Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which timeout ended up having the worst outcome?

hail2theskins3

But Gibbs' was still a worse decision, as Ryan couldn't have known the effect of his, while Gibbs should have known what the rules are.

true story. gibbs' call was useless, ryan was trying to do what was best for his team. plus, im pretty sure the bills hit the field goal either way... dude had ice water running through his veins

Hahaha. I said the same thing in a fantasy fball league of mine. Im going to go with Ryan's, but only because Lindell was going to make it from 51 yards anyhow. Ryan's TO cost them the win without a doubt, Gibbs, while horrible, didn't stop Lindell from making the FG.

What he said.

Gibbs timeout led more directly to a victory, also not knowing that rule is pretty pathetic for a head coach.

Ryan's team had them stopped on the next play don't forget that. The false start along with some very untimely penalties had a lot to do with the Ravens loss.

not even close...he still hit the FG from that distance...we lost no matter what. The Ravens time out definitely led to their loss.

Hahaha. I said the same thing in a fantasy fball league of mine. Im going to go with Ryan's, but only because Lindell was going to make it from 51 yards anyhow. Ryan's TO cost them the win without a doubt, Gibbs, while horrible, didn't stop Lindell from making the FG.

The thing is, a 51 yard field goal is no chip shot. Yeah, Lindell's on fire this year, but in his career he is 62% from beyond 50 out (http://www.nfl.com/players/rianlindell/careerstats?id=LIN159090). He already made one, we will never know about the second one, but it was no gimme.

not even close...he still hit the FG from that distance...we lost no matter what. The Ravens time out definitely led to their loss.

The rain was picking up a little bit. The field was getting softer. Their are no givens at 51 yards.

I'm also basing this on the fact that out coach didn't know a simple procedural rule.

Eh....too much energy being wasted on this time out thing....

Both were unfortunate, but neither of them upset me (well, I did want the Pats to lose so I was really disappointed).

I'm not going to blame Ryan for calling a timeout on 4th-and-inches against the most powerful offense in the NFL. If he failed to call timeout and the Pats got the first down, everyone would be blasting the Ravens for not calling a timeout to get ready for that critical play.

I blame the Ravens loss on an offense who moved the ball at will throughtout 3 quarters of the game, then could not muster up a first down in the 4th quarter. Or I blame it on Boller for throwing into coverage where FOUR Pats defenders are covering one WR.

I agree with others that Lindell probably makes the next FG attempt anyway. And even if you want to say it's not an automatic that he hits it, I still would place the blame on an offense that in their final 6 possessions only ran 20 plays and had 2 turnovers...or giving up a 30 yd pass to a second rate WR at a critical moment in the game.

Ryan's was way more costly, but gibbs' was more of a stupid call.

OK this I guess pretty much sums up how I feel about it. I understand the arguments that Gibb's 2nd timeout call didn't cost us the game, and I would agree. But to me that doesn't take anything away from the fact that the call itself was just stupid, plain and simple. My 7-year-old kid brother knows that rule from playing Madden.

Well, since the question is which had the worst outcome, it's obviously the Ravens. Without that timeout call, the Ravens win, period, end of story. They can run the clock practically all the way down.

Without the timeout, the Skins do not necessarily win. It can be argued, but the odds of a second 51 yarder with that kicker, are at least better than half, being conservative...

Therefore, comparing the 2 situations, Ravens screwed up worse as far as the outcome.

Ryans was the worst you only have to look at the reaction of the Ravens defensive players when they see he called it ... Just dumb.

There was another game this year I think the Chargers/Broncos game where 2 time outs directly lead to 10 points for the opposing team... I giving them time to set for a field goal and the second giving them chance to review a sure non given touchdown .

Archived