Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about the Rules RE: Challenges

arkowi

I had an idea last night...

Challenges can only be made if another play has has not been run. This much I know...

But what in the rulebook would keep a team from doing the following, hypothetically:

Defense makes a "questionable" interception/fumble recovery (see last week at dallas).

Refs initially rules it an INT/fumble and spots the ball.

Defender who made the INT/recovery gives the signal quickly to the defensive captain on the field that there is a high likelihood the play will be challenged/overturned.

Defense has a package to quickly lineup as the offense and simply spike the ball.

Hence: A play has been run, preventing the opposition from having the ability to challenge.

I mean, I think it sounds dirty and reminds me of teams doing the fake spike and then throwing the ball. I am just curious if it would work. There has to be something in the rulebook preventing this...like about the entire starting defense lining up on O.

If the coach of the opposing team saw this happening, he would IMMEDIATELY throw the flag, even if he hadn't seen a replay.

This would be VERY effective inside the 2 minutes, where the booth has to review...

hmmm...or do it when you know you got the INT for the recovery and trick him into wasting a timeout... :laugh:

This is true unless the team captain on the field tells the ref that these players are reporting as certain positions. Of course, that gives the opponent a chance there to throw the challenge flag cause play cannot resume until you give the opponent a chance to line up. I doubt that the NFL would go for it cause they love possession change to have a chance to throw an extra TV timeout in the mix for more income.

That's not true....certain positions have to wear certain numbers.

How about actually running a play with the defense as offense? Even in a non-challenge situation, as a trick play. Work something up where the D could line up quickly and catch the other team totally off guard. I'm not sure about change of possession rules and how much time the refs would allow for the other team to bring on its D.

The question becomes, who from the D plays what on offense?!?! Sean Taylor at quarterback?

How about actually running a play with the defense as offense? Even in a non-challenge situation, as a trick play. Work something up where the D could line up quickly and catch the other team totally off guard. I'm not sure about change of possession rules and how much time the refs would allow for the other team to bring on its D.

The question becomes, who from the D plays what on offense?!?! Sean Taylor at quarterback?

Let's see:

OL- Griffen, Carter, Montgomery, Daniels, LFB

2 TE - Marcus Washington, Rocky

WR - Shawn Springs, ST

RB - LL

QB - Smoot

You can't have O-Linemen wearing numbers in the 90s, so that doesn't work.

It's an interesting idea, but unfortunately unworkable.

Incorrect:

It should be noted that this NFL numbering system is based on a player's primary position. Any player wearing any number may play at any position on the field at any time (though players wearing numbers 50-79 must let the referee know that they are playing out of position by reporting as an "ineligible number in an eligible position"). It is not uncommon for running backs to line up at wide receiver on certain plays, or to have a large lineman play at fullback or tight end in short yardage situations. Also, in preseason games, when teams have expanded rosters, players may wear numbers that are outside of the above rules. When the final 53-player roster is established, they are reissued numbers within the above guidelines.

Incorrect:

It should be noted that this NFL numbering system is based on a player's primary position. Any player wearing any number may play at any position on the field at any time (though players wearing numbers 50-79 must let the referee know that they are playing out of position by reporting as an "ineligible number in an eligible position"). It is not uncommon for running backs to line up at wide receiver on certain plays, or to have a large lineman play at fullback or tight end in short yardage situations. Also, in preseason games, when teams have expanded rosters, players may wear numbers that are outside of the above rules. When the final 53-player roster is established, they are reissued numbers within the above guidelines.

I'm not sure that addresses what I said. For example, I know you can't have a player wearing a number that would be an eligible receiver (ie 80-89, 10-49) play OL regardless of whether they report to a ref. Perhaps players in the 90s could report as OLs, but I've never seen it.

Regardless, even if you're right, in regards to the OP's point, you would have to spend so much time reporting to the refs on who is playing where, that it would give the other team plenty of time to throw a challenge flag, or for the officials to say they are reviewing it.

Again, an unworkable idea.

I'm not sure that addresses what I said. For example, I know you can't have a player wearing a number that would be an eligible receiver (ie 80-89, 10-49) play OL regardless of whether they report to a ref. Perhaps players in the 90s could report as OLs, but I've never seen it.

Regardless, even if you're right, in regards to the OP's point, you would have to spend so much time reporting to the refs on who is playing where, that it would give the other team plenty of time to throw a challenge flag, or for the officials to say they are reviewing it.

Again, an unworkable idea.

Well you're probably right. . .

Still fun to think about Fred Smoot as quarterback for one play though. :laugh:

I think this strategy is pretty cheap.... in fact the NFL should have a rule that if a team rushes to the line in order to avoid a challenge to a questionable play it should merit an automatic free challenge (provided they were not running a hurry up to start with). I can't stand it when teams try to "get away" with a play because the it's difficult for the officials to see.

Also tv timeouts occur after change of possession so I don't think this is possible...

I think this strategy is pretty cheap.... in fact the NFL should have a rule that if a team rushes to the line in order to avoid a challenge to a questionable play it should merit an automatic free challenge (provided they were not running a hurry up to start with). I can't stand it when teams try to "get away" with a play because the it's difficult for the officials to see.

Also tv timeouts occur after change of possession so I don't think this is possible...

Offenses rush to get plays off to avoid a challenge all the time. Should they be penalized too?

Also, TV timeouts do not occur on ALL change of possessions. Lots of them, but not all of them.

Dan T,

I'm talking about offenses rushing to the line. I know it happens all the time and it annoys me all the time (even when Washington does it). If they aren't in hurry-up it should warrant a free challenge since implicit in them rushing to the line is that something wasn't kosher about the last play. I don't know why the NFL believes this is a fair strategy.... the league pretend they want to get all the calls correct, yet when teams intentionally subvert the process it stinks to high heaven.

I really do think it should be a "free challenge" type of thing where the opposing coach doesn't have to waste one of their "coach challenges".

While it is true that certain positions are assigned certain numbers, there is also some flexibility in the numbers. For example Randy Moss was 18 in Oakland, a number usually resereved for a quarterback, kicker, or punter. Look Lorenzo Alexander. He plays on the Defensive and Offensive line but he also plays special teams and is line eligible. I kinow that you have to report to the ref that you are tackle eligible, but there are exceptions to the rule. Look at Charley Taylor he was a wide out with 42 and same with Bobby Mitchell and he was initially a tailback.

Archived