury prone.

Todd Wade's shoulder problems may be more of a concern in the long scope of the OL...:2cents:

To say JJ is injury prone is a tough sell.

Sure, he's missed 2 of the last 4 seasons due to injury, however both were not the usual bumps and bruises associated with "injury prone" players.

Being crushed by Zach Thomas, and having your ankle dislocate is an injury even iron men like Favre could incur. A ruptured achilles is a rare injury, and Jansen fully recovered. Lavar Arrington, arguably an injury prone player, could not recover from this injury.

Now, you can argue that for what he was paid, Jansen as a pass-protector is over valued.. but that's an entirely different debate.

Randy Thomas, much like Jansen, has suffered peculiar injuries. The tib-fib was fully recovered, and his torn bicep should be fully recovered in the coming months. Shoulder, knee, and ankles etc.. tend to be the areas where problems recur. The types of musculoskeletal injuries common to knees and shoulders, in particular, are likely to onset the constant hampering consistent with being injury prone.

Todd Wade's shoulder problems may be more of a concern in the long scope of the OL...:2cents:

Jansen's injury prone because he's always injuried. He's been able to play through a lot of it, but that doesn't take away the fact he's injuried. And now that he's in his 30s that type of stuff catches up to you. Your body doesn't heel as quick and it effects your game. Jansen's play has been inconsistant.

Why would Washington get cut, he's still showing he's an important part of this defense.

Have you been watching the same skins I have been. Washington has not been much of a factor at all this year. Yeah he had a couple of sacks, but he's been injured and is showing his age he is not worth what we are paying him.

I think with the injuries to Rogers and Rocky, that is going to force the team to keep Washington and Springs, players who they probably originally planned to let go.

With the Skins being 20 mil over the cap this offseason, it is likely they will have to let a couple big players go. One of them is probably going to be Griffin, but I'm now starting to think the other one is going to be Thomas.

Thomas has had 2 season-ending injuries in the past 3 seasons. It would be Jansen going, but he just signed a new deal. Kendall is dirt cheap for a starting guard so we will probably keep him for another year. Although Thomas has no replacement on the roster right now, you can think about moving Jansen over to guard and Heyer permanently into Jansen's former RT spot. Or you can keep Heyer on the bench a little longer and draft someone to play OG like Heath Benedict from Newberry but you have to remember the number of needs this team has.

thomas just signed a new deal too, in case you forgot

Or you can keep Heyer on the bench a little longer and draft someone to play OG like Heath Benedict from Newberry but you have to remember the number of needs this team has.
wow...just wow. newberry is like 45 minutes from here and ive seen some stuff on benedict on how good of a prospect he is..

but still. to think that he could come in and start and take the place of thomas is crazy. i dont even want to know what the translation from newberry to the nfl will be like.

Why would Washington get cut, he's still showing he's an important part of this defense.

If Briggs can be brought in with a salary cap number in the first 3 years that is less than what Washington is making, I bet they would sign Briggs and say goodbye to Washington.

Springs is just way too expensive, and he likely won't accept a pay cut. Would you rather have Springs or Asante Samuels? They prob. cost the same, cap wise.

I think I would rather keep Thomas and trade Jansen

I agree, and Jansen is one of my favorite current Skins. Not sure how much we could get for Jansen, as it appeared to me injuries had already taken their toll on him prior to his injury in the Dolphins game. Plus Heyer has proven to be an adequate replacement to this point and I can only see him improving with experience, not to mention how cheap he is for a starting RT. I just think Thomas has more left in the tank than Jansen.

Cutting RT will not help the cap situation, in fact, it would result is ~$3 million hit against the cap.

http://www.redskinswarpath.com/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm?vbseourl=redirect/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm

His total cap hit for 2008 is $8.83M. If you cut him after June 1st he would cost $3.853 in 2008; thus, we would save $4.98M in 2008. We would have an additional dead cap hit of $6.75M in 2009.

If Briggs can be brought in with a salary cap number in the first 3 years that is less than what Washington is making, I bet they would sign Briggs and say goodbye to Washington.

Not to go too far off topic, but unless ARI extends Dansby he will be available for less than Briggs. While Briggs is a better all around player, Dansby is a solid, versatile, young LB that should come without the top tier price tag.

Skins need to think about the future of this O line I'd hate to the same thing happen here that happened in KC. They got old, were still good, but once they retired there was nothing in waiting. Heyer is a good start, he looks like the real deal. With 6 picks next year, I hope the focus is on the line on both sides of the ball. 2 Free agent signings - wr and possibly lb, s or db and with Campbell improving next year should be exciting.

Springs is just way too expensive, and he likely won't accept a pay cut. Would you rather have Springs or Asante Samuels? They prob. cost the same, cap wise.

Since the reason we're going to have to release Springs if he doesn't restructure is that we can't afford his cap hit, it doesn't matter if we could have Asante Samuel for around the same price. If we can't afford one we can't afford the other.

I don't think we could have Samuel for the same price as Springs, though. AS will be looking for Clements like money, imo.

As for Jansen, we're stuck with him for now. If he's healthy enough to play next year maybe we can move him to RG as a backup to Thomas, or spot starter at RG or RT.

Skins need to think about the future of this O line I'd hate to the same thing happen here that happened in KC. They got old, were still good, but once they retired there was nothing in waiting. Heyer is a good start, he looks like the real deal. With 6 picks next year, I hope the focus is on the line on both sides of the ball. 2 Free agent signings - wr and possibly lb, s or db and with Campbell improving next year should be exciting.

Me, too! Let's get young and mean in the trenches, on BOTH sides of the ball. Focus on the lines in rounds 1-3 of the draft and we're back in business!

Not to go too far off topic, but unless ARI extends Dansby he will be available for less than Briggs. While Briggs is a better all around player, Dansby is a solid, versatile, young LB that should come without the top tier price tag.

I like Dansby, but the only thing that kept us from signing Briggs last year was that it involved a steep trade. As an out and out free agent, the Redskins are much more likely to get him. I would say Briggs is more likely because the Redskins have already shown an interest there. I could be wrong, but I just think it's a more likely scenario.

If anything I see Jansen retiring. Right after he destroyed his ankle, it sounded like he was considering it on the Riggins show. That may have just been the post injury blues. But he has been bitten by the injury bug pretty bad the last 3 years between the achillies, the torn calf, and two broken thumbs.

Since the reason we're going to have to release Springs if he doesn't restructure is that we can't afford his cap hit, it doesn't matter if we could have Asante Samuel for around the same price. If we can't afford one we can't afford the other.

I don't think we could have Samuel for the same price as Springs, though. AS will be looking for Clements like money, imo.

As for Jansen, we're stuck with him for now. If he's healthy enough to play next year maybe we can move him to RG as a backup to Thomas, or spot starter at RG or RT.

We will be able to keep springs with cuts in other areas and restructures. So the question is whether you want him or some other FA CB at the same (or lower) cap hit.

We need to restructure Springs for 2008 and sign another decent #2 CB for depth. I thought that Macklin was that guy. We need to go into 2008 with four CB's. Springs, Rogers, Smoot, and maybe the Raider FA.

Springs wanted his money this year and he will work with the front office as he knows they want him back.

I think the biggest needs are:

1.) Pass rushing DE to compliment Carter (possibly draft or better a FA proven player)

2.) Stud tall WR (Fitzgerald)

3.) Draft OL for depth (2nd, 3rd round)

4.) CB (FA)

5.) Strong Safety (FA)

Archived