Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So what started the Redskins/Cowboys beef anyway?

Toe Jam

And I'm part of that few! I really despise anything Dallas b/c of the cowgirls. I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, don't like them. I want to say hate them but that's such a powerful word filled with lots of emotion. Oh screw it, I hate the cowgirls.

:dallasuck

My sentiments EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the history of the song

It's the arrogance of their organization and the Fans

The games we played against them that ended like the game in Buffalo....(how many times have they stuck it to us when we had them behind the eight ball?

That America's Team crap...that make me crazy everytime I hear it.

They for the most part get the better of us

Them being media darlings no matter what....Aikman even said when things are going well being the Dallas Cowboy QB is the best job in the world

the whole thing makes me sick...need I go on?

That's why when we stick it to them it's that much sweeter.

HAIL

we get this question every couple of months. a short version of the story is that when the cowboys wanted to become a franchise, they needed the other owners to vote. and it was known that the redskins owner would vote against them. so the cowboys owner bought the rights to the music of "hail to the redskins" and said that if he ever wanted to hear that song in the stadium again, he would vote for the cowboys. he got his vote, we got the song yada yada yada, troy vincent blocks a field goal and sean taylor picks it up and returns it for a few yards and nick novak kicks a game winnin field goal.

haha i like this summary

I think it was George Allen who started it really boiling, but there was a dislike in Washington for Dallas from the start. Apparently there was some thought that they were going to cut in to the Redskins fan base which used to stretch across the south.

That's what was told to me anyway, but the important thing is they embody all that is wrong and evil. EVERYONE hates them. We just hate them better.

The battle between good and evil goes back to the beginning. I first heard about it when I was a kid in Northern Virginia.

A kid was just supposed to grow up liking cornbread, crabs and the Redskins. And hating the Cowboys. Very simple.:dallasuck

This is correct, though I grew up in Maryland. :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

George Preston Marshall had the "hail to the Redskins song", but never copyrighted it, so the prospective owners of Dallass held it hostage and would only give it back to him if he voted for a team in Dallass. GPM owned the whole south with Radio and coverage and didn't want to give the area up.

Well, as a fourth generation Floridian, I can tell you that he did NOT lose Florida! My grandfather was a Skins fan. My Dad was a Redskins fan. And *I* am most decidedly a Redskins fan! Sure .. there are always the idiot fairweather Cowboy sheeple everywhere, but Florida is Skins country. Most native Floridians grew up being Skins fans before there were the Yucks, the Jugs, and the Deadphish.

Some of you will probably think I'm stupid or extremely ignorant, but with all of the things I've learned about this team, I never was taught the real reason that these two teams hate each other.

All I know is that I was taught not to like the Pukes. Then as I got older, I hated them simply because of their arrogance, ****iness, etc.

But what really started it all?

Guesses:

1. Caucasians stealing the country from Indians (aka, see a John Wayne movie).

2. The history of "the country" of Texas, which has anti-establishment bent. Natural to oppose nation's capitol team.

Hail to the Redskins

Roger Staubach - Makes me sick

America's Team - Then I must not be American

Drew Pearson, Michael Irving, Tony Dorsett, Calvin Hill, Randy White, Ed Jones, Harvey Martin, Craig Morton, Clint Longley, Bob Hayes, Walt Garrison, Hollywood Henderson, Tom Landry, The Star, The hole in the Stadium, The Cheerleaders, Being able to wear their white jerseys on the road and forcing other teams to where their road jerseys, Giving us Norv (They knew he wasn't head coaching material when we sought permission to talk to him), Anything blue and white, the announcers having mental masturbation sessions when Dallas plays, Redskins have fallen behind in value of the franchise and in number of SB's played. Yada Yada Yada Yada (stolen from another poster) lol

Well, as a fourth generation Floridian, I can tell you that he did NOT lose Florida! My grandfather was a Skins fan. My Dad was a Redskins fan. And *I* am most decidedly a Redskins fan! Sure .. there are always the idiot fairweather Cowboy sheeple everywhere, but Florida is Skins country. Most native Floridians grew up being Skins fans before there were the Yucks, the Jugs, and the Deadphish.
your one hundred, how was your grandfather a skins fan?:D

Way back, the original owner of the cowboys was trying to have a team in the NFL. This needed a unanimous vote from the other owners. The owner of the Skins, JP Marshall, kept voting "NO"

Mr. Marshal had a falling out with the guy who rote "hail to the Redskins", and that guy sold the rights to the song to the cowboys potential owner. Now this potential owner had leverage over marshall, and in return for the song, Marshall voted yes to the caowboys. The potential owner had new lyrics for the cowboys ready and was rubbing salt in the wound.

So there you have it. Plus, they suck.

Not quite. Marshal's wife wrote HTTR, but they never got it copyrighted. The COwboys swooped it up and bought the copyright and held it hostage for a vote. Then, when they got their franchise, via league rules back then, they took all of the best Redskins on the roster at that time that they could and made them Coeboys.:doh:

There is so much crap between the ownership of both clubs it leak into the fans base. It hasn't been as strong as it was in the 70s and 80s but hopefully Campbell will change that to a point where the media will hype up the games (Pats vs cowboys) and the rival true hate will be alive again.

Some of you will probably think I'm stupid or extremely ignorant, but with all of the things I've learned about this team, I never was taught the real reason that these two teams hate each other.

All I know is that I was taught not to like the Pukes. Then as I got older, I hated them simply because of their arrogance, ****iness, etc.

But what really started it all?

I believe it had something to do with the killing of buffalo.

Not quite. Marshal's wife wrote HTTR, but they never got it copyrighted. The COwboys swooped it up and bought the copyright and held it hostage for a vote. Then, when they got their franchise, via league rules back then, they took all of the best Redskins on the roster at that time that they could and made them Coeboys.:doh:

You are dead on my friend..... Dont forget about the chickens though!

EDIT: I found this.... Gotta love Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboys-Redskins_rivalry

"

In December 1961, an unknown number of Cowboys fans snuck into D.C. Stadium, armed with bags of chicken feed. When Alaskan snow dogs were to drag Santa Claus onto the field during the halftime show, the pranksters would unleash dozens of hungry chickens onto the field - 75 white, one black. The significance of the black chicken was to symbolize how Marshall was the only owner in the league who would not recruit an African-American football player; Marshall boldly stating, "We'll start signing Negroes when the Harlem Globetrotters start signing whites."

The chickens fit into two large crates, which were smuggled into the stadium the morning of the game. The chickens and the smugglers went unspotted until halftime, when a stadium usher noticed a man guarding the crates and heard the chickens. Though the guard tried to bribe the official with $100 dollars, he was quickly reported and arrested, and the chickens confiscated. As it turned out, the "official" was actually Redskins general manager Dick McCann.

The following year and the night before the third Redskins-Cowboys match-up in less than a year, pranksters snuck into Marshall's hotel suite and dropped off a large turkey in the bathroom. When Marshall went into the bathroom, the turkey puffed up and gobbled at him, causing Marshall to flee his room. "Chickens are nice", Marshall said, "but a man shouldn't fool with a mad turkey."[2]

Just minutes before kickoff, while "Hail to the Redskins" blared throughout the stadiums, four banners reading "CHICKENS" - one at each 50-yard line and one in each end zone center - were unfurled in the stadium's upper decks. Two acrobats, hired by Cowboys fans and Chicken Club founders Bob Thompson and Irv Davidson (along with the University of Maryland students with the banners) rushed onto the field dressed in chicken costumes and began to throw colored eggs. One was apprehended by a guard, but the other proved to be too elusive. By this time, the band was playing the National Anthem, therefore unable to move. The lone chicken-acrobat reached into this bag and released a chicken, then returned to his egg-throwing. Running to a sideline, he then attempted to leave the stadium by jumping over a bench, but slipped.

A group of security guards then apprehended him, but he was able to break free. He made it back to the 50-yard line, turned a cartwheel, then ran and flopped onto the 30-yard line. By this time, only aware that the National Anthem was over, the two teams rushed onto the field in the middle of the chaos. In the midst of the ruckus, the man made it off the field and into the stands. Although the real chicken was caught, the acrobat-chicken was never apprehended.

The next day, while reporting the 38-10 Cowboys victory, the Dallas News scoring summary ended with, Attendance-49,888 (and one chicken)

Archived