Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis & Moss Let Gibbs Down Again

bulldog

The lead photograph in the Washington Post tomorrow is going to be that final interception the end zone, but the real story of this football game as well as previous games against Green Bay and the New York Giants has been the singular failure of the players charged with making this offense go at the skill positions, Portis and Moss, to hold onto the football and make the plays that are in front of them.

Sure, Portis and Moss have performed well in individual games along the way, but when you give players the kind of contracts and treatment these two have enjoyed here in DC, you expect the solid, productive performances on a consistent basis, week in and week out, for 16 weeks. And they haved failed to live up to those obligations.

This week as in Green Bay you can't blame Gibbs for conservative playcalling. You can't blame Gregg Williams for his unit's inability to stop any particular offensive player for the Bucs.

The skill players simply torpedoed the effort today.

Perhaps if the Redskins had a veteran quarterback at the helm like Brett Favre the 19-3 deficit might have been nothing too big to overcome.

But to put a 25 year old quarterback just getting his feet wet in the NFL in that position, all but guarantees a negative result.

The fact the Redskins were able to stay in this game and make it a true contest in the fourth quarter is attributable to the defense continuing to make plays and get the Bucs off the field, and Campbell continuing to make throws to Keenan McCardell and Reche Caldwell to keep drives alive.

Instead of making Joe Gibbs get up there and take 20 minutes worth of 'how could the Redskins throw this game away' questions......perhaps it would be more on point to see Portis and Moss get up and explain what the hell the 2007 season has been about.

Because it hasn't been their shining hour, that's for sure.

Great post man!! Posters like you make me stick around....

yeah, I have to stop living in the past if I expect to see skill players come out and play quality football on a consistent basis :laugh:

If you look at NE, Indy, Dallas, Green Bay you are going to see wide receivers and other skill players that ARE consistently excellent from one week to the next and the results are there for everyone to see.

The Redskins have smurfs all over the field on offense and their durability in 2007 has now come back to bit us in the behind.

We don't have a receiver under contract with any size and strength and in the backfield we have two backs in Portis and Betts that are prone to be careless in carrying the football and can't seem to take a hit.

yeah, I have to stop living in the past if I expect to see skill players come out and play quality football on a consistent basis :laugh:

If you look at NE, Indy, Dallas, Green Bay you are going to see wide receivers and other skill players that ARE consistently excellent from one week to the next and the results are there for everyone to see.

The Redskins have smurfs all over the field on offense and their durability in 2007 has now come back to bit us in the behind.

We don't have a receiver under contract with any size and strength and in the backfield we have two backs in Portis and Betts that are prone to be careless in carrying the football.

NE, Indy, Dallas, and Green Bay all have something we don't

a gm :doh:

Don't get me wrong I agree 100% with you regarding Moss and Portis but feel part of the blame is also on the coaching.

I agree with you, Bulldog. Moss and Portis have definitely regressed this year. I really don't want either back next year. Portis is undersized and will likely get hurt again. Moss has too many drops and fumbles and Campbell tries to force the ball to him way too much. I would be willing to keep Moss as a third WR because he can stretch the field out, but Campbell keeps trying to force the ball to him.

thanks for beginning the next threat I am going to start in about 6 weeks :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

this sucks, my bday is tomorrow, the skins lose a game where they have 6 to's and still almost pull it out, and now i am losing in both my fantasy games because i decided to go with arizona d over dallas' d :laugh: :laugh: :doh: :doh:

This week as in Green Bay you can't blame Gibbs for conservative playcalling. You can't blame Gregg Williams for his unit's inability to stop any particular offensive player for the Bucs.

The fact the Redskins were able to stay in this game and make it a true contest in the fourth quarter is attributable to the defense continuing to make plays and get the Bucs off the field, and Campbell continuing to make throws to Keenan McCardell and Reche Caldwell to keep drives alive.

JC converted a LOT of 3rd and longs today. his 2 int's did not lose this game. We straight up gave them 16 points by laying the ball on the ground inside their 20 yard line.

NO excuse for POrtis and Moss to fumble in our own red zone. Lack of concentration.

Time to cut ties with Portis at the end of the season. It seems like Bettis has more passion for the game and he proved last year he can be the workhorse back.

Seems like Moss is only an asset if he is perfectly healthy. His play of late with his heel problem is a definite liability. I'd rather see him sit until he's healthy again. Unfortunately, when he's hurt, doesn't seem like anyone else is capable of stretching the field (except Cooley).

Seems that other teams know what to do now to create turnovers against us.

Campbell is getting an NFL education this season. He will be a great QB for us for a long time.

I'm afraid that CP was overworked in '04/'05; something is different about him now. I used to expect him to put the team on his back; now I pray for him to hit the ground before he coughs it up.

Gibbs will come full circle in his head coaching career. 8-8 in '81, 8-8 in '07 before he walks. :(

Campbell had THREE turnovers. Thats the most out of anyone.

He's the goat as far as I'm concerned.

#1 - the first one wasn't really avoidable. He didn't see the defender (who destroyed Samuels) and was in a throwing motion then just got hit from out of sight.

#2 - The last two were all him but I mean why do we constantly have to play an uphill battle. We should've been in cruise control that game but nope our "playmakers" fumble it three times.

NE, Indy, Dallas, and Green Bay all have something we don't

a gm :doh:

Don't get me wrong I agree 100% with you regarding Moss and Portis but feel part of the blame is also on the coaching.

The coaching was fine today. All the coaches can do is put the players in position to make plays. They did that and our stars couldnt hold on to the ball. Im guessing that you are one of these fans that blames everything on Joe Gibbs. He has made his mistakes but the players have to be held accountable.

Portis is probably gone after this year.

The league should investigate Moss for throwing games. I said this after the Green Bay game -- Moss must owe some money to someone that can do him a lot of harm b/c his participation in this game and the GB game have cost the Redskins the game. If Moss doesn't play in this game or the GB game, Redskins win. period.

Nailed it. Its pretty obvious to me too.

:obvious:

#1 - the first one wasn't really avoidable. He didn't see the defender (who destroyed Samuels) and was in a throwing motion then just got hit from out of sight.

#2 - The last two were all him but I mean why do we constantly have to play an uphill battle. We should've been in cruise control that game but nope our "playmakers" fumble it three times.

just stop , they turned it over 6 times and campbell had 3 of them, and in 5 of the 6 losses we had a chance in every one of them to drive down and win or tie, we had 2 chances today and he has turned it over EVERY drive not 3 of them but EVERY one of them he fumbled or threw a pick, hes a backup in this league at best, 50% of this team is just not good starting with 95% of the coaches

I agree that Portis, Moss, and Campbell are to be blamed for the loss today, and I'm not really that upset with Jason. Yea he has made some very poor choices in critical moments, but he has also put us in the position to come back and win in the final seconds.. he's slowly learning. However Moss and Portis are just choking this season away. I have been a long time supporter of Portis but my support is fading away. He doesn't have the speed and versatility he use to have. Everytime he gets the ball it looks like he's running at 50%. Moss can't get open or hold on to the ball like he was once able to do either. I've given Gibbs some heat this season for some bad play calls and clock management, but I won't put this game on him. He didn't turnover the ball six times, the team did..

We just can't get it done, simple as that.

#1 His lack of pocket presensce and reading defenses is the problem.

#2 He once again advertised his target, once again we lose in the clutch.

I don't blame Jason, Jason is the only reason we we're even in the game at the end. He obviously needs to stop trying to force the ball to Santana, who can't catch anyway. Samuels was to blame for Jason's fumble, I don't know any quarterback who can hold onto the ball when he's hit from the blindside. It's just a shame that guy's like Moss and Portis got payed today, we would've been better off without them.

The coaching was fine today. All the coaches can do is put the players in position to make plays. They did that and our stars couldnt hold on to the ball. Im guessing that you are one of these fans that blames everything on Joe Gibbs. He has made his mistakes but the players have to be held accountable.

I don't blame everything on GIbbs but we are where we are because of some of the moves he has made and you can't deny that. Remember Moss did not practice and was hurt, but he did look good in the second half and was open for the winning TD.

Portis and Moss might have fumbled but they were also the keys to the second half comeback.

You also can blame coaching for that terrible 4th and 1 call at the 3 yard line.

I don't blame everything on GIbbs but we are where we are because of some of the moves he has made and you can't deny that. Remember Moss did not practice and was hurt, but he did look good in the second half and was open for the winning TD.

Portis and Moss might have fumbled but they were also the keys to the second half comeback.

You also can blame coaching for that terrible 4th and 1 call at the 3 yard line.

I agree we should have kicked the fg. But people scream when hes conservative and scream when hes gutsy. I realize that he has made some bad decisions this year but no coach can controll his players putting the ball on the grounf and making terrible passes. Norvs teams quit on him this team is not.

The Campbell hate is KILLING me. People are spoiled with Peyton Manning stories, they seem to think a QB can come into the league and in HIS FIRST 16 STARTS tear up the league.

Bring up Romo sits to pee... But how long was he a backup before he played? Three year players OFTEN struggle at the QB position, and to be honest, I don't think Campbell is struggling all that badly.

He has a few weak points.

1. He forces passes that don't need to be thrown (See: His last 3 INTs)

2. His pocket presence isn't fantastic.

But he's played WELL this season. Get over it. I'm not going to say he's the best QB in the NFL, but he's been good. Not great, not awesome, not awful, not horrible. Good.

To quote an old cliche, there is no I in team.

There are too many I's & no team on the Skins.

To blame Portis, Moss & Campbell is like saying the past 10 years + were just building years.

Don't make any sense. The WHOLE team lost today, last week & this WHOLE season.

There is no heart to this team.

Archived