Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: On the Redskins' Offensive Line, The Loss of Jansen Is Wade's Gain

bubba9497

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/11/AR2007091101958.html

click link for full article

On the Redskins' Offensive Line, The Loss of Jansen Is Wade's Gain

__

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, September 12, 2007; E01

In the parlance of athletes, it's known as "The Nod," a brief-but-unmistakable tilting of the head, from coach to player, that means "strap on your helmet, it's time to get out there." After seven seasons in the NFL, tackle Todd Wade knows The Nod when he sees it, and following Jon Jansen's season-ending injury Sunday, Wade says he got it twice in rapid succession, a certain indication that he would be Washington's new starting right tackle.

Nothing was spoken, but when Wade locked eyes with Coach Joe Gibbs and associate head coach-offense Al Saunders on Sunday, he assumed his time had come. This is why he worked so hard to overcome major knee surgery a few years back, why he received a $6.2 million contract in the offseason, why he was so willing to attempt a doomed conversion to guard in preseason at the team's behest. He was ready to do anything for the chance to get back on the field with regularity.

Gibbs acknowledged the exchange but when asked about it Monday claimed this particular nod meant only that Wade was "going to play a huge role for us," and not necessarily start, implying an uncertainty existed whether to replace Jansen with Wade, 30, a longtime starter and veteran of 109 NFL games, or undrafted rookie free agent Stephon Heyer, 23. So by yesterday Wade was a little anxious, knowing he was the logical choice but not totally certain he was the starter until he stepped into the office of offensive line coach Joe Bugel in mid-afternoon.

"I've been waiting to get in there, so I went to his office and asked coach Bugel, and that was the deal," Wade said. "It's weird, the last couple of years since I left Houston [in 2005], you kind of get a fresh look at the season and I spent training camp [in 2006] just rehabbing and all that stuff, and now I'm finally at a place in the season where I can actually start a number of games and really get back out there and get after it and help this team win some games."

There were many days last year when Wade wondered if that opportunity would come. At times his professional future -- as a big tackle with a suspect knee -- seemed bleak and while he can sympathize with Jansen's plight, he is savoring his chance.

"Last year was really, really tough on me, to a depressing point," Wade said. "It really, really bothered me through the season. It's not easy at all the time sitting and watching from the sidelines and not playing."

Wade was an elite prospect coming out of Mississippi in 2000 -- a giant at 6 feet 8, 314 pounds at a position known for hulking players -- and was selected 53rd overall by Miami that year. Wade started all 16 games as a rookie and missed only one game in four years with the Dolphins, with 63 starts. In 2004 Houston considered him a cornerstone of the franchise, giving a six-year, $30 million free agent contract, including a $10 million signing bonus.

Just like us man, injuries suck.

Wait a minute, injuries suck just like your Cowboys do?, -----

j/k, yeah it sucks to lose players so early on. It really hurts any momentum the team built during camp and the pre-season, not to mention the continuity on a line. But it is part of the sport and thankfully it looks as though our guys will recover and walk again. You can only pray that is the case accross the board and especially in Buffalo. ----

I think the Skins are deep on the OL, and now sadly we will find out.

Time to see these other guys step up and prove their worth.

Good luck

I agree!

I'm really surprised the 'Skins haven't brought Kenyatta Walker in for a workout. Seeing how the Jansen injury is not short term, I'm sure the depth would be welcomed.

Surprised why? What could Walker do, open the door for Jansen while he's on crutches?

Kenyatta Walker is *awful*. I mean epically, definitively awful. No one in their right mind would bring him in to do anything except wash windows.

I might get blasted for this but I think Jansen is one of the more over-rated lineman in the league. I hope he gets well and comes back to add great depth. I think at this point Wade is the better tackle. He is far more imposing and can hold up better against the pass rushers that like to bull rush. Jansen has been getting pushed back for 2 years now.

I remember that we brought in Fred Matua for a workout yesterday. I wish we had signed him--I loved the type of player he was coming out of USC and wish we had drafted him:

2007 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 48 | Key

Alert: E

Comment: Matua is an aggressive, tough in-line blocker. He has some versatility and could back up at center. He gets off the ball well, has some power and wants to punish his man. He has a strong upper body and plays with good leverage. He is a good hand fighter and can be very stout in pass protection throwing punches and getting his arms involved. But Matua is inexperienced and seems to struggle against movement. His athletic ability isn't bad, but he doesn't keep his feet under control. He is a tad undersized and his hips are a little stiff. He doesn't always finish his blocks, a potentially disastrous habit.

Bram said today on Redskins Radio that Wade has a torn labrium, so we'll just have to see how he plays with a brace on his arm

I'm wondering why no one is making a big deal about this. Hopefully because its not really a big deal. If it was I doubt Gibbs would be starting him when heyer has looked so impressive himself...

I'm wondering why no one is making a big deal about this. Hopefully because its not really a big deal. If it was I doubt Gibbs would be starting him when heyer has looked so impressive himself...

Hopefully the labrum doesn't affect his blocking, because if it doesn't, we won't miss a beat with him in place of Jansen. I think the reason Heyer looked so solid was because Cooley was helping him out most of the time. I would rather Wade handle his man one on one so that Cooley can get more involved in the passing game and open things up for everyone else.

I might get blasted for this but I think Jansen is one of the more over-rated lineman in the league. I hope he gets well and comes back to add great depth. I think at this point Wade is the better tackle. He is far more imposing and can hold up better against the pass rushers that like to bull rush. Jansen has been getting pushed back for 2 years now.

I agree with you. I don't know how Jansen was still a starter to begin with. He even played terribly before going down.

I agree. And, he has not been able to stay healthy over the past couple of season.

Stephon Heyer is a find, and will get better with game experience.:point2sky

I'm more than comfortable with Wade at RT - nothing against Stephon at all...

I'm shocked nobody tried to sign Wade. He's a good RT - he just has some durability issues I think. I just hope his truly healthy and not rushing back too soon. I would play Stephon Monday if I had the slightest inkling he was still favoring his shoulder however.

Archived