Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How good would Kenny Phillips look in a skins jersey?

KWILLVILLE

Saying we would only be looking at one school by drafting phillips is just stupid, he is the number one safety on the board right now. I do agree that we need some help at DE but more then ever I think we need to rebuild are o-line. Sure we would have been a lot better w/o the injuries, but watching portis struggle and jason get slammed I wouldn't mind some new faces to learn from jansen and thomas. Keeping landry at fs and pickin up a mid-round ss is a great idea though, as reed is alright for a fill in, but not someone I would want to rely on for much longer. Phillips isn't necessarily who I would want, but I was just bringing up the fact it'd be pretty interesting.

I Know Enuf About Football To Know That If He Has 97 Tackles And Is Playin Fs That Lsu Should Not Be Playin For No Title, Lol, And If He Is Playin Ss That Still Is Way Too Many Tackles, And Nobody Else Should Be Even Considered From Lsu

i didnt understand a word u just said.:2cents:

First Off Jansen Should Not Be The Starter Any Longer, They Need To Go Wh\ith The Young Kid Heyer And Start Grooming Him, Jansen Has Been Hurt The Last 3 Years Unfortunatley And He's Gonna Wanna Stay Around And Battle For His Spot, When Healthy, Thomas Is A Or Should Be A Pro Bowl Guard, Rabach Does Struggle But He Sufficient, Get Some Depth Def At Both The Left Guard And For Samuels Who Seems To Have Up And Down Games, But He Is Our Best Lineman, Which At Times Is Not Saying Much

Originally Posted by xX2PORTIS6Xx

Why not leave LL at FS and draft a Strong Safety in the middle to late rounds. Maybe Jamar Adams out of Michigan(6'2 220 4.5 forty), How about LL's old buddy Craig Steltz from LSU(6'1 210 4.5 forty).Stelz is a ball hawk 6ints and 97 tackles this year plus he was a 1st team All-American.Nice 2nd or 3rd round picks if still around

Originally Posted by FORBIDDEN

I Know Enuf About Football To Know That If He Has 97 Tackles And Is Playin Fs That Lsu Should Not Be Playin For No Title, Lol, And If He Is Playin Ss That Still Is Way Too Many Tackles, And Nobody Else Should Be Even Considered From Lsu

UNDERSTAND IT NOW

Originally Posted by xX2PORTIS6Xx

Why not leave LL at FS and draft a Strong Safety in the middle to late rounds. Maybe Jamar Adams out of Michigan(6'2 220 4.5 forty), How about LL's old buddy Craig Steltz from LSU(6'1 210 4.5 forty).Stelz is a ball hawk 6ints and 97 tackles this year plus he was a 1st team All-American.Nice 2nd or 3rd round picks if still around

Originally Posted by FORBIDDEN

UNDERSTAND IT NOW

Translation:

"I know enough about football to know that if he has 97 tackles and is playing at the Free Safety position, then LSU should not be playing for the national title, laugh out loud. and if he is playing strong safety, that is still way too many tackles. No one else from LSU should even be considered"

As for the Safety position, Reed learned alot from ST. I really wanna see how he is before we have to draft ANOTHER safety. We were in a sticky situation last year because the potential SS, Pierson Prioleau, was coming back from a bad ACL tear.

As for 3 DB's in 4 years - I think we can get a mulligan looking at the situation. No one will criticize us for taking another safety.

ok Bob Sanders is second on his team with 83 total tackles and last time I checked he played Safety.Laron Landry is third on his team with 82 tackles and he plays Safety.Steltz had 97 tackles, 97 in only what 13 games not too shabby if you ask me.

Ok My Point Is That If Your Playin Ss And Your In The Box Alot You May Have Alot Sure, But I Think Its Way To Many For A Safety To Be Having, Bottom Line, Now True Enuf Sanders On The Other Hand Is Always Around The Ball At The Line And He Plays All Over The Field, So It Could Be A Contradictory Statement In Reality, The Team Could Be Really Bad And The Secondary Is Making Alot Of Tackles, Thats My Point,

Im Sure Steltz Is A Above Avg Safety And Well See Where He Ends Up Going, But By My Experience A Safety "normally" Does Not Have That Many Tackles

Doesn't Arizona have a good OL? I do know that they drafted Alan Branch whom a lot of people on this board wanted and he's only started a few games, apparently he was a big bust.

I don't think that it is fair for people to judge a player only after a season of play in which time, he is just learning to play. Yeah, I thought he might be a good player, that was until I heard about his weight problem. I read about that kid Okoye and I think that he a real solid player. We do a D-lineman and we need an offensive lineman as well. We can the go after corners and wideouts with later picks.

Kenny Phillips, 2008 NFL Draft Prospect

Kenny Phillips, 2008 NFL Draft Prospect Safety

6' 2" 211 lbs.

Speed: 4.48 (est)

University of Miami (Fl)

Junior

When thinking of the University of Miami defenses of the past, big names jump out at you: Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Dan Morgan, Jonathan Vilma…..and the list goes on and on. Well, the Hurricanes might just have another defensive standout on their hands by the name of Kenny Phillips. Phillips is coming off of a great sophomore campaign after having a solid freshman year.

While coming on to start as a true freshman, Phillips made his impact immediately. During his first start, at Clemson, he led the team in tackles with 13 and also made the game winning interception in the 3rd overtime. He ended up finishing 3rd on the team in tackles (88) that year and was named to virtually every All-Freshman team that year.

His sophomore year was no let down, as Phillips built on his All everything Freshman year. Phillips started to fill out his frame and his coach moved him into the box on occasion to support the run game. He ended the season finishing 4th in tackles with 71 and led the team with 4 interceptions, despite missing 3 games with a broken thumb. He is durable, however, as he fought the coaches to keep playing with a cast on, but lost the argument.

He is a very quick learner and leader on football field, but he also showed his intelligence off the field, after being chosen to the 2006 ACC Academic Football Team. Although Miami stumbled from their football dominance as a team last year, the defense still played outstanding and with an experienced secondary and defensive line returning, Phillips can be allowed to be the playmaker he is.

As for the NFL Draft of 2008, he projects as the top safety and could be a lock for a top ten NFL Draft pick if he excels this season. With his size, strength and speed, he garners special attention, but add onto his physical attributes with his mental ones, such as leadership and intelligence, and his worth is limitless. Not surprising, since UM coaches say he has "the body of Sean Taylor and the knowledge and speed of Ed Reed", which makes him a dangerous defensive weapon. So, look for Ed Taylor or Sean Reed (snicker) to live up to the hype and produce for the Hurricanes. He has experience at free safety as a ball hawk, strong safety as an in the box run stopper and even some corner with fine tuned man to man cover skills. He does have limited experience as a blitzer, but look for the ‘Canes to use him in that capacity with a veteran secondary covering his assignments and a defensive line filling gaps.

Kenny Phillips, 2008 NFL Draft Prospect

Kenny Phillips, 2008 NFL Draft Prospect Safety

6' 2" 211 lbs.

Speed: 4.48 (est)

University of Miami (Fl)

Junior

When thinking of the University of Miami defenses of the past, big names jump out at you: Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Dan Morgan, Jonathan Vilma…..and the list goes on and on. Well, the Hurricanes might just have another defensive standout on their hands by the name of Kenny Phillips. Phillips is coming off of a great sophomore campaign after having a solid freshman year.

While coming on to start as a true freshman, Phillips made his impact immediately. During his first start, at Clemson, he led the team in tackles with 13 and also made the game winning interception in the 3rd overtime. He ended up finishing 3rd on the team in tackles (88) that year and was named to virtually every All-Freshman team that year.

His sophomore year was no let down, as Phillips built on his All everything Freshman year. Phillips started to fill out his frame and his coach moved him into the box on occasion to support the run game. He ended the season finishing 4th in tackles with 71 and led the team with 4 interceptions, despite missing 3 games with a broken thumb. He is durable, however, as he fought the coaches to keep playing with a cast on, but lost the argument.

He is a very quick learner and leader on football field, but he also showed his intelligence off the field, after being chosen to the 2006 ACC Academic Football Team. Although Miami stumbled from their football dominance as a team last year, the defense still played outstanding and with an experienced secondary and defensive line returning, Phillips can be allowed to be the playmaker he is.

As for the NFL Draft of 2008, he projects as the top safety and could be a lock for a top ten NFL Draft pick if he excels this season. With his size, strength and speed, he garners special attention, but add onto his physical attributes with his mental ones, such as leadership and intelligence, and his worth is limitless. Not surprising, since UM coaches say he has "the body of Sean Taylor and the knowledge and speed of Ed Reed", which makes him a dangerous defensive weapon. So, look for Ed Taylor or Sean Reed (snicker) to live up to the hype and produce for the Hurricanes. He has experience at free safety as a ball hawk, strong safety as an in the box run stopper and even some corner with fine tuned man to man cover skills. He does have limited experience as a blitzer, but look for the ‘Canes to use him in that capacity with a veteran secondary covering his assignments and a defensive line filling gaps.

He is going to be good that is for sure

Ok My Point Is That If Your Playin Ss And Your In The Box Alot You May Have Alot Sure, But I Think Its Way To Many For A Safety To Be Having, Bottom Line, Now True Enuf Sanders On The Other Hand Is Always Around The Ball At The Line And He Plays All Over The Field, So It Could Be A Contradictory Statement In Reality, The Team Could Be Really Bad And The Secondary Is Making Alot Of Tackles, Thats My Point,

Im Sure Steltz Is A Above Avg Safety And Well See Where He Ends Up Going, But By My Experience A Safety "normally" Does Not Have That Many Tackles

Two things I dont understand:

1) Why its so bad for a Safety to have alot of tackles

2) Why you capitalize the first letter of every word

As much as we all hate it, we're going to have to address the safety issue again this offseason. Does anyone really think putting Landry at FS and keeping Doughty at SS is the answer? I sure don't.

I think Landry is gonna be a great safety, but his strengths are in run support, blitzing, and hitting. I don't think we've seen enough to tell whether he has the cover skills to be a ball-hawking FS.

I thought our defense worked best this season when we had Sean roaming deep in the secondary, taking away the deep ball with Landry covering closer to the line and making the occaisional blitz (which was how we were playing when we had a top defense in the beginning of the season).

The loss of Sean makes the Free Safety role arguably our biggest need - I mean, how can it not be our biggest need when Sean was the best player on the team? We need a solid pass rushing DE opposite Carter and a big possession WR as well, but as the BIGGEST need, I think its at FS. If we can get Phillips, we should. I think we can do better at filling our other needs through the later rounds, trades, or free agency.

Can you imagine the pressure that would be on that kid's shoulders? He'd immediately be compared to Sean if he came here. I'm not sure I'd want that for him.
We should move Springs to FS next year and draft Phillips to play nickel CB to develop his skills. :2cents:

Hurricanes fan here. Don't believe the hype about "The body of Sean Taylor and the knowledge and speed of Ed Reed". KP could turn out to be a good one, but could be average too. He didn't show much this year, like Calais Campbell. It was a slump year for both of them. Even than, I haven't ever seen him make the type of impact Sean or Ed during his Canes career. Not surprise he's coming out his junior. The Hurricanes won't be any better with rookie QB next year and he's stock won't go higher either. Thus, why leave millions on the table.

Hurricanes fan here. Don't believe the hype about "The body of Sean Taylor and the knowledge and speed of Ed Reed". KP could turn out to be a good one, but could be average too. He didn't show much this year, like Calais Campbell. It was a slump year for both of them. Even than, I haven't ever seen him make the type of impact Sean or Ed during his Canes career. Not surprise he's coming out his junior. The Hurricanes won't be any better with rookie QB next year and he's stock won't go higher either. Thus, why leave millions on the table.
"Nov. 26, 2007 - Safety Kenny Phillips was named to the All-ACC first team that was released today by the conference. For the season, Phillips ranked second on the team with a career-high 95 tackles (69 solo). A third-year junior, he added made two interceptions, three forced fumbles and 6.5 tackles for loss.2005 (FRESHMAN): Named to All-Freshman teams by The Sporting News, Rivals.com and CollegeFootballNews.com...Voted to the All-ACC Freshman Team...Started the final 11 games of the year at free safety, replacing an injured Anthony Reddick...Ranked third on the team with 88 tackles (58 solo), with three tackles for loss, one interception, four pass breakups, two QB pressures and one fumble recovery...Had five games with nine or more tackles"
I say we take him if available, he can play both CB and FS hes the complete package in terms of a Defensive Back

Originally Posted by Press Release Coral Gables

"Nov. 26, 2007 - Safety Kenny Phillips was named to the All-ACC first team that was released today by the conference. For the season, Phillips ranked second on the team with a career-high 95 tackles (69 solo). A third-year junior, he added made two interceptions, three forced fumbles and 6.5 tackles for loss.2005 (FRESHMAN): Named to All-Freshman teams by The Sporting News, Rivals.com and CollegeFootballNews.com...Voted to the All-ACC Freshman Team...Started the final 11 games of the year at free safety, replacing an injured Anthony Reddick...Ranked third on the team with 88 tackles (58 solo), with three tackles for loss, one interception, four pass breakups, two QB pressures and one fumble recovery...Had five games with nine or more tackles"

I say we take him if available, he can play both CB and FS hes the complete package in terms of a Defensive Back

KP was hype to be 1st team All American which he's not. 1st team ACC was pretty much given.

As for his high amount of tackles, you need to watch Canes games. Miami

s DE and LB sux big time giving up tons of yardage. This allow KP to make tons of tackles, but 5-10 yards down the field.

Does 2 INT seems like Sean or ED like playmaking ability?

KP was hype to be 1st team All American which he's not. 1st team ACC was pretty much given.

As for his high amount of tackles, you need to watch Canes games. Miami

s DE and LB sux big time giving up tons of yardage. This allow KP to make tons of tackles, but 5-10 yards down the field.

Does 2 INT seems like Sean or ED like playmaking ability?

bro i live in miami i have no choice but to watch the games, i actually go to them. KP is the real deal hes all over the field he plays just like ST and ER put together how can the experts be that off??? thats a good look to be compared to talent like those 2 especially if you played at the same school as them :2cents:

bro i live in miami i have no choice but to watch the games, i actually go to them. KP is the real deal hes all over the field he plays just like ST and ER put together how can the experts be that off??? thats a good look to be compared to talent like those 2 especially if you played at the same school as them :2cents:

If you watch and/or go to the games, what part of what I said was incorrect?

1) Canes DL and LB sux big time?

2) Opponents had tons of yardage against them.

3) Most of KP tackles came 5-10 yards down the field due to #1 & #2.

4) KP is all over the field, but only had 2 INT? Want to compare his play making ability with Sean or ED during their last year at Miami?

I am all for selecting Canes players, but people need to not buy into the hype of Sean body and ED mind. He's not in the same league.

Archived