Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So what started the Redskins/Cowboys beef anyway?

Toe Jam

Some of you will probably think I'm stupid or extremely ignorant, but with all of the things I've learned about this team, I never was taught the real reason that these two teams hate each other.

All I know is that I was taught not to like the Pukes. Then as I got older, I hated them simply because of their arrogance, ****iness, etc.

But what really started it all?

Some of you will probably think I'm stupid or extremely ignorant, but with all of the things I've learned about this team, I never was taught the real reason that these two teams hate each other.

All I know is that I was taught not to like the Pukes. Then as I got older, I hated them simply because of their arrogance, ****iness, etc.

But what really started it all?

Their existence!!!! PLus, being Division rivals.....

:dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

we get this question every couple of months. a short version of the story is that when the cowboys wanted to become a franchise, they needed the other owners to vote. and it was known that the redskins owner would vote against them. so the cowboys owner bought the rights to the music of "hail to the redskins" and said that if he ever wanted to hear that song in the stadium again, he would vote for the cowboys. he got his vote, we got the song yada yada yada, troy vincent blocks a field goal and sean taylor picks it up and returns it for a few yards and nick novak kicks a game winnin field goal.

George Preston Marshall had the "hail to the Redskins song", but never copyrighted it, so the prospective owners of Dallass held it hostage and would only give it back to him if he voted for a team in Dallass. GPM owned the whole south with Radio and coverage and didn't want to give the area up.

Way back, the original owner of the cowboys was trying to have a team in the NFL. This needed a unanimous vote from the other owners. The owner of the Skins, JP Marshall, kept voting "NO"

Mr. Marshal had a falling out with the guy who rote "hail to the Redskins", and that guy sold the rights to the song to the cowboys potential owner. Now this potential owner had leverage over marshall, and in return for the song, Marshall voted yes to the caowboys. The potential owner had new lyrics for the cowboys ready and was rubbing salt in the wound.

So there you have it. Plus, they suck.

When they originally wanted to come into the league, the Skins owner didn't want any other teams in the south. The Skins were the southern most team at the time and were considered the team of the south. Therefore his vote blocked Dallas from establishing a franchise. Subsequently, the Dallas owner went out and bought the rights to "Hail to the Redskins" and held it hostage. They were eventually let into the league after that.

That was the begining of it but it was really the fact that they were a good team and the team to beat inthe NFC when George Allen became coach. Allen was really the one who brought the rivalry to what it is today, he had a fervous hatred of Dallas and instilled it in his entire team.

George Preston Marshall had the "hail to the Redskins song", but never copyrighted it, so the prospective owners of Dallass held it hostage and would only give it back to him if he voted for a team in Dallass. GPM owned the whole south with Radio and coverage and didn't want to give the area up.

The prospective owner was Clint Murchinson Jr. And this is only half the story, not only did Murchinson swindle the rights to the Redskins theme song from Marshall's ex-wife, he also bribed a senator $70K to get a subcommittee to declare the Redskins radio network a monopoly. Part of that deal to avoid the Redskins Radio network to be declared a monopoly was to let the Dallas Cowboys be born as well.

Born from infamy, legal and illegal.

George Allen largely responsible for rivalry as we know it today. I can tell you that

it is not like it was in 70's and 80's. In those days it was pure hatred. Before one

game (Skins were to play in Dallas) George Allen told the team they weren't going.

He told the players that we had things worked out where as he would meet Tom

Landry at midfield to fight it out. The winner would get the game. To say the least,

this fired the Redskins up. After a loss to them at RFK, Randy White threw a wreath

into the Redskins locker room.

Free Agency, Norv coaching here, and some lean years by both teams calmed things

some. It just doesn't have the intensity of years ago....except to a few of us.

Way back, the original owner of the cowboys was trying to have a team in the NFL. This needed a unanimous vote from the other owners. The owner of the Skins, JP Marshall, kept voting "NO"

Mr. Marshal had a falling out with the guy who rote "hail to the Redskins", and that guy sold the rights to the song to the cowboys potential owner. Now this potential owner had leverage over marshall, and in return for the song, Marshall voted yes to the caowboys. The potential owner had new lyrics for the cowboys ready and was rubbing salt in the wound.

So there you have it. Plus, they suck.

i thought marshalls wife wrote the lyrics to "Hail to the Redskins"

I can't believe some people on here don't really know it. I remember wanting to learn when I was really young. I didn't just hate for the hell of it. I knew that Cowboys and Indians always hated each other, but my father told me the story when I was 9. Being a Redskins fan, how can you hate when you don't know why you are hating? Makes me wonder how yall think sometimes.

we get this question every couple of months. a short version of the story is that when the cowboys wanted to become a franchise, they needed the other owners to vote. and it was known that the redskins owner would vote against them. so the cowboys owner bought the rights to the music of "hail to the redskins" and said that if he ever wanted to hear that song in the stadium again, he would vote for the cowboys. he got his vote, we got the song yada yada yada, troy vincent blocks a field goal and sean taylor picks it up and returns it for a few yards and nick novak kicks a game winnin field goal.

yada yada yada!!! :laugh:

Romo sits to pee fumbles and bumbles his way to my sig...yada yada yada...skins win!!

I can't believe some people on here don't really know it. I remember wanting to learn when I was really young. I didn't just hate for the hell of it. I knew that Cowboys and Indians always hated each other, but my father told me the story when I was 9. Being a Redskins fan, how can you hate when you don't know why you are hating? Makes me wonder how yall think sometimes.

I hated them by principle. It might not make sense to you, but it's just the way I was raised. I didn't like their attitudes either.

I probably heard the story when I was younger but I just don't remember it.

George Allen largely responsible for rivalry as we know it today. I can tell you that

it is not like it was in 70's and 80's. In those days it was pure hatred. Before one

game (Skins were to play in Dallas) George Allen told the team they weren't going.

He told the players that we had things worked out where as he would meet Tom

Landry at midfield to fight it out. The winner would get the game. To say the least,

this fired the Redskins up. After a loss to them at RFK, Randy White threw a wreath

into the Redskins locker room.

Free Agency, Norv coaching here, and some lean years by both teams calmed things

some. It just doesn't have the intensity of years ago....except to a few of us.

And I'm part of that few! I really despise anything Dallas b/c of the cowgirls. I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, don't like them. I want to say hate them but that's such a powerful word filled with lots of emotion. Oh screw it, I hate the cowgirls.

:dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

i'll admit, i didn't know the reason and still disliked them. it's kinda like "underworld" when the werewolves hated the vampires just because. it's just common knowledge around here. you just know that they are the rival. but i do see what you're sayin, people should at least have a desire to know why. and i did. i don't remember how old i was when i found out the reason, but i did always want to know.

yada yada yada!!! :laugh:

Romo sits to pee fumbles and bumbles his way to my sig...yada yada yada...skins win!!

lol bigmike wassup pimpin? i'm glad you liked that. i started to say "yada yada yada, campbell is offensive player of the week" but i thought i would say somethin redskins and cowboys related.

The prospective owner was Clint Murchinson Jr. And this is only half the story, not only did Murchinson swindle the rights to the Redskins theme song from Marshall's ex-wife, he also bribed a senator $70K to get a subcommittee to declare the Redskins radio network a monopoly. Part of that deal to avoid the Redskins Radio network to be declared a monopoly was to let the Dallas Cowboys be born as well.

Born from infamy, legal and illegal.

Thanks for the more updated version. I didn't know that part. :applause:

This is correct, but the reason we weren't voting for the cowboys is we were the southern most team at the time Dallas wanted to enter the league and Marshall didn't want them taking away the Skins fan base.

Many people feel it was from the Allen / Staubach era, but this only intensified the rivalry.

Archived