Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I've held it in as long as I can (rant)

bigtommmy

I absolutely hate it when people complain about injuries, it happens to to everyteam in the NFL. That is why you need depth.

The only team with a comparable amount of injuries to starters this year is the Rams. When comparing the talent and records of the Skins and the Rams, are we really making excuses?

We will have had at least 10 starters miss at least one game, and most have missed a lot more. This isn't normal NFL wear and tear. It's unfortunate, and they still have to play, but it wouldn't be smart for us to ignore what they have been dealing with.

Some people don't even want to acknowledge that Sean's death is worthy of having an affect on the team.

Let me start by saying I've been coming here for 5-6 years. I've never joined or wanted to until a couple weeks ago. The reason I joined was to voice my opinion on how ridiculous this board has gotten. I used to love reading educated discussion on the Skins and find out information on the team. Now I sit and read ignorant posts for dumb asses. I still can't get over some "fans" are bashing and criticizing everything. Lets look at this year. Gibbs lets the players work on their own because that's what THEY wanted. You lose your left guard to FA. Your LT misses the whole preseason. Start the year, RT gone for the year, RG gone for the year, receivers can't practice, linemen can't practice, hardest schedule in the league, worst tragedy imaginable, starting CB done for year, one of the best QB in the league knee injury, etc. There is no other team, coach, players, orginzation in the NFL that could go through this and still be not only competitive but in the playoff hunt. But, instead of celebrating this, we have "fans" that constantly bash Gibbs, and the team. I almost puked watching the game and seeing empty seats in the 4th quarter. Everybody on that team poured everything they had into that game and how do they get rewarded, EMPTY SEATS. I have gone from being so proud to be a Skins fan for how we handled the tragedy of losing Taylor to being disgusted reading this board and seeing people leave early! Here's an idea, if you can't have a normal discussion without saying what a joke a topic is, or how bad Gibbs is, don't post. Better yet pick another team and go ***** about them. This team, and fans deserve better!:logo:

I agree ! I think that if and when people want to criticize, they should do so reasonably and not in the pathetic way that some are going about it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how foolish they are (and some REALLY are) I can't get over "we suck, the season is over, fire Gibbs, Collins is our man, etc." We are making a playoff push and the one thing you mentioned that I doubt anyone else is thinking about, we are tied for the toughest schedule in the entire NFL ! C'mon people take that into consideration.

Posts can be moderated....apparently the powers that be choose not to so "it is what it is".

Over the past week, ES has averaged 6095 posts per day (9499 yesterday alone).

How many moderators do you figure it would take to effectively moderate thwe tone for that kind of traffic if, say, even just 1 in 10 posts included profanity, rudeness, etc? How about on a game day, when that number probably rises to closer to 4-5 in 10?

No message board of any appreciable size can really moderate the tone of the entirety of its membership. And frankly, if they tried, no one would want to be a part of it anyway.

When we were small (say under even 10,000 members) and moderating a few hundred posts a day, a handful of mods could do a pretty good job of setting the tone. At our size today, no chance ... we're largely just running around stamping out fires as they flare up.

Make no mistake, the community sets the tone now.

I long for the day people get past the elementary-school mentality of dividing people on football message boards into "homers" and "haters."

Nice thing to long for, assuming it were the case.

Personally, I don't see many "homers" as people like to call them. You know, someone who is just happy, happy, happy, with anything the team does ever.

No...Homers are increasingly being defined as reasonable fans who understand the coaches and players are all human just as they are, falible, and as humans capable of making mistakes from time to time.

The "other" side on the other hand are insanely demanding of perfection and don't want to hear ANY excuses. They continually find fault, and in a nasty personal way even when their team is winning.

They are fickle, wishy-washy, and switch alliegence to players with the wind. They are extremists in the true sense of the word, and not in a pleasant way.

I have no gripe with lucid calm criticism, but the childish whining at any setback is sickening.

No one here is saying we are a perfect team with no problems, but there are many who are saying we are a pathetic team that can do nothing right.

"These bumbs wont win another game"

"Gibbs is a senile fool"

"This franchise is a joke"

This is the "opposing " debate you long for?

Is it really so surprising when people are just trying to see their team through the end of an incredibly hard season, get defensive when their team is constantly blasted and insulted?

My guess is these are the same people who race along the shoulder at rush hour and wedge themselves in the front of the line of cars that have patiently waited their turn.

Got no use for 'em.

I don't think I've ever read a "homer" post where the writer intentionally used inflammatory and provocative language to get his point across.

My favorite sports team was 5-11 in 2006 and may have a losing record again this year. I have a right to question why. Everyone is fair game from the ownership to the coaches to the players, etc. If that is being negative, then so be it. The Cowpokes have rebuilt their team twice since we last went to a SB. They are probably going again this year and I can't stand it. The Giants are once again ahead of us and going to the playoffs. The only way it could get worse for me is if someone killed my favorite player. Oh yeah, that happened too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwbiggs

Posts can be moderated....apparently the powers that be choose not to so "it is what it is".

Over the past week, ES has averaged 6095 posts per day (9499 yesterday alone).

How many moderators do you figure it would take to effectively moderate thwe tone for that kind of traffic if, say, even just 1 in 10 posts included profanity, rudeness, etc? How about on a game day, when that number probably rises to closer to 4-5 in 10?

No message board of any appreciable size can really moderate the tone of the entirety of its membership. And frankly, if they tried, no one would want to be a part of it anyway.

When we were small (say under even 10,000 members) and moderating a few hundred posts a day, a handful of mods could do a pretty good job of setting the tone. At our size today, no chance ... we're largely just running around stamping out fires as they flare up.

Make no mistake, the community sets the tone now.

Preaching to the choir...wasn't suggesting it be moderated...just stating the obvious...that it can be moderated but is not..for whatever reason.

My favorite sports team was 5-11 in 2006 and may have a losing record again this year. I have a right to question why. Everyone is fair game from the ownership to the coaches to the players, etc. If that is being negative, then so be it. The Cowpokes have rebuilt their team twice since we last went to a SB. They are probably going again this year and I can't stand it. The Giants are once again ahead of us and going to the playoffs. The only way it could get worse for me is if someone killed my favorite player. Oh yeah, that happened too.

This is what I was talking about. I question everything the Redskins do and I'm as upset as anybody, but from my standpoint everytime somebody tries to post something positive there are 50 you suck, they suck, this sucks. We act like a second rate group of fans when we are the BEST. I just needed to vent.

By the way, we've won more playoff games than Dallas has since their last Super Bowl!

Let me start by saying I've been coming here for 5-6 years. I've never joined or wanted to until a couple weeks ago. The reason I joined was to voice my opinion on how ridiculous this board has gotten. I used to love reading educated discussion on the Skins and find out information on the team. Now I sit and read ignorant posts for dumb asses. I still can't get over some "fans" are bashing and criticizing everything. Lets look at this year. Gibbs lets the players work on their own because that's what THEY wanted. You lose your left guard to FA. Your LT misses the whole preseason. Start the year, RT gone for the year, RG gone for the year, receivers can't practice, linemen can't practice, hardest schedule in the league, worst tragedy imaginable, starting CB done for year, one of the best QB in the league knee injury, etc. There is no other team, coach, players, orginzation in the NFL that could go through this and still be not only competitive but in the playoff hunt. But, instead of celebrating this, we have "fans" that constantly bash Gibbs, and the team. I almost puked watching the game and seeing empty seats in the 4th quarter. Everybody on that team poured everything they had into that game and how do they get rewarded, EMPTY SEATS. I have gone from being so proud to be a Skins fan for how we handled the tragedy of losing Taylor to being disgusted reading this board and seeing people leave early! Here's an idea, if you can't have a normal discussion without saying what a joke a topic is, or how bad Gibbs is, don't post. Better yet pick another team and go ***** about them. This team, and fans deserve better!:logo:

You make some valid points, however IMO it is not the fact that we are losing games, but in the fashion we are. Every single one of our games besides the New England game has been winnable. And in a majority of those games we have been taking leads into the fourth quarter(s). That obviously shows that the team is doing something right for three quarters of football. Why this team is close to the end of the season and has not figured out how to close games is a little puzzling. The Bears game is a good sign, but lets be honest, the Bears have been every bit as average as our team this season.

This is what I was talking about. I question everything the Redskins do and I'm as upset as anybody, but from my standpoint everytime somebody tries to post something positive there are 50 you suck, they suck, this sucks. We act like a second rate group of fans when we are the BEST. I just needed to vent.

By the way, we've won more playoff games than Dallas has since their last Super Bowl!

I understand what your getting at...really I do. But this place is a GREAT site for us to vent and right now there is a lot to vent about. Remember we are all Redskins fans otherwise we wouldnt spend so much time on here. We all just have different ways of voiceing our displeasure with the team and what has gone on over the past few years.

The problem with message boards, emails, blogs...etc..is it is less personal than your ordinary sit down conversation. Peoples opinions/views may get taken as attacks when really we are just stateing our feelings....with e-messages (like sites like this) interpretation gets blurred at times. People often may misinterpret someones message and/or get upset or feel insulted when really people are just expressing themselves. I dont think anyone on here deliberately tries to bash one another. WE ALL just have our opinions and the way they come out may be viewed differently than intended.

Personally, If i have angered, upset or offended anyone throughout my stay here I apoligize. Remember there is no correct opinion. I just vent and dont intend to piss anyone off. :)

I understand what your getting at...really I do. But this place is a GREAT site for us to vent and right now there is a lot to vent about. Remember we are all Redskins fans otherwise we wouldnt spend so much time on here. We all just have different ways of voiceing our displeasure with the team and what has gone on over the past few years.

The problem with message boards, emails, blogs...etc..is it is less personal than your ordinary sit down conversation. Peoples opinions/views may get taken as attacks when really we are just stateing our feelings....with e-messages (like sites like this) interpretation gets blurred at times. People often may misinterpret someones message and/or get upset or feel insulted when really people are just expressing themselves. I dont think anyone on here deliberately tries to bash one another. WE ALL just have our opinions and the way they come out may be viewed differently than intended.

Personally, If i have angered, upset or offended anyone throughout my stay here I apoligize. Remember there is no correct opinion. I just vent and dont intend to piss anyone off. :)

You're absolutly right. It just is a bit much sometimes. I never get offended, just frustrated.

The merger caused this.

Before you had a group of die hard fans that created or stumbled across the board that were passionate and well educated. After the merger you get an overabundace of people, due to the advertisement, in which you have a sprinkling of educated die hards mixed in with a heap of ****ers, moaners, complainers and blind homers.

16 years of doing zip has to be addressed and whilst I understand that you feel some of it is just a rant instead of structured criticism there always seems to be reasons for not doing well (ST's demise apart which no one could have fore saw). Frankly, I'm not sure how much more I can take of threads over the season that start of 'You know, we should be 6-0, 10-1, 11-1.....' with relentless 'facts' as to how we are actually a brilliant football team and are just really really unlucky/robbed blind by referees/one play that screwed up but was really a coaching touch of genious away from the Super Bowl. For the last 16 years....

I kind of agree with the OP. I mean, I love this board and have gotten to be a pretty active member.

But lately, especially over the past two years, I have seen a HUGE influx of flamers and gripers. No real thought behind the posts, other than to defamate other members, or *****, whine and gripe about the team.

The worst are the really fickle fans that want to trade Portis one day, and then say he is the greatest the next. The HUGE thread about TC being better than JC just made me laugh out loud.

I think alot of ES'ers here could wear a "what have you done for me lately" sig. And proudly to boot.

The HUGE thread about TC being better than JC just made me laugh out loud.

Cant disagree there, with a game with both starter QB's out, Chicagos run game possibly even worse than ours, it wasnt a pretty game to watch at times. But we won, so you take it. But based on about 40 minutes of play suddenly we have a new QB hero we should go with. I guess it shows those years of frustration. People have run out of patience with rebuilding, 'next season, you'll see' etc. They want it now!

Well. just like everything in life, there's good/bad, big/small, fat/thin, etc. etc. Life would be boring without opposites. I'll admit that the negativity has been bad around here, and I've been one of them, but jiminy christmas it's not like we've had alot of good to talk about the last 16 years and the season just keeps getting worse and worse.

And I'll take a line from your last paragraph. "Here's an idea, if you don't like the negativity, then don't come in here."

you said jiminy christmas...:laugh:

thats my new favorite saying.

Maybe Extremskins should be split into 2 sites. One for negativity - in which everyone can bemoan how horrible this team is and how everything needs to be changed, and one for optimism - where everyone can sit and hold hands around a campfire and discuss how much the Redskins will dominate the next game and all season.

Do smores come with the campfire?:cheers:

I long for the day people get past the elementary-school mentality of dividing people on football message boards into "homers" and "haters."

"There are 2 kinds of people in the world...those who insist on dividing the world into 2 different kinds of people, and those who don't."

Making excuses never got a team to the playoffs.

But the real issue is, you went and pulled out the "If you dont like it, then go somewhere else/root for someone else". This is perhaps the arguement equivalent of the infamous "You dont know me!" popularized by Jerry Springer. If you dont like something, you are supposed to quit? If you dont like something you are supposed to try and change things? Once you get pushed down you are supposed to stop trying to get up? What kind of message is that?

I find it hard to believe that a person who dislikes the direction a team is going, and yet STILL wants to be a fan, and still fights to see changes, and even when his team is losing year after year still roots for the team, hopes for the team, maybe expects the worst, fights and complains, is not a true fan. I think thats about as true as it gets. You may not like people complaining about something(the Chinese government sure doesnt), but to suggest they should just leave makes about as much sense as rooting for the Cowboys. They are Redskins fans, and they are here to stay.

Archived