Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does this make me a homer?

robotfire

I believe our defense will be top 3.

I believe Clinton Portis will be the league MVP.

I believe Jason Campbell will be a pro bowler this year.

Gregg Williams said that this defense reminds him of his defense from Tennessee. He compared them to THAT defense, instead of his 04 defense (famous for being a top 3 defense). They're keeping opposing offenses off the field, and they're swarming better than I've ever seen.

Over recent years, Kansas City has produced great numbers using Al Saunders' system (yes, they kept Saunders' system in 06). Portis is young, and he has put up good numbers for us in the past without having a fantastic passing game. Just think what he can do with a quarterback who throws the long ball and stretches the field.

Jason Campbell is doing all the right things. He didn't throw an interception, converted third downs consistently, and has spread the ball around to different players down the field. Moss didn't play much this preseason, and Campbell still played well. With the work he put in and the re-emergence of Clinton Portis, Jason Campbell will be elite. Against Pittsburgh, he was 6 for 8 (75 yards). He was on his way to a touchdown drive when he got injured. Against Jacksonville, he was 5 for 5 (54 yards) and a touchdown. Preseason isn't a tell-all, but it does give us a hint of things to come. He did this with virtually no running game.

I honestly believe this will be a year to remember. Am I a homer, or am I right? Maybe a little of both, I guess...

That's beyond homerism. That's REDSKINSISM!

That being said, I 110% agree! Hail to the Redskins baby!

I love preseason. You can really tell a lot about people in preseason.

Preseason is just preseason.... unless a player or unit does something good. Then it's foreshadowing of the regular season. If someone or a unit under performs... then it's only preseason.

Preseason means absolutely nothing.

I expect more from you Die Hard. Preseason record means nothing, you are correct.

But when Tom Brady embarrassed us last preseason, it meant alot.

You can tell alot about your team in preseason, last year it was clear our defense was a joke.

This year it has shown we will have difficulty getting sacks from our d-line, and our secondary still needs a tune up.

I expect more from you Die Hard. Preseason record means nothing, you are correct.

But when Tom Brady embarrassed us last preseason, it meant alot.

Um, Tom Brady is a Hall of Famer. Getting your butt handed to you by Brady and the Patriots happens to a lot of teams. Even in the regular season.

Um, Tom Brady is a Hall of Famer. Getting your butt handed to you by Brady and the Patriots happens to a lot of teams. Even in the regular season.

He sure is, and it showed that we weren't ready to play with the big boys.

Preseason gives you a peak at what you can expect, and last year it held true.

This year we've shown in preseason our D is better than last, and our offense is a question mark.

It certainly doesn't show where we will finish off, but preseason shows something.

:2cents:

I think top 5 defense.

Top 5 rushing offense.

10-15 passing offense.

CP might be NFC MVP

Campbell might make the the probowl.

We just have to play marty ball!

Run, Run,Run and go deep every now and then.

let the defense carry the team.

uggh.

Thank God we have Al saunders running our offense. If I had to watch another Gibbs-style offense like the one you describe, I'd shoot myself.

There's a reason we went out and got Al Saunders. And that's because offenses like that are predictable and inefficient.

By the way, how did that kind of game plan work out for us up in seattle in 2005? :rolleyes:

This year it has shown we will have difficulty getting sacks from our d-line

Dude, if you didn't already know that from the past then WTF have you been watching? We didn't need to watch pre-season to learn this.

Lets see, we added NOBODY on a DL that got very few sacks last year. They are 1 year older.

HMM, rocket scientists all over the world agree with you and none of them watched any pre-season games!!

uggh.

Thank God we have Al saunders running our offense. If I had to watch another Gibbs-style offense like the one you describe, I'd shoot myself.

There's a reason we went out and got Al Saunders. And that's because offenses like that are predictable and inefficient.

By the way, how did that kind of game plan work out for us up in seattle in 2005? :rolleyes:

I love Brunell and think he's a great player, but the "style" we saw from Gibbs was closely tied to Brunell's inabilities. Saunders, the guy known for randomness, looked predictable with Brunell in there.

Preseason gives you a peak at what you can expect, and last year it held true.

It certainly doesn't show where we will finish off, but preseason shows something.

You're using the benefit of hindsight now to justify things.

Last year, Drew Bledsoe was the 5th highest rated pass in preseason:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&statisticCategory=PASSING&season=2006&seasonType=PRE&experience=null&tabSeq=0&Submit=Find&qualified=false

He went 33/44 and threw for 3 TDs and 1 TD. But of course, judging by preseason you knew he would struggle and be replaced by Tony Romo sits to pee right?

And the Redskins offense looks to be a question mark.... despite playing without Chris Samuels and Clinton Portis. Wow, that's a stretch.

And you're also going out on a limb and judging that the defense will improve from the last overall ranking in the NFL last year. I mean, they've got nowhere to go but up.

Tell you what.... let's eliminate hindsight. Tell me what you saw in preseason around the NFL.... and start making snap judgments that we can all hold you to by the end of the year.

My predictions aren't entirely based on preseason.

* Campbell looked decent in his first year, and he looks like he's improved dramatically.

* Our defense was great in 04 and 05, and 06 was a fluke. The way they're swarming and looking incredible is a solid sign that 06 was a fluke.

* Portis hasn't even played this preseason. My prediction has absolutely nothing to do with preseason for him. It has more to do with Al Saunders' trend of generally similar stats in his first year and vast improvement in his second with a team. His runningbacks usually benefit. He made Ladell Betts look like a pro bowler, and I'm just not convinced that Betts is good enough to be a starter on most other teams.

uggh.

You know that depends on your OL. If you can force the ball down the other teams throat it really does not matter if it is predictable or not. In fact I have seen it work before on more teams than just the Redskins, for championships no less.

Do we have the personnel to run that kind of deal this year I don't know, but doubt it. However, with a great defense and some kind of running game, Al Saunders can mix it up enough to more than get the job done.

BTW, sorry your bored by dominant football in which no team can stop the other and they just get beat down without recourse. I don't know if you ever played the game, but there is great satisfaction on one side of the battle and a great humbleness and envy on the other side.

Tell you what.... let's eliminate hindsight. Tell me what you saw in preseason around the NFL.... and start making snap judgments that we can all hold you to by the end of the year.

I called it last year. And I was right. I am talking about Starting TEAM/Units...not individuals.

I didn't say I was a psychic and could predict records based on the preseason. I said you can tell a lot about a team in preseason.

I didn't say I could predict if a QB could struggle. I am not focusing on a specific player but a team.

Dallas preseason with Bledsoe showed that the Cowboys were clicking on Offense. The showed they had the talent to go into the season.

Our defense CLEARLY showed last year in preseason that there was a problem.

This year, our defense CLEARLY showed that it has the potential to be a good/great unit. It also showed that the defensive lineman still aren't going to sniff the QB's jock that often. The QB still has too much time to throw, so we will have to live by the blitz. Our secondary showed it still lets some passes that you wish had better coverage. But it is only preseason.

On offense it is CLEAR that we have a glaring weakness at #2 wideout. The offensive line showed that they are not built for a Portis type back, but more of a bulldozing unit. Jason Campbell showed he has some potentiaal to be good, but still a little slow once he hikes the ball. The other QB's showed that we don't have a chance if Jason goes down.

You run your football programs, you should see these things too.

See me in a year.

Since this is a homer thread, here's what I think --

1) The season needs to start for real. Then we'll see where we're really at.

2) Then, the TEAM needs to gel as a unit. That can only happen out there in the real season. Just as the team gelled after Arrington ran that turnover back for a TD during Schott's year. From 0-5 to five wins in a row and to the cover of Sports Illustrated. It needs to come from the heart, just as Coach says. With luck, it will happen.

Yes, that makes you a big big homer.

But I have to admit that I feel a little better about the team after the way things went this preseason. Nothing concrete, you can't take much concrete from preseason games. But this year's team seems to, I don't know, take the game a little more seriously this year as opposed to last year. There seems to be more intensity, more focus.

That's really all I can take from the preseason. We might be a more focused team this year. And that might translate into more wins.

But this team is a HUGE question mark. Our QB is relatively unknown. Our defense has been re-tooled. Our RB has been hurt most of the offseason. Our LT is hobbled. There is no way you can think this team will be elite at anything unless you are a huge homer. But that's ok with me. :)

Archived