Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IF we sign big FA: ?Briggs, Allen, Johnson, CB

Monk in the Hall!

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Would rather have Bob Sanders than all of above. Johnson is 30 years old plus. I would rather have a dominant safety than a LB to pair with LL particularly given the fact that Carlos could miss significant time next year. It would be in the organizations best interest to draft a young DE than sign Allen. What is going on with Julius Peppers, if healthy he might be worth a look and come at a reasonable price?

I would vote Jared Allen ... Ocho Cinco would be a nice pickup, but we've used up all our luxury picks.

We have to get nastier and deeper on the lines. I think we might have something with Mix. Ocho was nothing before Chad Johnson got his opportunity to work with a QB that has big time arm and an explosive offense around him as well.

we've lost too much putting all of our eggs in the wr basket. If McCardell at 38 can come in here and make more a contribution that a 10 mill $ WR in BL, we can develop mix.

Just make DL or OL depth a priority this offseason.

Would rather have Bob Sanders than all of above. Johnson is 30 years old plus. I would rather have a dominant safety than a LB to pair with LL particularly given the fact that Carlos could miss significant time next year. It would be in the organizations best interest to draft a young DE than sign Allen. What is going on with Julius Peppers, if healthy he might be worth a look and come at a reasonable price?

I doubt we have a swhot at Bob Sanders, would be nice/

It really depends on the draft as well. But, we will address the DL and OL in draft and free agency. We do need a WR.

We will need a OLB because ROcky is gone next season.

I wouldn't pay for Allen - I just don't think its a good idea to pay top dollar for a free agent whose best numbers are in a contract year. His career numbers are good, but he's going to want to be paid Dwight Freeney money. Is he that good? Unless he is, it's not worth it.

I wouldn't take Briggs either. I think we should learn from the past on how we approach free agency and stop signing players who are looking to get paid. Look at Fletcher. His numbers were great in Buffalo, and his numbers are great here. His impact on the defense has been tremendous. The level he is playing at makes it ok to go with Blades (who really looks good) or a cheaper vet at OLB until Rocky is healthy again. Plus, with the way teams are running spread offenses these days, it seems like a waste of money to have so much tied up in 3 LBs. I would rather have more corners.

Despite the attitude problems, I wouldn't mind trading for Chad Johnson or D. Hall. Both are really talented players who have been putting up solid numbers for a few years now. They are both playing on teams with a lot of other issues bringing their organizations down, so I don't think you can totally judge their attitude based on this season. Who wouldn't be frustrated playing in Atlanta or Cincinnati this year? Either these two would really make a difference on the team - but we probably can't afford either.

If I had to pick one, I'd honestly pick Allen because he'd be replacing the part of our team that's the oldest, but seriously, think about it.

We don't NEED anyone!! Are we perfect? No. Can we improve with a FA? Yes! But are we not already in cap hell? Like 20 million over the cap hell? And despite all the crap to complain about this year (and there has been alot), are we really THAT bad of a team?

- Despite losing 40% of our starting line after 2 weeks, we're still able to produce a Top Ten rushing team and a Pro Bowl alternate running back AND fullback. Give props to Bugel and have faith in our front.

- Depsite losing our best corner, our second best linebacker, and the best safety who happened to be the best player on our entire team, our defense is still a dominant force that can carry this team. Give props to Williams and have faith in that D.

- Yeah, Gibbs is conservative. Yeah, he had a senior moment against Buffalo. Yeah, we sit on leads. Yeah, we don't blow out teams. BUT. Teams don't blow us out either, and as a result, we've been a play away from winning every game but 1. Besides the Pats, our average margin of defeat is 5 points, and that includes the undisputed 2 best teams in the conference. Give props to Gibbs for putting us in a position to have a chance to win games and have faith that the eventually we learn how to execute in the clutch.

- Despite us losing 4 in a row along with our starting quarterback, we're in a great position to make a playoff run.

Eff the free agents, man. We got the players, we got the coaches. Injuries killed us this year, but honestly, it's been proven older players get injuried more than younger players and we're certainly one of the older teams in the NFL. So why make it worse?

Rather than make our cap situation worse and our team older with players we don't really need, let's just stay the course, define this season as a testament of this team's character, unity and ability to handle adversity, make our playoff run with pride, and enter next season fresh, healthy and younger, but ultimately the same.

Don't want Chad Johnson. He is a good receiver, but I would rather have T.J. off that team if you ask me. Johnson is a good player, but I believe that he is on the downside of his career and we need someone like a reggie wayne or a randy moss who could make our receiver corps the best in the league. If Randy wanted to sign here, I think that the redskins should get him.

Bob Sanders would be swell. Reed Doughty is doing his best, but he's not the answer.

Can't say I'd hate having Chad, either.

This is a little unfair at this stage, RD is playing well, he is doing what he is directed to do and I believe that he is a capable safety, give the man a chance.:2cents:

Any top free agent will either be too expensive (think Nate Clements) or will be franchised (Nate Clements money and a first round pick). Just like last year, ExtremeSkins will clamor for months over the same free agents (claiming that X is going to put us over the age, take us from good to great, etc.), only these free agents will either never hit the market or be outpriced for us.

Dan Snyder has been a trend setter in this league: first, from overpaying free agents far before anyone else did (the exuberant $30 million dollar contracts from 2006 became standard or even undervalued around the league in 2007). He also set the trend of paying huge amounts of money to head coaches (Joe Gibbs' $5 million at the time was Snyder "overpaying" - now, any good coach will command that). He started the trend of hiring coaches to certain elevated positions, like having Al Saunders (truly the offensive coordinator) being the "assistant head coach: offense" - this was done to circumvent the NFL rule that stipulates that you cannot hire another team's coach and employ him at the same position, it must be a promotion. In a few years, assistant coaches will start to get paid huge salaries as well.

The point being this: our huge free agent spending days are over. We won't be getting the market's top players anymore. Seemingly every other team in the league is willing to spend unbelievable, previously unorthodox salaries to just "good" players - think $49 million each to Leonard Davis and Derrick Dockery.

I can see an offseason like last season's. Rework some contracts, sign a few undervalued free agents, cut a few players, and keep all the draft picks to build young depth.

Just think, in the last two drafts, we've added on defense: Laron Landry, Rocky McIntosh, Kedric Golston, Anthony Montgomery, and HB Blades. Now imagine if we had our full array of picks. We've been hitting on our draft picks the last two drafts, and we should be able to add 4 or maybe 5 valuable contributers to this team just in the draft alone.

We don't need big-name free agents. Jason Campbell will blossom. Our offensive line will be healthy (and Heyer will be much improved). Brandon Lloyd will be gone. We'll be getting Rogers (and hopefully McIntosh) back. And a number of players like Montgomery, Golston, Doughty, Blades, etc. will be more seasoned and able to step up another level. Considering how realistically, we could have/should have won every single game this season except the Patriots game, we don't need drastic or expensive changes.

Jared Allen hands down. If we sign him, we'll have pressure coming from the DLine consistently for once, and that in itself will improve the performance of the secondary. We don't need Bob Sanders, Doughty is a young guy who is doing an awesome job at strong safety. I'd love Ocho, but let's work on getting this offense running before we look at an elite receiver.

And please ... PLEASE for the love of god will this Lance Briggs talk end? We're fine with Marcus at strong side, London in the middle, and HB/Randall/Khary can fill in for Rocky while he's out.

With our recent safety play from two young guys, you must be speaking off emotion from the death of #21. Bob Sander is another Santana/Portis of the Defense (A playmaker who gets injured often). Although he is tempting at Strong Safety, and better than Reed Doughty, he is a pro bowler his contract year.. that means a huge cap hit.

Secondly, Chad Johnson is 29 yrs old (only 3 yrs older than Sanders) and at the pinnacle of his career as well. We can get rid of some overpaid garbage by trading for him as opposed to sign him big. He has had six consecutive 1,000 yd seasons!

Peppers has done nothing this yr... 39 tackles/3 sacks.

I agree about drafting a young DE instead, but Sanders is not going to make us that much better on defense.

Archived