Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would it be in bad taste to draft S,Kenny Phillips from the U?

Boy2Der

He is a Junior Safety out of Miami they have him going early in the first round and may be there when we pick. But having picked Laron Landry last year and ST death being so fresh how do we go about replacing him because no one we get next no matter through free agency or the draft will be a pro-bowl safety with the sky as a limit. Our Defensive Line issues to the side if Kenny Phillips is there when we pick do we take him? Or will it be just too much pressure on him?

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_draft/kenny-phillips.htm

No it wouldn't, but it would be putting WAAAAAAY too much pressure on him.

Even if he is ready to take on the pressure, I still would not feel comfortable putting it on him. Granted, if we let him sit for a while, then I dunno, but he is a beast...not a meast, but a beast

So then let's bring in a free agent and not spend a high pick on a kid that everyone will think will have to replace Sean Taylor.

You don't replace Sean Taylor, you just get another safety.

RIP

I'm not saying draft the kid, I don't even know who he is. I was just stating how Denver went about filling their position need after the death of Williams.

I'm not saying draft the kid, I don't even know who he is. I was just stating how Denver went about filling their position need after the death of Williams.

right right, but the thing is, without sounding insensitive, Dre Bly's CB skills were better than Williams'.

We're gettin a rookie...

If it is too much pressure on Phillips, why wouldn't it be too much pressure on ANYBODY we bring in to play FS, draft or FA? Whoever the next person is to play FS for the Washington Redskins will have an amazing pair of shoes to fill.

Nor, do I think it would be in bad taste to draft the kid even if he plays for Miami, and the same position as Sean. I mean, if the kid is good, the kid is good. Sean was the focal point of our defense, and now he is gone, we need somebody really good to replace him.

We can't just hate on the next person we bring in to play Sean's position just because he is playing Sean's position. There have to be 11 men on defense, and the guys we have on the roster now will not get it done. So we have to pass the torch to someone else, no matter how much it hurts.

I don't see how it would be in bad taste. It just wouldn't be very smart. I'd like to think that we're done trying to build a great d from back to front. Until we have a good d line, not one pick should be spent on any db's.

Every championship caliber defense in league history had a very good d line. We were pretty good in 2005 and it's been coming up short since, especially as Griffin has aged and been hurt so much.

Just my thoughts. :cheers:

But of course Snyder decided to give a max deal to Archuleta.

Actually, Williams was the one urging such an action. The problem of not having a GM is not one of Snyder making poor decisions, but of his coaches having too much control over the personnel area. If someone in a position of authority -- be it coach or GM -- tells Snyder, as owner, "we think this guy would make us a better club," Snyder's shown he will do what it takes to get the player signed. So, of course Snyder decided to give a max deal to Archuleta b/c his trusted resource assured him that it would make a tremendous difference.

I'm probably going to stand alone on this one, but I think we should draft Phillips. Sean Taylor at FS was such a huge part of our defense. We need a big time presence to take his place. It's no longer a luxury to grab a safety for us, but a necessity.

Just throwing it out there, but maybe it would be a good time to bring back Ryan Clark, if he's available. I honestly have no idea how he's performing in Pittsburgh, but we'd be keeping it in the family...

Last I heard, he was no longer the starter this season.

Archived