Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would it be in bad taste to draft S,Kenny Phillips from the U?

Boy2Der

Have you people even watched this kid play this year? He most likely won't even leave Miami because he has had such a average year. The guy put on a lot of weight and seemed to have lost his range. He is not half the player Taylor was. Rolle from FSU is a better saftey then him.

Myron Rolle is another beats, another very high recruit. I believe he's only a freshman or sophomore though and will be unable to enter the draft this year.

All the top Florida schools tend to lose a lot of players early to the draft so I would never count someone out of leaving early.

I don't think it would be bad taste we definitely have a hole there and it will never be filled with a man of the class and stature of a Sean Taylor, but I believe Taylor would want the Washington Redskins organization to do what they needed to do to have the best team to win. If that means drafting a safety then so be it. It will be a lot of pressure, but coming into the NFL in general is a lot of pressure on anyone. You either have it or you don't and God knows Taylor had it.

At what point do we draft for a position other than the secondary?

We've had 9 first round picks since 1999.

Two have been used on QBs.

Four have been used on the secondary.

Allocation of resources' date=' perhaps?[/quote']

Well, with GW's defense its heavily reliant on the secondary's ability to blanket the offense while the front seven goes blitz crazy.

Honestly, I'd rather we grabbed someone like Darren McFadden, tho I bet he'll be gone before we get a chance. He can be the backup to Portis, trade Betts for draft picks, and pick up some project players/tall receivers, maybe some new blood for Buges to craft a backup offensive line to prevent what happened this year and the O-Line. We've been drafting for the sole purpose of defense for so long, it's time for the players we have to prove theyre worth the paychecks.

I just looked at our depth chart and Sean's still on there. http://www.redskins.com/team/depthchart.jsp

man, this is so sad.

They already stated theyre going to keep him on there for the rest of the season out of respect and as a way to honor him.

Im not gonna suggest drafting the kid untill I do my research.

However, it is clear that gregg williams favors a strong secondary. With Rogers injury and Taylors passing, look for us to aggressively go after a FA or spend our 1st pick on a CB/FS.

He proved this year with 2 competent safeties that his plan worked.

Unless however we hire a new DC because he is our new HC. Then we might see some slight alterations. Who knows. Its too early to tell.

Lets finish the season and honor ST by forgetting about replacing him untill this season is over.

He's probably the heir to Harrison. Btw there arent many good safeties out there. Doughty is not a starter. One of our stronger positions is now weaker. Get Phillips. There are good DL's hitting free agency, and we can find solid linemen later in the draft.

I don't watch a whole lot of college ball, but I saw this kid play against UCLA last week, and he is a freak of nature.

Remember this kid named LaRon Landry who played for LSU and was also a freak of nature? Oh right, he's given our defense some serious confidence and really improved the team as a whole in his rookie season. (Landry is the man)

Not saying this USC kid is worth a first round, obviously an O and D line are crucial.

We really need to go out and get a somewhat veteran FS to help Landry grow as a SS. Landry really looked up to Sean, so it's probably best that we find a FS via free agency. Im telling you now, Bob Sanders is our guy.

NO ONE will ever replace Sean Taylor, but even he'd want us to get the best player available so that we may start winning again.

Considering the FA market isn't too appealing in terms of safeties, yet will have 3 major DL (Justin Smith, Jared Allen, Terrell Suggs) I think that we need to draft a safety in the first round. Granted, we will seem like the lions of the draft, but with DBs, but its what we need. I don't care about what we did in the past, I care about what's best for this team, and quite frankly, a DL in the draft might be good, but then who do we get for a safety...? Phillips seems to be a good choice, in my opinion.

He is a Junior Safety out of Miami they have him going early in the first round and may be there when we pick. But having picked Laron Landry last year and ST death being so fresh how do we go about replacing him because no one we get next no matter through free agency or the draft will be a pro-bowl safety with the sky as a limit. Our Defensive Line issues to the side if Kenny Phillips is there when we pick do we take him? Or will it be just too much pressure on him?http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_draft/kenny-phillips.htm
i like the value, i sure wouldnt start him right away and if theres a better player available i wouldnt say hes a lock

Yeah and we don't need safety we need D Line

We should have kept Ryan Clark from 2 years ago and we wouldn't even have this discussion about Landry and our D Line. But of course Snyder decided to give a max deal to Archuleta.

I was thinking the same thing..

Whether we like it or not, no one will replace ST. But, why pass on a kid that has his physical size and can play. I'd take Phillips in a heartbeat or the kid from USC. The fact of the matter is we NEED someone back there.. That way Landry can play where he is supposed to, close to the line of scrimmage. I'm all for it, no pressure, no nothin, our team needs a Free Safety.

I was thinking the same thing..

No crying over spilt milk though.

And Clark has been quite injured lately, so dont think about signing him back a la Omar Stoutmire.

As for the FS spot, I see four options:

1) Keep Reed, see how he is for another year

2) Sign Ken Hamlin, he's only 26 and he's been solid

3) Draft Kenny Phillips

4) Draft an S in the 3rd round - I simply dont trust this FO to find a solid S in the 5th nor do I think that there will be one.

As for what I want to do, I think we should go option 1. We need a DE like a baby needs its mother. Sure we can get one in the second round, but that forces us to take a WR in the third and then OL in all the later rounds and though this year is deep in OL, I just dont think we can find a prospect there who can go and start when called upon - we've made some bad OL picks in the past in the later rounds

Hell, I wouldnt mind option 2 either, but I really think looking at our cap situation, we dont have the bargaining power we used to...

im all for drafting howie longs kids from UVA. that kid is a beast on the line. VT's oline...along with others all year...were putting 3 dudes on him and he was still getting to the QB consistently. grab him then look for oline, reciever, and saftey help...in which ever order. just get long first. :cheers:

rip21st

Archived