Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We should just cut Brandon Lloyd now and move on

FanSinceSonnyJ

Is it just me or does the house going on the market on monday followed by a season ending injury on wednesday seem a little strange? Not quite Xfiles strange, but strange.. Give him a nice "injury" settlement and ship him out of town without having to cut him? Its just a little too...

It is a bit odd to say the least. However, you gotta give Lloyd credit for milking Danny and company for millions, just as Archuletta, Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, Jeff George, and all the other busts did.

Veteran free agents coming off a decent year, must jump for joy when answering the phone when Danny/Vinny call during free agency period. Free money baby!

We'll be starting KM and El, with Reche as the 3 man.

You're right, BL has not produced this year. But either has Moss. Both have 0 TD's, and Moss has way more drops.

The problem with just cutting BL is that his cap hit will be severe. He signed a 5 year, 30 million contract with 10 mill guaranteed. Since he's only in year 2 of his contract, well, you do the math.

PS-This thread should probably be merged with one of the countless other BL threads.

So he's earned 4 million of the 10 million bonus after this season. If we cut him after 06/01/08, doesn't half of the remaining 6 million go on 08 and the other half on 09? I think that's the way it works. Let me know.

Since we already don't have a full 08 draft and will likely lose another pick (contingent on Kendall's playing time) looks like it will be more of the same.

Wasn't it a 5th this year if he plays less than 80% (protects us) and a 4th in 09 if he plays more than 80% (gives the Jets a higher pick for a productive player)? We need Kendall to play the 80%, otherwise we'll be without a 4th AND a 5th in 08. Already missing the 4th for our fullback TJ Duc.....oh yeah, he's in Detroit. :doh:

So he's earned 4 million of the 10 million bonus after this season. If we cut him after 06/01/08, doesn't half of the remaining 6 million go on 08 and the other half on 09? I think that's the way it works. Let me know.

He's due a roster bonus in April, though.

If you cut him now, you save the roster bonus, but accelerate the rest of his signing bonus.

If you wait until 06/01/08, you have to pay the roster bonus (which is well into seven figures, IIRC), but get to spread out the hit from his signing bonus.

Neither scenario is good.

Either way - it's going to cost a lot to get rid of the bum. As far as the money issues are concerned - Snyder and his mathematicians will figure out a way around the cap like they always do. We'll probably end up asking our other players to take a pay cut in order to get past the cap. I bet they'll be chomping at the bit to do it.

One would only hope (fleeting hope, but hope nonetheless) that this would be the last straw for Snyder. He's got to be infuriated that it cost him $10 mil to get a player with a bad attitude who only caught 23 passes for mediocre yards at best and no TDs (not to mention the draft pick(s)) we also lost acquiring him.

Maybe this will force Snyder to start re-evaluating how the team approaches the off-season. Maybe we'll start drafting and training our own talent in-house and only using free agency for players in their prime who have a proven track record.

We all know it won't happen, but this has really got to infuriate Snyder. But then again, he's making so much money, he probably doesn't care.

The scary part is, BLloyd is cheaper to keep for next year than he is to cut! He has a small base salary next year, with a pro-rated signing bonus and a $1.8M roster bonus due in April.

I really hate to say it, but it would be smarter to make him sit the bench (inactive) next year than it is to cut him and hamstring ourselves cap-wise. Or, just a thought, make him play next year and design some plays that will actually utilize his talents!

We'll be starting KM and El, with Reche as the 3 man.

You're right, BL has not produced this year. But either has Moss. Both have 0 TD's, and Moss has way more drops.

The problem with just cutting BL is that his cap hit will be severe. He signed a 5 year, 30 million contract with 10 mill guaranteed. Since he's only in year 2 of his contract, well, you do the math.

PS-This thread should probably be merged with one of the countless other BL threads.

a 30 million dollar deal means nothing. ONLY the bonus money is pro rated out over the life of the contract...not the actual year to year salary that he would have made.

So he can be cut after June 1 nxt year.

Well, Brandon Lloyd's 2008 cap hit is about 4.25 million. Cutting him would move up all the remaining guaranteed money left in his contract (except the 1.8 mil roster bonus). He has about 7.2 million left guaranteed in his deal.

Therefore, the dead cap hit will be 7.2 million (going off pre-June 1 cut, don't know the breakdown specifically if post-June 1). So a loss of about 3 million for next season, but we get rid of salary cap numbers of:

- 5.333 mil in 2009

- 5.833 mil in 2010

- 4.833 mil in 2011

- 4.845 mil in 2012

Also, since these contracts are all backloaded with minimum base salary in first few years, the yearly cap hit so far hasn't been as large: less than 2.5 mil a season. In the end, he'll cost us about 12 million in total cap spent for his 1.5 unproductive seasons with the Redskins.

Not quite. First off, it was a 7 year deal, not a 5 year deal. Secondly, half that bonus was paid in 06, half this year. Third, the CBA rules had the 06 bonus counted as pro-rated over 5 years, while this year's is counted for 6 years. So, the first bonus applies to the cap at 1 mil a year for 06-10, the second one at .8333 mil from 07-12. So, to this point, 2.833 mil has been counted against the cap, 7.167 hasn't.

His cap figures for the next two years (best of my knowledge) are 4.23 for 08 and 5.33 for 09. His release fees for the next two are 7.167 and 5.333 mil.

So, the options are:

Keep him for 08- he counts 4.23 mil on the cap and has both a cap figure and a release fee of 5.33 mil for 09.

Release/trade him after the year- he counts 7.167 mil on the cap (a net loss of almost 3 mil in cap room vs. keeping him), but his 5.333 mil figure for 09 comes completely off the books.

Make him a June 1 cut- He counts 1.833 mil against the cap in 08 (a net savings of around 2.4 milo for 08) but 5.33 mil in 09.

a 30 million dollar deal means nothing. ONLY the bonus money is pro rated out over the life of the contract...not the actual year to year salary that he would have made.

So he can be cut after June 1 nxt year.

Like another poster said, if we cut him prior to June 1 to save the roster bonus, the cap hit will be over 7 million for 08, or about 3 million more than if we kept him.

It's an interesting call.

My vote, and I'm sure I'll be in the minority on this, is to keep him for 08 so as to not compound a previous mistake. If he does something next year great. If he doesn't at least his cap # will be 3 mill less than if we released him pre June 1.

Would he renogiate? Wonder if that will even be an option.

Like another poster said, if we cut him prior to June 1 to save the roster bonus, the cap hit will be over 7 million for 08, or about 3 million more than if we kept him.

It's an interesting call.

My vote, and I'm sure I'll be in the minority on this, is to keep him for 08 so as to not compound a previous mistake. If he does something next year great. If he doesn't at least his cap # will be 3 mill less than if we released him pre June 1.

Would he renogiate? Wonder if that will even be an option.

It is an interesting call, and there are positives and negatives to each.

The downside to what you just said is that while yes, keeping him wouldn't cost any additional cap room in 08, it also doesn't save any for 09. The decision would need to be made all over again in a year, with 5.33 mil still hanging over our heads.

Again, ups and downs to all the options.

Will cutting Lloyd make us a better football team? Will it save us money over cutting him at the end of the season? So why in the WORLD would you suggest that?

Especially considering Moss has had injury problems, and so has Randle El, as well as Thrash getting injured last game, so now we are going to, just at the time we NEED to be able to run 3-4 WR sets, going to ex one of our WR in the middle of the season when it actually provides no benefits, just because you dont like the guy?

Real smart.

Will cutting Lloyd make us a better football team? Will it save us money over cutting him at the end of the season? So why in the WORLD would you suggest that?

Especially considering Moss has had injury problems, and so has Randle El, as well as Thrash getting injured last game, so now we are going to, just at the time we NEED to be able to run 3-4 WR sets, going to ex one of our WR in the middle of the season when it actually provides no benefits, just because you dont like the guy?

Real smart.

He's on IR, so he can't help this year anyway.

Real smart.

He's on IR, so he's of no benefit to us this year. If we cut him, doesn't that count against this year's cap? In that case, I could see an argument to cut him now--just take the hit immediately, and free up room in 08. Thing is, we can't afford to cut him right now, cap-wise.

Real smart.

Well Einstein, in case you haven't noticed, your boy Lloyd has caught exactly 2 passes this season and 23 since being lured here with a fat contract. That spells B U S T. Also, since you obviously haven't heard, given your brilliant comment about how we NEED to run 3-4 wide out sets, Lloyd is on IR anyway. Bottom line is I'm sick of guy not doing anything to help this team.

Archived