Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Goodbye, Sean.

Art

This was the hardest thing I've ever had to write.

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=32290

ExtremeSkins Fan View: Goodbye, Sean

By Arthur Mills

ExtremeSkins.com

November 30, 2007

We didn't know Sean Taylor.

On 4th-and-four against Dallas, as he jarred the ball free from Patrick Crayton, we thanked him.

We admired him against the Vikings as Moe Williams came rushing forward full speed only to be stoned cold.

When he didn't communicate with the coaching staff during an absence, we were frustrated by him.

We were amazed by him as he sat deep in coverage, seemingly beaten against Green Bay, goading Brett Favre to throw behind him only to gallop into the play to make the play.

He made us smile as he floated into the end zone against Philly, made us marvel as he intimidated Terrell Owens, made us shake our heads when he worked out in Florida, made us get up and cheer when he had the ball in his hands.

He made us all do and feel so much.

On Tuesday morning, he made us cry.

We woke up and the first thing we did was check for information about him. This man we didn't know. This man we loved so much for what he could do.

We've drifted through this week dazed. Some of us seeking the huddle of fellow fans holding each other together, some of us spacing out internally attempting to put answers to questions that have no answers.

We catch ourselves closing our eyes in disbelief days later.

People in our lives we do know, who may not otherwise even like us, have reached out to us to offer sympathy for the loss. Cowboy fans even seem to care.

The feelings and response is so crazy. So stupid. So ludicrous. So wrong. So understandable. So sane. So right.

All of it.

We hate ourselves when we think about what this means for the team. How could we? It's just not important. Kickoff is still at 1 p.m. ET on Sunday. How can we not?

Men who did know Sean Taylor have to suit up and play football. Coaches who did know Sean Taylor have to watch game film, prepare a game plan, teach it to the players, then coach a game. Then pack up for a trip to Miami for a funeral.

If we feel the way we do, what must it be like for them? How will they respond?

If the team responds to Taylor's death finding unity and purpose behind these unwanted, negative emotions by going on a memorable, admirable streak of victory, could we cheer?

If the team responds to Taylor's death with distracted, even disinterested play, causing a string of losses, could we boo?

Before Tuesday, being a football fan was simple. He can't play or he can. He can coach or he can't. If we had Taylor, Owens would not have had any catches. Campbell's not clutch, or he's an emerging star.

We had football and the views of football fans, regardless off how divergent they can be. Views uncomplicated by the realities of life until life's tragedies intrude and remind us just how shallow our passion is, but just how wonderful it is because of how pure and simple it is in a world where a man can be taken from his family so senselessly.

It took Taylor's death for us to get to know him better.

To know he was seeing a woman related to Andy Garcia. To know he was a homebody since the birth of his child. To know he was maturing. To know he was easy with a smile to those he knew and trusted.

Each story bringing us closer to the man we only knew on the field yet who has now impacted us so greatly off it.

Each story connecting us more to the man Sean Taylor was rather than the football player we knew him to be.

In this week after three consecutive losses, he unites us with the team in a way no victory could accomplish.

On Sunday our cheers will come more from the heart than the throat. It will be our release. One we need.

One our team needs.

Sean Taylor's no longer here for us, but, for a while, he'll be with us more than ever before.

Art:

Beautiful, really beautiful.

My 11 year old son asked me if I’d ever gone through some thing like Sean Taylors death.

I said very similar thing a couple of day’s before my birthday in 1970 we lost Coach Lombardi.

I remember back then, someone sharing an old Irish Saying that goes something like this:

“A man’s character isn’t so much measured by whether they are spoken of after they’re gone,

But rather if he will be missed”

Sean we’ll miss you

Archived