Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The next offensive line coach

Mania

Whether Gibbs retired after this year or fulfills his 5 year contract, Joe Bugel will probably leave when Gibbs decides to step down as head coach as they go hand in hand. Bugel and Gibbs are like two peas in a pod.

Whom do you feel would replace Bugel as the offensive line coach of the Washhington Redskins, assuming Williams assumes head coaching responsibility or even Saunders or another coach take over.

More than likely everybody on this board would like to have Russ Grimm as the OL coach, but he would like a head coaching job and I don't see that happening in Washington after Gibbs retires. Maybe down the line, but not after Gibbs steps down.

Taking Grimm out of the mix, who would you like to be the offensive line coach.

Ray Brown.

Beat me to it! I think there's a very real chance of Ray becoming the next OL coach.. after all, he was brought in last season as a consultant. Or, if Al sticks around, this would be a good opportunity for him to bring in some assistant coaches that he has worked with in the past, who know his system.

Ray Brown.

seriously if i remember correctly our offensive line was terrible and then when he started his consulting gig they seemed to be playing amazing. After listening to offensive line coaching for 20 years I guarantee its not beyond his capabilities to be an OL coach

I feel the line came together last year because of a couple of reasons, but none of them has anything to do with Ray Brown being the consultant. I'm not saying he couldn't be an OL coach, but none starts out as an OL coach without being an assistant first. Not even Russ Grimm!

Now, my reasoning on the OL did well the latter half of the season is the following....

1) The OL started learning the new blocking schemes that Al Saunders was teaching them and they started to become 2nd nature.

2) When Jason Campbell started playing, defenses couldn't crowd the line of scrimmage because they new he did have armstrength unlike Brunell.

Rant on....

Whether Gibbs retired after this year or fulfills his 5 year contract, Joe Bugel will probably leave when Gibbs decides to step down as head coach as they go hand in hand. Bugel and Gibbs are like two peas in a pod.

Whom do you feel would replace Bugel as the offensive line coach of the Washhington Redskins, assuming Williams assumes head coaching responsibility or even Saunders or another coach take over.

More than likely everybody on this board would like to have Russ Grimm as the OL coach, but he would like a head coaching job and I don't see that happening in Washington after Gibbs retires. Maybe down the line, but not after Gibbs steps down.

Taking Grimm out of the mix, who would you like to be the offensive line coach.

I hate to even think of Bugel being gone, but Joe Jacoby would be a great pick as O-line coach. Hell! Any original HOG would be a great pick. If any were to be picked for that position, they'd take much pride in their job.:2cents:

I hate to even think of Bugel being gone, but Joe Jacoby would be a great pick as O-line coach. Hell! Any original HOG would be a great pick. If any were to be picked for that position, they'd take much pride in their job.:2cents:

Is Russ Grimm the only ex Hog coaching right now?

I apologies in advance if i'm blatantly missing anyone, i've never thought about them coaching in the NFL

Russ Gr....

Joe Jac......

Jeff Bos.....

Jim La......

Mark Ma........

uhh...Ray Brown?

Yeah Ray Brown. You been in a hole the last couple years Rock? Bostic, Jacoby, May, aren't options I don't think nor is Grimm at this point. Ray Brown seems like the closest to reality at this point especially since Buges would probably help him get his feet wet the first year. All speculation but why the hell would Ray Brown be a stretch? Rhetorical question really :)

HTTR

I dont know much of anything about any of the assistants on any other team in the nfl, let alone college. I would think that this kind of question would be best asked to Buges himself. Hes the guy with the system and I would hope someone could become his "disciple" as that seems to be the keyword for this question.

A good player isnt always a good teacher unfortunately so I'm not as sold on Ray Brown as some of you guys are. That said, if he displayed the aptitude for it then yes I'd love to see his take on things.

Ray Brown easily. In his 20 years in the league, the man has been a crapload of schemes and can use that experience to decide on one that fits Saunders's style of ball.

he's also been coached by Joe Bugel for a big chunk (Arizona when Buges was head coach and Redskins recently) as well as Hannifan when here in the early 90's, as well as played with Jacoby, Bostic and Lachey.

Archived