Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why are people saying Campbell has a weak arm?!?`

Farbod21

Stephen A. Smith is the most reliable talking head on ESPN; everything he says is the exact opposite of the truth. Whether he's making predictions ("The US WILL win the gold at the 2006 World Basketball Championships") or general commentary ("It's obvious that Ohio State and Michigan are the two best teams in the country and the people want to see a rematch for the national championship"), the guy is completely wrong about everything he says. It's really kind of remarkable.

If Stephen A. Smith told me that the sun was coming up tomorrow, I'd get on the next plane to Vegas and bet my savings account that it wouldn't.

Campbell has a very good arm. It's not an "elite" arm but it's better than most QBs. From a pure strength and distance standpoint it's better than Manning or Brady. Not sure how that's not simply something people are aware of by now. But, what makes him possibly the answer for us is not the strength in his arm. Ramsey had a stronger arm. He couldn't throw with touch or between levels. Campbell can. Campbell is capable of the throw that makes good QBs good. He's yet to show he's capable of the anticipation and intangible stuff that makes a good QB a great one. We'll see.

One big different between the two is in the long ball. While Ramsey had a laser rocket arm, he never got any loft on his deep balls, which made them extremely difficult to catch. Campbell gets great loft on his deep balls ala Rypien and Williams, which makes him a legit deep threat. It allows receivers a better opportunity to run underneath and make adjustments on the ball that simply weren't possible with Ramsey.

One big different between the two is in the long ball. While Ramsey had a laser rocket arm, he never got any loft on his deep balls, which made them extremely difficult to catch. Campbell gets great loft on his deep balls ala Rypien and Williams, which makes him a legit deep threat. It allows receivers a better opportunity to run underneath and make adjustments on the ball that simply weren't possible with Ramsey.

Those are my fondest memories as a Redskins fan. Watching Ryp feather the ball into Clark's hands in perfect stride 40 yards down field...

:2drunks:

"Jason Campbell might not make a pro bowl, but he will be an adequate starter in the NFL. He does not have a strong arm, but it might be a little above average and that will be good enough."

What's wrong with that? Quite frankly, it's very accurate. JC has great touch on the long balls, but he does not have the strength to put enough zip on the ball to thread the needle the way guys like Brady, Favre, and Manning do. Campbell does NOT have a cannon. I think some of you have a skewed outlook after watching an old Brunell. Campbell does not have a weak arm, but that's NOT what Bayless said, at least not according to your quote. A little above average is about where I'd put it as well.

What are some of you watching? JC has a big time arm. Certainly 3x that of Tony Romo sits to pee, who is a touch and accuracy guy like Aikman was. Frankly, it is better than Big Ben, McNair, and a lot of the other guys mentioned on this post. Smith and Bayless are clowns, personalities more than experts. Guys like Ron Jaworski who can actually breakdown game film have raved of JC's arm strength. He can make all of the throws is what you hear from these guys. See the deep out patterns the Skins beat Philly on numerous times on MNF. Frankly, he can make a lot of throws the Skins' system doesn't seem to have in the 700-pg playbook! When he debuted against Tampa last year, he threw several balls over the middle that were between defenders... haven't seen them take a shot over the middle with a WR since. About the only guy they send over the middle is Cooley -- ala Manning to Dallas Clark on that seam pattern. Whether this is because Brunell lacked the arm strength to make that throw, or whether it is because we don't have a big, physical receiver, I don't know, but I wish that would change. Also, I'd like to see a lot more of JC throwing the ball on waggles and designed rollouts, as he is very comfortable out of the pocket. I like what Steve Young said, a great quality of JC is that he can run, but he does so, only when he has to. I was shouting, "Run, Run!" when Campbel hit Yoder on that improv play in the 4th quarter that set-up our last TD, but JC used his legs to create a play down field. I remember Mark Rypien -- far less mobile than Campbell -- rolling out of the pocket and throwing bombs to Clark and Sanders... I'd love to see a lot more of that in Gibbs II now that we finally have a guy that can wing it. JC's arm will look even better as he devlops a better mastery of the playbook and iming with his wideouts. Dude throws the best deep ball we've had since Rypien '91, is the best leader we've had since Theismann, and could be the first real franchise QB since Sonny (didn't want to use Joey T's name 2x). Remember this is only his 10th NFL start coming-up on Sunday... relax and enjoy watching a hardowrking kid grow-up before our eyes.

For what it's worth, B.(ust) Lloyd said Brunell has a stronger arm than Campbell. That was audio on this site during this year's preseason coverage. Of course, I refuse to believe that. It makes me think Lloyd is crazy, in addition to being generally worthless on the field.

And though I didn't see it, a buddy told me that Brodie Croyle won the arm strength portion of the QB challenge this offseason - which campbell was in - and that he could wing it 80 yards.

:2cents:

It is a well known fact among football savvy people that JC has a average arm. In fact the memo went out advising all defensive coordinators playing the skin to leave the skins receivers uncovert after they go beyond 25 yards of the line of scrimage. I mean look at Moss on Monday night. I don't know why he was thinking JC could get him the ball out there beyond 30 yards. Someone better talk to that boy

Did they really say that? That's simply sheer ignorance. Steven A. Smith doesn't know a lick about football though.

As for Skip Bayless...I just despise him altogether.

I haven't read all the threads but to add insult to injury, Stephen A. Smith will have his own hour long radio show where the Dan Patrick show use to air:doh: . I think from 3-4PM.

Mike Turico (sp?) will have his own show from 1-3PM.

I would say his arm is not stronger than Manning or Brady. Other QBs with stronger arms:

McNabb

Palmer

Favre

Young

McNair

(not starting)

Vick

Culpeper

That's just off the top of my head. There may be more.

Actually, Manning's arm is not that strong. That was one of the wraps

on him coming out of college. He is extremely accurate though.

I personally think he has one of the best arm's in football. Strictly in terms of arm strength this is how I would rank them currently.

1. JaMarcus Russell (when he eventually starts)

2. Jay Cutler

3. Tavaris Jackson

4. Brett Favre

5. Carson Palmer

6. Ben Roethlisberger

7. Peyton

8. Jason Campbell

9. Quinn Gray

10.Josh McCown

11.Daunte Culpepper

12.Tom Brady

13.John Kitna

14.Byron Leftwich

15.Patrick Ramsey

16.Matt Hasselbeck

17.Drew Brees

18.David Carr

19.Marc Bulger

20. Eli

I personally think he has one of the best arm's in football. Strictly in terms of arm strength this is how I would rank them currently.

2. Jay Cutler

3. Tavaris Jackson

4. Brett Favre

5. Carson Palmer

6. Ben Roethlisberger

7. Peyton

8. Jason Campbell

9. Quinn Gray

10.Josh McCown

11.Daunte Culpepper

12.Tom Brady

13.John Kitna

14.Byron Leftwich

15.Patrick Ramsey

16.Matt Hasselbeck

17.Drew Brees

18.David Carr

19.Marc Bulger

20. Eli

how did you come up with this list? what did you base your choices on?

This goes back to college, they have never updated the scouting reports, at Auburn he threw a bunch of slants and screens and rarely threw deep, when he did it was always the same pretty ball arching high and landing soft. When Gibbs and company worked him out he proved how wrong people were about the arm otherwise no way he makes it into the first round.

I would say Campbell has an above average arm. He's doesn't have the strongest arm in the league, but he can put some mustard on the ball when he wants to. If anything, he needs to learn to take a little off his throws (and lower them a bit.) What suprises me is not his arm strength but his touch on the long ball. It reminds me of Rypien: When he's on he can hit anything from 40 yards out.

But calling his arm 'average' isn't a hanging offense. I do think it's understating his ability, but it's not crazy either.

I think Redskin fans have gotten so used to watching Brunell and his wounded ducks that a half-decent arm looks all-world. :)

2. Jay Cutler

3. Tavaris Jackson

4. Brett Favre

5. Carson Palmer

6. Ben Roethlisberger

7. Peyton

8. Jason Campbell

9. Quinn Gray

10.Josh McCown

11.Daunte Culpepper

12.Tom Brady

13.John Kitna

14.Byron Leftwich

15.Patrick Ramsey

16.Matt Hasselbeck

17.Drew Brees

18.David Carr

19.Marc Bulger

20. Eli

I would raise Eli a little bit (pre injury) and pre injury Daunte but that is a really well made list. Roethlesburger and JC have almost Identical arm strength - anyone who thinks Brady is top 10 in arm strength needs to watch him more. There is more to throwing than strength, just ask AJ's boy

Archived