Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would it be in bad taste to draft S,Kenny Phillips from the U?

Boy2Der

Is it anyway we could get Ed Reed?

As I was watching the game lastnight with my wife and after Reed made some great play I turned to her and said "thats bmore's version of ST"......now Im not saying that Taylor was better then Reed but Sean had the potential to be that type of player. It just hurts seeing Ed playing out there without thinking of Sean.

I think that is the reason why the skins have mainly stayed away from Drafting lineman high because you just don't know how they will pan out. I believe our Defensice line is set at 3 out of the 4 spots and think Daniels is solid at run stoping but we need a big time pass rusher on that side to change things.

At what point do we draft for a position other than the secondary?

We've had 9 first round picks since 1999.

Two have been used on QBs.

Four have been used on the secondary.

Allocation of resources' date=' perhaps?[/quote']

There is no hard and fast way to win in the draft different teams approach it differently . It is a good idea to spread out your resources but you don't pass on a the best player in the draft because you took someone there last year.

If you go into the draft thinking i have a list of needs in priority order then you end up reaching for a guy too early .

I don't think we can afford to use another 1st rounder on a DB. Our Line is aging on both sides of the ball. We need above average players to replace Griffin and Daniels. Evans and Golston have played well, but they are best suited as situational players.

Yeah and we don't need safety we need D Line

We should have kept Ryan Clark from 2 years ago and we wouldn't even have this discussion about Landry and our D Line. But of course Snyder decided to give a max deal to Archuleta.

Speaking of Clark, what are the chances he gets cut this offseason?

If so, why not bring him back and move Laron to FS. Clark played well in Williams' system and has not worked out for the Steelers.

It would depend on a few things. The development of Doughty, possible free agent replacements, and above all else, is there a chance that this young man can be better than the previous options. None of them have anything to do with taste. It's a matter of filling a need.

Draft Phillips, get Jared Allen of KC, or Justin Smith of Cin, or even Terrell Suggs from Bal. in FA. Draft heavily for DL and OL. You can find real good talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. We are 3-4 smart moves away from being contenders.

Just throwing it out there, but maybe it would be a good time to bring back Ryan Clark, if he's available. I honestly have no idea how he's performing in Pittsburgh, but we'd be keeping it in the family...

I think we NEED Ryan Clark to be honest. He isn't a lights out safety and more than likely never will be but, he played decent when he was here and will play some inspired football given the ST tragedy.

Maybe I am just falling on false hope but, it would be a wicked story and something that I really want to happen.

I don't think drafting a safety in the first round is a bad idea. I mean, it's not like that's our only draft pick. I actually think it's a better idea to address the lines after the first round. While it's usually fairly easy to get good talent on the lines in the mid to later rounds, it's fairly difficult to get talent at skill/playmaker positions such as safety or wide receiver.

After Darrent Williams died, Denver made it a priority to get a CB. They traded for Dre Bly.

Just a lot easier to swallow a proven veteran coming in. No more pressure on Dre Bly than before.

It's just the amount of pressure any rookie FS would be dealing with. Besides, you can't play the style of defense we did this year with just any FS, it has to be someone who is at the top of the game.

I think we're looking at a new defensive strategy the rest of the season and beyond. It started anyways as soon as Sean got hurt and it went on again on Sunday. We played a lot of nickel type packages but instead of taking a LB off the field we brought Doughty off. So it was 4 linemen, 3 LB's, 3 CB's and Laron as the single safety. Which should already give us an idea of the kind of regard Williams holds Laron in.

Phillips was a top recruit going into Miami and stepped up to play well as a freshman, he's been through pressure before, though this is a different type of pressure. If we're going to get a safety i'd want Phillips without a doubt, he's a monster, not at Sean's level but he's a monster.

I must say though as i've mentioned in Phillips threads before, he doesnt like the cold, though in the NFL im sure he'll be fine playing in it.

I say this because i'm at UT and study the recruiting situation very hard every season, UT was number 1 on his list until it was abnormally cold here in Knoxville during his official visit. He then went to Miami.

Archived