Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How good would Kenny Phillips look in a skins jersey?

KWILLVILLE

sounds nice, but he won't even be there when we pick most likely. I just can't see us taking another first round draft pick as a safety, from the "U" ... to replace another HOF caliber safety from the "U."

As great of a story as that would be, we need to move on to more important things and draft lineman on both sides of the ball.

not another one.

In the aftermath of the Taylor death, everyone is falling in love with a (pretty good) safety from The U, drawing parallels and connections to Sean just because both are from The U.

Lets focus on DE and WR like we should have been the last few drafts, as well as o-line depth. You are only as good as your trenches, Detroit and Arizona can vouch for that.

please no more using 1st round picks on defensive backs.

Absolutely correct. If defense is chosen in the first round, let it be a DE or DT.

I think we will be OK at Safety, Landry and Reed are beginning to play much better since they swapped Safety positions.

Pretty damn good IMO.

We need a pass-rush and OL depth desperately too though, however, a lot of very good pass-rushers have been found in the later rounds as of recently Jared Allen, Aaron Kampman, Trent Cole, etc.

Personally, if Phillips is there when we're on the clock, I'd take him and go for a pass-rusher later in the draft, plus this all depends on what happens in FA too.

not another one.

In the aftermath of the Taylor death, everyone is falling in love with a (pretty good) safety from The U, drawing parallels and connections to Sean just because both are from The U.

Lets focus on DE and WR like we should have been the last few drafts, as well as o-line depth. You are only as good as your trenches, Detroit and Arizona can vouch for that.

Doesn't Arizona have a good OL? I do know that they drafted Alan Branch whom a lot of people on this board wanted and he's only started a few games, apparently he was a big bust.

Yeah he would look nice in a Redskins jersey. So would Peyton Manning, Randy Moss, Dwight Freeney, etc. doesn't mean it's possible or should happen. We need a defensive end this off season. Our D-Line isn't that bad, Carter, Griffin, Golston, and Montgomery can provide decent pressure...Daniels is good for using his 900 inch reach to bat down a ball or two per game but thats about it. He can't get pressure, Wilson isn't getting pressure very well...we need a guy at right defensive end who can make the quarterback uncomfortable. We have a stud safety in Landry and a decent safety in Doughty so far. We either need a better corner, better DE, or both on that side of the ball.

hey look, I'm a subscriber to the Best Player Available drafting policy, regardless of position (unless we're talking about a position we JUST drafted highly for). If it's a safety, so be it. The best teams build around the talent they have, and make the most out of the picks they are given, instead of reaching to fill a position of need.

He is NOTHING like Sean Taylor, and to even hint at it, is disrespectful to Sean's memory. If noone on staff can handle the Free Safety duties, then maybe we get a Free Agent in here, but no I do not see us drafting a Safety, if we do draft a dback it should be a Corner not a Safety. (See springs maybe leaving, and carlos' injury). But above all we need Dline help. if we improve our push from the Dline our Dbackfield isn't going to have to hold on receivers quite as long.

Can you imagine the pressure that would be on that kid's shoulders? He'd immediately be compared to Sean if he came here. I'm not sure I'd want that for him.

Yea, I wouldn't either. But just imagine if he excelled....I don't know how to describe what that would be like. It would be surreal.

Springs is old and expensive, Carlos is unreliable and Smoot is.. well smoot is smoot. We can get awful thin at that position aweful quick-- and based on last year we know how important a position that is. So somewhere in the first two rounds we need a CB. Safety is a free agency move.

please no more using 1st round picks on defensive backs.

Agreed. If you're only going to look at one university for draft picks that goes a lot in saying that your scouting department sucks. Let's look around before just looking at one player from a university that you have a history of getting players from and paying a lot of money for those players. Just say no....just say no.

it would be a waste to pick up a DB in the 1st round...team has much more glaring needs at DE, someone who can actually put pressure on the QB, OL, WR

building a team with a good front four can make the DBs look so much better, just look at the CBs from Tampa Bay while their run or the Pats, they just plug people in the secondary

Alan Branch whom a lot of people on this board wanted and he's only started a few games, apparently he was a big bust.

Big men take time to develop,which is one of the reasons the Skins don't draft 'em on day one: the franchise and the fanbase have no patience when it comes to player development,IMO.

Look at a team like the Vikings. Kevin Williams makes that team go. We have far better talent, overall, but the pressure and run stopping that their defensive line creates, everyone else looks better.

Same with Jacksonville.

I'm not saying that drafting someone to play on the D-Line will make us the uber-Skins, but at some point you have to TRY, no? How many times do we need to see a 4 man rush get NO pressure?

I'll admit that I've been drawn by the "skill" positions, but I'm finally with BLC, we have to go defensive line, even if it's a slight reach.

We reached for Campbell and that's worked out pretty well. (not being sarcastic)

Sean Taylor can never be replaced, but I think bringing in another safety from the U, possibly the top safety in the draft, would be nice. Especially so, when they describe him as "the body of Sean Taylor and the knowledge and speed of Ed Reed".

link to his prospect page:

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_draft/kenny-phillips.htm

We need D-lineman. Period.

Doesn't Arizona have a good OL? I do know that they drafted Alan Branch whom a lot of people on this board wanted and he's only started a few games, apparently he was a big bust.

they do have a good o-line this year. I guess I meant in years past. Russ Grimm definitely coached those guys up.

Their d-line isn't that good right now though. I'm not sure about Branch, but I just figured he was in the rotation, though not starting.

However, look at teams like the Vikings and Steelers (granted it's different since they run a 3-4). Good trenches have always helped them. Same with the Giants, at least they can rely on their o-line and d-line to come up.

A good team will get to the point where their o-line and d-lines are pretty good, that they can start building around them. The Patriots have shed a lot of former lineman, had "down" years in 2005 and 2006, and are now coming back strong, building around those lines by getting guys like Moss and Adalius Thomas.

No matter what anyone tells you, this game is won or lost at the line of scrimmage.

Until we start investing some picks into both lines and have the patience to develop them, we will remain a mediocre team.

Good teams don't go a whole decade without spending a day one pick on the Dline. The Skins do.

How's that worked out?

Archived