Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis & Moss Let Gibbs Down Again

bulldog

The lead photograph in the Washington Post tomorrow is going to be that final interception the end zone, but the real story of this football game as well as previous games against Green Bay and the New York Giants has been the singular failure of the players charged with making this offense go at the skill positions, Portis and Moss, to hold onto the football and make the plays that are in front of them.

Sure, Portis and Moss have performed well in individual games along the way, but when you give players the kind of contracts and treatment these two have enjoyed here in DC, you expect the solid, productive performances on a consistent basis, week in and week out, for 16 weeks. And they haved failed to live up to those obligations.

This week as in Green Bay you can't blame Gibbs for conservative playcalling. You can't blame Gregg Williams for his unit's inability to stop any particular offensive player for the Bucs.

The skill players simply torpedoed the effort today.

Perhaps if the Redskins had a veteran quarterback at the helm like Brett Favre the 19-3 deficit might have been nothing too big to overcome.

But to put a 25 year old quarterback just getting his feet wet in the NFL in that position, all but guarantees a negative result.

The fact the Redskins were able to stay in this game and make it a true contest in the fourth quarter is attributable to the defense continuing to make plays and get the Bucs off the field, and Campbell continuing to make throws to Keenan McCardell and Reche Caldwell to keep drives alive.

Instead of making Joe Gibbs get up there and take 20 minutes worth of 'how could the Redskins throw this game away' questions......perhaps it would be more on point to see Portis and Moss get up and explain what the hell the 2007 season has been about.

Because it hasn't been their shining hour, that's for sure.

Sorry enough is enough.

Gibbs let Gibbs down.

It is his goal to motivate and prepare these players and week after week they continue to make mistakes that should all be blamed on the HC.

We continue to beat ourselves not teams. 6 TO's in the most important game of the season I put it all on Joe. It is time to end this experiment.

We continue to beat ourselves not teams. 6 TO's in the most important game of the season I put it all on Joe. It is time to end this experiment.

Um, because Gibbs threw 2 picks and fumbled 4 times? Moss, Portis, and especially Campbell let Gibbs and the team down today.

If u haven't realized this by now...Portis and Moss go hand and hand when there's a bad day. IF Portis messes up, it seems as if MOss will mess up and vice versa. I don't know it's this way but that's what I've picked up on...it seems to be a pattern.

Sorry enough is enough.

Gibbs let Gibbs down.

It is his goal to motivate and prepare these players and week after week they continue to make mistakes that should all be blamed on the HC.

I think it was over when Gibbs stuck with MB for so long after paying so much for JC. I hope JG steps down and enjoys his golden years after this season, because I am not enjoying watching him destroy part of his legacy.

Which experiment? This entire team has been an experiment since 2000. One failed experiment after another. What's next?

Maybe Snyder/Cerrato is the experiment we should be rid of.

I agree Vinny is worthless, but only a complete moron thinks an owner can be cut or traded. If you have the money to take the team away from Snyder, do it or STFU.

Come on man, give it a break. The line didn't play well. Jason had multiple turnovers. Portis had multiple turnovers. Moss had a fumble. The offense as a whole only played 1 half of football. You can't singularly blame Moss and Portis. If Gibbs kicks on the 4th and inches, we are in overtime right now. There is plenty of blame to go around.

Come on man, give it a break. The line didn't play well. Jason had multiple turnovers. Portis had multiple turnovers. Moss had a fumble. The offense as a whole only played 1 half of football. You can't singularly blame Moss and Portis. If Gibbs kicks on the 4th and inches, we are in overtime right now. There is plenty of blame to go around.

They actually do get a lot of responsibility, especially Moss, who failed to pick up his game again. When it came down to clutch time, it was mostly McCardell and Caldwell making plays.

Course, Moss has a bad wheel, but he still needs to suck it up and make some plays.

Jason

The only reason Campbell was forced to throw the ball so much in the second half was because of the Portis and Moss turnovers in the first half :)

Campbell should be the ONLY player on this offense struggling to make plays given the relative experience of Portis, Moss, Cooley, etc.

Instead, these players are dropping balls, fumbling and failing to show the way forward.

Right now Keenan McCardell is the best wide receiver on this team.

Why? Because when you throw the ball to him he catches it, no excuses.

No, he doesn't get 40 yards of RAC to look sexy on the highlights. But all those flash plays are useless when you gift wrap points to the other team on turnovers early.

Portis is probably gone after this year.

The league should investigate Moss for throwing games. I said this after the Green Bay game -- Moss must owe some money to someone that can do him a lot of harm b/c his participation in this game and the GB game have cost the Redskins the game. If Moss doesn't play in this game or the GB game, Redskins win. period.

I think it was over when Gibbs stuck with MB for so long after paying so much for JC. I hope JG steps down and enjoys his golden years after this season, because I am not enjoying watching him destroy part of his legacy.

Not having a plan at QB will be what destroyed his second tenure here in DC.

Overspent of Brunell. If he wanted an experienced QB to be his starter because he didn't like Ramsey, he should have gone another route. Everyone knew Brunell was done except apparently Joe Gibbs.

Stayed with him at the expense of developing Jason in 2006.

Finally puts Jason in and now has to suffer the growing pains of an inexperienced QB at the end of his tenure.

Joe Gibbs has let himself down. He's done this all to himself and I don't feel bad for him in the least.

Portis looked bad, and even when he had openings or caught a pass -- he didn't make much yardage. After this game, I'm really soured about Portis.

Moss just doesn't seem to be getting open anywhere near as much. And when he's 'kind of open' he doesn't always make the catch. I'm not sure what's happening here?

With his bad wheel -- Moss may not be as legitimate of a deep threat anymore. I just wish our coaches could recognize that.

Considering how high Campbell likes to throw, maybe what we need are really high leapers and really tall WRs. Too bad Mix wasn't in on that last play where Campbell was intercepted.

As Clinton said after the game...."it happens", when talking about fumbles. I would not want one of my team leaders talking like that after the game. He should have said he blew it and take responsibility for the loss and oh yeah....he needs to explain why he wore gloves in Florida. What a joke.

Blaming the coaching staff is a lack of football intelligence. All you whiners wanted Joe to go for it on 4th, he does, and you whine that he did it. It's pathetic. We, as a generality, as a fanbase, are pathetic. I'm not going to sit here and say we still have hope. We do, but it's a little glimmer that dims more and more every day.

Our PLAYERS cost us this game, as they have in most of our losses, not our coach, or coaches. When we can execute, THEN you can get on coaches for their calls. But no call in the world matters when our "studs" screw it all up.

Christ, our guys could **** up a wet dream.

Sorry enough is enough.

Gibbs let Gibbs down.

actually they said that Gibbs lit into the team at halftime. what was the end result of that????? the bucs had only 15 yds of TOTAL offense and the Skins were moving consistantly down the field. two ill-advised throws and a bad decision (bad spot to begin with) is the difference. PERIOD. NOW he knows he needs to get into their collective *****es before the game and during the game and who knows maybe we can make a run. i personally think that GIBBS needs to stop being mr. nice guy and kick these guys into shape. just my :2cents:

Sorry enough is enough.

Gibbs let Gibbs down.

I can actually agree with this. It starts with your leader: the head coach.

Archived