Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC- An Open Letter To Dan Snyder

@DCGoldPants

I have to say I'm so sick of "f**k soccer", yada yada yada. It's a great sport... I just don't understand the hostility. I never read "f**k basketball" or "f**k golf" on these boards.

:applause:

People are so Xenophobic about soccer, it's ridiculous.

Soccer is a sport for 3rd world countries. A ball and four trashcans, a lampost or 2 parked cars and you have a game.

I guess baseball is too then, huh? Or have you never heard of stickball?

Edit: And you have a DC United flag in your sig... :doh:

Great article. One of the best, most witty shots at Snyder I have ever seen.

JLC sarcastically brings to light the fact that Snyder has no competency in drafting nfl players.....or in knowing how to build a winning team.

The fact that this intelligence goes over the heads of most here is not surprising.

Is soccer as physical as football? Of course not. Are world-class soccer players the fittest athletes in the world? Probably so. You don't have to like soccer, and you don't have to like football. I like both, and so do many other people. Try to have some shred of intelligence and respect.

JLC sarcastically brings to light the fact that Snyder has no competency in drafting nfl players.....or in knowing how to build a winning team.

The fact that this intelligence goes over the heads of most here is not surprising.

It didn't go over my head. It's just another spoiled brat pot-shot at the owner of our team. This guy is as much of a journalist as one of those MTV retards like Gideon Yago.

Every time I ever got near a soccer ball, I got hurt in increasingly bad accidents. The last time, it was in 8th grade gym class. A guy kicked my shin instead of the ball and broke my leg. It took about eight months to recover and kept me out of sports for the rest of my childhood. So, I have a reason to despise soccer that goes beyond that fact that it's un-american. Soccer hates me as much as I hate it.

Is soccer as physical as football? Of course not. Are world-class soccer players the fittest athletes in the world? Probably so. You don't have to like soccer, and you don't have to like football. I like both, and so do many other people. Try to have some shred of intelligence and respect.

It is statements like this that show you have neither respect or intelligence. Soccer players probably the fittest athletes in the world ....you have to be joking!

In the UK we have a show called sportstars where represenitives of all european sports are pitted against each other in a range of event and soccer stars are constantly shown to be wanting.

Better all round athletes include cyclists, skiers, rowers, track stars, rugby players, pentathletes etc etc

There are some serious athletes in soccer but to sugest they are the best in the world is crazy...

And no JLCs hack job did not go unoticed...it just wasn't very well put together...

Seems to me most get it, though they aren't impressed, or choose to argue the soccer topic (happens on ES) :laugh: .

Aren't you someone with a widespread reputation for not being that sharp? Is your positive review just you being attracted to something lame?

Made me chuckle reading you guys calling soccer a ***** and a girls sport.

As well as enjoying American Football I also play and watch Rugby. The guys I play rugby with think American Footballers are *****'s because of all the padding they have to wear.

Go figure.

As well as enjoying American Football I also play and watch Rugby. The guys I play rugby with think American Footballers are *****'s because of all the padding they have to wear.

Go figure.

Are you allowed to leave your feet when making a rugby tackle?

Are you allowed to leave your feet when making a rugby tackle?

No..

Nor are you allowed to actually hit the other guys without wrapping him up in Rugby. Rugby is a great sport, and for fitness its a cross between the constant motion of soccer and the contact of football. It is a much more arobic game than American football. I wouldn't however say that it was a harder game with regard to impact, nor would I say Rugby players were tougher because they don't wear pads. Both games have evolved so much that Rugby is actually significantly tamer without pads than football, since it broke from the common soccer ancester sport.

Rugby players learn to tackly basically with severly limiting their impact. If they didn't not only would it be a penelty, they likely would injure themselves and or their oponent. Football players are tought to be human missles from peewee league.

I've known footballers to literally knock themselves silly when attempting to play Rugby without pads. Likewise any Rugby player coming up against a footballer on the rugby pitch is likely to be treated to a hit which will immediately be whistled a dangerous play in Rugby. Those hits are common place on the Football field.

A Rugby player might counter that the pads protect the footballer and that is somehow unmanly. The fact is pads are weapons in every tackle in football. The impact in football does not exist in Rugby.

Do you know who the reigning Olympic champions are in Rugby? The United States that's who. The French Rugby team walked off the field in the face of the American teams tackles. The Americn team in 1924 being a University football team.

The American footballers learned Rugby on the ship going over to Europe in 1920 and 1924 and won the gold on both occasions.

The entire team was made up of American footballers who horified their competition with there tackling....

Don't get me wrong, as Rugby players; American footballers aren't exceptional. They don't have the combination of offensive defensive and body awareness that the elite Rugby teams take for granted. Football is so specialized with platoons of substitutions and play stopages every few seconds, that it's dificult to image an American footballer not being a liability at many facites of the game on the Rugby pitch. But as for tackling; What American footballers do on the most tame plays on Sunday are considered dangerous and would cause the game to be stopped in Rugby. Remember, Rugby is a game which doesn't typically stop when one opponent kicks and wrakes his opponent into submission over ball ediquette in a ruck or maul.

Being sissy's has never been America's problem when it comes to Rugby. It's always been the intangibles and basic skills of the game which escape our squads. Since in Rugby the game doesn't stop after the tackle is made, Americans typically don't understand how to support a tackled player, nor do they understand the strategies of body position required of the tackler and the tacklee.

Go figure.

They wear all of that equipment because a 260 pound guy who runs a 4.5 is about to slam into them not some 180 pound dude :2cents:

They wear all of that equipment because a 260 pound guy who runs a 4.5 is about to slam into them not some 180 pound dude :2cents:

Rugby has the 240 and 260 pound guys who run the 4.4. What Rugby doesn't have is the 300 to 350 lb guy who bench presses 500 to 600 pounds. Those guys just can't make it around the Rugby pitch.

Seems to me most get it, though they aren't impressed, or choose to argue the soccer topic (happens on ES) :laugh: .

Aren't you someone with a widespread reputation for not being that sharp? Is your positive review just you being attracted to something lame?

Or option C, they realized 2 paragraphs in that they were reading a column about soccer and stopped reading.

I did that. :)

I love Rugby, and I love football. It's hard to hear anybody degrade either sport. They are both such excellent sports. So complimentary yet so different. Critisms by one camp against the other camp is more a reflection on the ignorance of the rules and strategies both sides have when watching the other sport.

A personal pet pieve of mine is listening to NFL telecasters call a mass pile up of bodies which sometimes occure on short yardage tackles a scrum. Equating 19 disorganized bodies in a pile on the ground with Rugby. In reality the scrum is how the play starts in Rugby. It's a highly organized and stylized tug of war, only you push rather than pull. It's more organized, compact, and coordinated than anything found in football. The word the NFL comentators should use for the short yardage pile up of bodies is a ruck. But in a ruck play doesn't stop as it does in football. So the strategies, technique, and body positioning as one side tries to win the ball are all both intuitive and highly organized.

I've heard Rugby players critisize American football because the coach is involved calling every offensive and defensive play. They think it's too managed. Again, because of the forward pass and Blocking both illegal in Rugby; American football has offenses and thus defenses which are incredible complex. It increases the strategy of the games orders by magnatude. It definitely adds to the game and is done so seemlessly behind the scenes that it's almost unnoticeable to the fans. At least it doesn't detract from the game as the Rugger might think.

Anyway...

Archived