Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about the Rules RE: Challenges

arkowi

Dan T,

I'm talking about offenses rushing to the line. I know it happens all the time and it annoys me all the time (even when Washington does it). If they aren't in hurry-up it should warrant a free challenge since implicit in them rushing to the line is that something wasn't kosher about the last play. I don't know why the NFL believes this is a fair strategy.... the league pretend they want to get all the calls correct, yet when teams intentionally subvert the process it stinks to high heaven.

I really do think it should be a "free challenge" type of thing where the opposing coach doesn't have to waste one of their "coach challenges".

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with it. The team whether it is us or an opponent, can still challenge the play you just have to make a decision quickly. You can't sit in your booth watching the play over and over again to decide.

I take it no one in this thread has actually WATCHED a football game. :doh:

After every turnover or change of possession, there is an official's timeout, to allow both sides to change personnel. Even if the D did line up, the officials aren't going to spot the ball and signal the play to begin until after the opposing team has time to switch from O to D.

I could never happen.

The replay system doesn't really work. Even within 2 minutes... two examples from this Sunday game vs. Cowboys.

1) TO's first TD catch. When I saw it and saw the replay it was not clear that he had established possession and gotten both his feet down. With Springs still pawing at the ball it looked to me like it could've been moving around prior to him lifting up the first foot he got down.

2) On Washington's drive back down the field ARE caught a pass near the sideline and was knocked down, landing out of bounds. For some reason the side judge ruled that he was still in bounds. In fact you could see ARE complaining and I think Fox gave a pretty good replay.

I think both of these plays should've been reviewed, but why not? Coaches should be able to challenge regardless of if the officiating booth thinks so or not... it seems like those replay officials are sleeping on their job.

Archived