Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This is not a debate about hockey.

Spaceman Spiff

I like the fact that they let the players fight out their problems with each other. I don't like baseball (see debate thread on baseball) but hockey is okay in my book. Not a big fan of the sport but I have no reason to hate it. Going to games are cheap and pretty damn entertaining. If you've only seen it on TV, I can understand your hate for the game. It's a different sport--not for everyone.

I liked Hockey until they took a year off because the players were a bunch of ****es. Since then I have refused to watch a single game

Hardly that simple. I think the owners and league management had a whole lot to do with it as well. The owners kept out bidding each other for players and making retarded contracts, then when revenue didn't keep up they wanted to call the players greedy and cut back their pay. It was stupidity from all directions. I'll admit, I've had trouble getting back into since the strike myself but I plan on following the Caps again this year. Before the strike, I used to go to a lot of their games and follow pretty closesly.

For all of those who say basketball playoffs are longer you are just dead wrong. Hockey season starts now, begining of October and the NBA starts the begining of November and the worst case scenario, the NBA finals finish 2 weeks after the NHL finals, sometimes even finishing in the same week. They both play the same number of games in a season.

So why do hockey playoffs take 4 weeks longer than the NBA playoffs?

Simple. In the NBA if 1 beats 8, 1 plays the winner of 4 vs. 5, and the winner of 2vs7 plays the winner of 3 vs 6.

In the National Head-injury Leauge if 1 beats 8, they have to wait to see if 7 beats 2 or 6 beats 3, becasue the highest ranked team plays the lowest rank team each round. So what happens almost every year at least once the #1 seed sweeps the #8 seed 4-0, then has to sit and wait for all three other series to finish before their next opponent is determined. Hockey's logic for this stupidity is to not have a second round series start when all first round series are finished which is BS. Does anyone really care if they play game#1 of round 2 on the same night or the day before game #7 of a first round series? It makes no sense, unless you are a hockey dinosaur.

I will admit that playoff hockey is more exciting than regular season hockey, but thats really just an argument of who's turd is prettier.

Blow this leauge up please.

You know why else hockey playoffs take as long as they do? Because unlike in basketball where teams are always getting blasted and the competition isn't always so good, hockey has a **** ton of series that go to 7 games (not to mention all the overtime games). Like I said, the competitive balance and intensity of playoff hockey is virtually unrivaled. You've never followed a hockey playoff series if you think otherwise.

Edit: btw, not hating on basketabll, I enjoy basketball plenty. Just defending hockey and hating on baseball. :silly:

Hardly that simple. I think the owners and league management had a whole lot to do with it as well. The owners kept out bidding each other for players and making retarded contracts, then when revenue didn't keep up they wanted to call the players greedy and cut back their pay. It was stupidity from all directions. I'll admit, I've had trouble getting back into since the strike myself but I plan on following the Caps again this year. Before the strike, I used to go to a lot of their games and follow pretty closesly.

Gary Bettman is an *******. He's doing his best to kill the league.

I never enjoyed baseball. I actually liked hockey at one point.

I gotcha. I used to LOVE baseball, but i dont anymore. I still like GOING to games, and i still root for the Nats and watch about a game a week on MASN. But it just seems that if you arent a Yankees or Red Sox fan, MLB doesnt want you. I wont be watching the playoffs. If i watch another inning this year, i will be shocked. I just dont care about teams other than the Nats.

Which brings up the whole lack of parody issue. The reason the NFL is by far the most popular sport is that any team can win any given Sunday, for the msot part. Teams can go from bad to good really quickly. Hockey's strike, while pissing me off, also served to bring the league closer to the NFL model.

MLB, you can bet the same teams are going to be in every year, and the same teams are going to be out every year. I posted in the Yankees thread in the tailgate that i wouldnt count them out of the playoffs when they were like 20 games back. Guess what? They're in. Its not a fair league. Throw in steriods and Cadillac Bud 162 freaking games only to end up with a play-in game, it just has really soured me.

QFT. They sorely need new leadership and I hope he doesn't kill it because, poor management aside, it truly is an awesome game. :2cents:

In all honesty, i think if NHL players had some name recognition, the sport would do MUCH better. Tough to get name recognition when half your league is eastern european and I cant pronounce your damn name.

Its all about getting to KNOW your teams.

In all honesty, i think if NHL players had some name recognition, the sport would do MUCH better. Tough to get name recognition when half your league is eastern european and I cant pronounce your damn name.

You're definitely right about that. I'd say that's a huge reason why I don't follow college sports. I didn't attend a major college and it just seems like there's too damn many teams (not to mention the players change a lot quicker, due to the 4 years of eligibility) and players to feel like I know what the hell is going on. Basketball and Football, I know the general roster of most every team and at least have a general idea of how they like to play and what they're good it. That makes it much easier to stay involved.

With hockey, I played ice and roller hockey pretty much my whole life and as such, followed the Caps, watching Bondra and Co back in the day so that's how I got into it, but I stayed watching it mostly because playoff hockey is just as intense as sports get, it really is. I need to get back into it, since the lockout and subsequent drastic roster changes around the league, I'm not too familiar with any team right now. At the very least I'm going to try and keep track of the Caps and go to a few games this year and we'll see if that gets me back into it.

Baseball has a lot of foreign players. Basketball is getting a lot more foreign players. And it's not like foreign players in hockey is a new thing - it has been like that for a long time ... the NHL screwed up with expansion and then with its labor issues, they negotiated crappy TV contracts and have done horrible marketing campaigns. They kicked off their season this year in a foreign country that DOESN'T EVEN PLAY HOCKEY - the one idea they copied from the NFL and it's one of the stupidest things the NFL has done in the past decade.

I'll watch just about any sport, but somewhere along the way, hockey lost me and the rest of America ... I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the sport really - actually I want to try to go to some Caps games this year - the league has just been poorly managed for the past decade...

Baseball has a lot of foreign players. Basketball is getting a lot more foreign players. And it's not like foreign players in hockey is a new thing - it has been like that for a long time ... the NHL screwed up with expansion and then with its labor issues, they negotiated crappy TV contracts and have done horrible marketing campaigns. They kicked off their season this year in a foreign country that DOESN'T EVEN PLAY HOCKEY - the one idea they copied from the NFL and it's one of the stupidest things the NFL has done in the past decade.

I'll watch just about any sport, but somewhere along the way, hockey lost me and the rest of America ... I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the sport really - actually I want to try to go to some Caps games this year - the league has just been poorly managed for the past decade...

Baseball has a lot of foreign players, but they still have a ton more name recognition. I watch A LOT more hockey than i do baseball, but i can name more baseball players, and i can name more foreign baseball players. In fact, i dont really consider hispanics to be foreigners at this point (dont tell Sarge :laugh: )

Hockey is going to take awhile to get their fans back, just like baseball took awhile to get theirs back after their latest player strike. It would help hockey to have something remarkable happen like a Sosa/McGuire home run race. Minus the steriods of course. Going back to DC's post, if you cant name all the Caps now, thats nothing 1 really good season wont cure.

Very poorly managed. Complaints have started to come in about the new jerseys. So if the jerseys don't retain water, where does the water go? it stays on the player and he becomes like a furnace, also their gloves and socks become soaked.

Don't forget Gary Bettman's wise decisions to expand the league when it wasn't doing well and to move teams from a hockey city to the middle of a desert. Phoenix Coyotes? Seriously. Two teams in Florida? Why Gary, Why.

Seriously, when you have possibly the best player in any sport ever playing in your city, you'll fall in love with this game

No other sports star in DC has the ability to dominate a league like Alexander Ovechkin does. It is going to be fun finally seeing him with some help this season

Go to a game, watch it live and just enjoy it. When the playoffs come, you'll feel the intensity of every face off, every shot, every save, every pass.

There really is nothing like it

Live hockey is, IMO, by far the best live sport.

you said it. i was so over-joyed going to the preseason game against the flyers, it was amazingly exciting coming back from a 5-1 defecit and winning it 7-5. i haven't been so excited for the start of a hockey season in quite some time. we've got season tickets (like we've had ever since i can remember). i just can't wait for the season to start. i hope i'm going to the first game on saturday.

you said it. i was so over-joyed going to the preseason game against the flyers, it was amazingly exciting coming back from a 5-1 defecit and winning it 7-5. i haven't been so excited for the start of a hockey season in quite some time. we've got season tickets (like we've had ever since i can remember). i just can't wait for the season to start. i hope i'm going to the first game on saturday.

I'll drop you a line sometime this year when I get some tickets, we'll have to meet up for a game. :cheers:

Ugh, I'm still scarred from the last game I went to. I know I've told the story before but it was the Easter game, game 6 of the playoffs the last time we went (when Jagr was here, ugh again). We had gone up 2-0 in the series then proceeded to lose 3 straight culminating in that Game 6 in DC. The game went to triple freaking OT, we got about 8-10 minutes from having played 2 full games. Ollie stood on his head but we just couldn't get the W. Probably the most demoralizing sporting event I've ever attended, even worse than last year's Titans game (......god dammit Brunell, jesus christ :laugh: )

Archived