Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI: The final cut; First-hand account of an NFL career coming to a close

Dead Money

Just to ease my mind' date=' why isn't my post, "pun-able"? I better just zip it. I'm going against Goliath and me with no sling.[/quote']

There's no "pun" because there's no aspect of irony in your post. Another common trait in a good "pun" is wit, of which your post contained none either. What you did was make a callous allusion, at best. At worst, you took a cheap shot that made little sense because you were too lazy to read more than the first few paragraphs, hence failing to grasp the context of a very well written piece.

This is a very good read. I especially liked this part:

"It just occurred to me as I write this how fortunate I am to have a supportive wife who is happily married to an unemployed, overweight, and slightly balding 28-year-old man. I will definitely be able to get a job and lose some weight now that I am done playing, but there is not much I can do about the balding part."

Look' date=' ITs a joke about the writing; THE WRITING. The individual has nothing to do with it, god.[/quote']

Its what we call in real life, Tact.

You have none. Its no big surprise your ability to start new threads has been taken from you.

I think as you mature, you will start to understand.

Couldn't read the entire article because the server time-out on me. But what I did read was written quite well by Tucker. He really captured his assignment with depth and understanding from his perspective on the expectations of getting "the word".

I too wish him well and hope that he either catches on with another team or add some credibility to sport's journalism.

It was the sandwich comment. There was mega overuse of the whole Subway/sandwich/lunch device in his story. That in itself made it slightly funny. Then you throw in overweight lineman appetites, priorities between football and food, and the fact that the analogy in the original story was somewhat amusing by itself, and you've got a comment about mayo that made me smirk.

I didn't really see where it was "mega overused". He just talked about it in a situational context at the beginning of his story. I thought it was pretty well used since it gives a feeling of how something terrible can happen to a person in the midst of such mundane and routine things going on around you. Standing there holding a phone with the end of a career you loved on it in one hand and some stupid sandwich that you've purchased a dozen times before in the other. I doubt it has to do with a "priority" level between football and food; more of a allusion to how transitory things can be. :2cents:

Either way, I think it was a very good story and I wish him the best.

Cry-baby. Waaa Waaa' date=' I played in the NFL, WAaa my sandwich has too much mayo. I'd give my anything to play around an NFL team like the skins.[/quote']

What the **** is your problem man? Just because you've never that passoinate about anything in your life doesn't give you the right to take a stab at a man who has.

That being said, it was a great read. I feel sorry for Ross on one hand, but feel glad for him that he has a good head on his shoulders and feel confident he will find another joy in life. Good luck to all you do, Ross!

Mr Tucker will have no problem getting career in the media with literary skills like that... if he can speak half as well the media beckons!

....as one chapter ends, another begins.... good luck Mr Tucker.

as for all the hullabaloo I've just read through....honestly....get a grip!!

I didn't mean it as anything but a joke. I don't think its ban-able material. I've seen worse. besides its only an opinion' date=' these cuts happen every year, Ross was lucky to be in the NFL he should enjoy the time because most players don't even have the shot he has.[/quote']

And....?

He clearly did appreciate his time there. He loved the game, had his shot, and now he's writing about it. Where does the whining come in, and why must you call him a crybaby? :doh:

Archived