Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Godfrey Signed/ Lemar Marshall released PFT (merged)

jpgirth

Anybody who watched the last game of the 2006 season (against the Giants) and this preseason knows that Marshall has looked terrible. It's obvious. Yes, he was great in 2005, and yes, he fought hard last year. But he doesn't have it anymore. He's not great in coverage, he's soft, he can't tackle. He may "know" the defense, but he can't execute it. Maybe we can hire him as an assistant coach.

Those angry about the move, I'd be interested to know what specific part of Marshall's game you will miss (besides the amorphous "knowledge of the system").

EDIT: I don't support signing any former Cowboys. They make me want to vomit. :puke:

I'm shocked. I just don't understand why'd we get rid of a veteran guy while #53 is injured, just to bring in some other guy to see how he works out. I don't get it. Can't wait to see an explanation.

I hope there's something locker room related that justified this. I'm not saying Lemar Marshall was the best guy for our depth, but he wasn't Warrick Holdman either.

Those angry about the move, I'd be interested to know what specific part of Marshall's game you will miss (besides the amorphous "knowledge of the system").

I'm not angry, really...just shocked.

Of course knowledge of the system is important, but even more so, I think the shock is that this comes at a time when one of our starters (Washington) is injured. Just seems like bad timing if nothing else.

Then again, maybe Williams just didn't think that Marshall is worthy to start in his D with his performance as of late, and figures he'd get the problem fixed asap. If thats the case, I don't really understand why we didn't do this sooner but maybe thats just because Williams thought he COULD have used him to give guys breathers, but nothing more. Hopefully Godfrey can step up and get it done.

LM shined in 05 when our secondary was on par as opposed to last year when our defense was exposed every week. After all the injuries and the failed AA experiment...the coaches having seperate meetings...we needed our LB's to make plays not having plays made for them from good coverage as in 05. I think it was masked in other words...That's my take I can lay this out better if anyone needs a better grasp of what I am trying to say.

I liked Marshall but hell he was an undersized MLB and maybe his shoulder is still not 100%...something is different in the way he attacks thats for sure.

I'm not angry, really...just shocked.

Of course knowledge of the system is important, but even more so, I think the shock is that this comes at a time when one of our starters (Washington) is injured. Just seems like bad timing if nothing else.

Then again, maybe Williams just didn't think that Marshall is worthy to start in his D with his performance as of late, and figures he'd get the problem fixed asap. If thats the case, I don't really understand why we didn't do this sooner but maybe thats just because Williams thought he COULD have used him to give guys breathers, but nothing more. Hopefully Godfrey can step up and get it done.

I understand where you are coming from. My knee-jerk reaction was surprise. But when I thought about it even briefly, it made sense.

It's kind of like the decision to draft Landry and some young LBs. Not picking a DE/DT didn't make sense to me until I went back and looked closely at the D late last year. So many times (particularly against the Giants), the D-line did a great job with their assignments, a LB or S was put in the perfect position to make a tackle for a loss or short gain, and he whiffed the tackle, resulting in a big play. (A similar play happened against the Steelers, when Springs was in the perfect position to stop Santonio Holmes short of the first down.) The point of my question was to get people to think past the knee-jerk reaction and ask themselves if they really should be defending Marshall blindly.

On the timing, I think another poster hit the nail on the head--Williams gave him 2 preseason games to prove himself. He couldn't.

As a general note, I think Williams's style of attacking D leaves little room for error in 1-on-1 matchups past the first level, particularly on the edges and in the open field. As a result, good tackling is absolutely critical. If we had cut our missed tackles in half in that Giants game, we would have won.

Vernon Fox was a horrid tackler at times last season, and I think he is in jeopardy of getting cut, too.

Godfrey's stats:

Player Profile · Situational Stats · Game Log · Other ILB · SD Roster Track This Player

Key Stats

GP Tot Tckl Sacks Int TDs FF

13 57 4 0 0 2

SPORTSLINE PLAYER RANKINGS

Pos Rank Pts

Linebackers 182 -84.62

Complete Rankings

Fantasy Points by Week

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Player News

With Marcus Washington nursing an elbow injury, the Redskins signed veteran linebacker Randall Godfrey on Tuesday and surprisingly released linebacker Lemar Marshall. Godfrey has played for Dallas, Tennessee, Seattle and San Diego over 11 NFL seasons. He spent the last three years with the Chargers, who opted to not re-sign him this offseason after calf and hamstring injuries hampered him late in 2006. He will be reunited in Washington with assistant coach Gregg Williams, who was Tennessee's defensive coordinator when Godfrey played with in the Titans in 2000. Marshall signed with the Redskins in 2001 and worked his way into a starting role in 2004. He lost his starting job when London Fletcher signed as a free agent this offseason but had been expected to remain on the team as a reserve.

(Updated 08/21/2007).

Injury Report

No information available at this time (Updated 8/21/07).

Fantasy Analysis

Godfrey will provide depth at linebacker for the Redskins and shouldn't be considered for Fantasy play unless he finds starting time.

(Updated 08/21/2007).

LAST THREE GAMES

Date Opp. TD Sacks Int FF

12/24 SEA 0 0 0 0

12/31 ARI 0 0 0 0

01/14 NE 0 0 0 0

Defensive Stats

Year Team G Total Tkl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def

1996 Dallas Cowboys 16 34 31.0 3 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 1

1997 Dallas Cowboys 16 98 67.0 31 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 4

1998 Dallas Cowboys 16 90 74.0 16 3 1 0 0.0 0 0 1

1999 Dallas Cowboys 16 98 83.0 15 1 1 10 10.0 10 0 2

2000 Tennessee Titans 16 118 96.0 22 3 2 25 12.5 24 1 6

2001 Tennessee Titans 14 77 61.0 16 1 1 5 5.0 5 0 2

2002 Tennessee Titans 8 32 25.0 7 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 1

2003 Seattle Seahawks 15 58 44.0 14 0 1 7 7.0 7 0 3

2004 San Diego Chargers 15 84 65.0 19 2 0 0 0.0 0 0 2

2005 San Diego Chargers 14 76 55.0 21 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 3

2006 San Diego Chargers 13 57 41.0 16 4 0 0 0.0 0 0 2

TOTAL 159 822 642.0 180 17 6 47 7.8 24 1 27

Fumbles

Year Team

a productive player throughout his career and last year as well.

I absolutely love the Godfrey signing even at the expense of Marshall. As other posters have said Blades is the real deal. I was praying we would draft the guy even earlier. Godfrey is one of those players like Fletcher who has a nose for the ball. He always makes sure tackles and makes his teammates better. Yes he's old but who cares if he can give us this year. Marshall was never going to be starter again with the way our team is set up. Always go with the better talent in that situation. Godfrey > Marshall

I think some of this might have been to shave off a little more cap room. Marshall was not highly paid but he was in his final contract year. Godfrey thought his career was over and is just glad to play so he no doubt took vet min.

I still don't like this though, we'll see how it goes.

As a general note, I think Williams's style of attacking D leaves little room for error in 1-on-1 matchups past the first level, particularly on the edges and in the open field. As a result, good tackling is absolutely critical. If we had cut our missed tackles in half in that Giants game, we would have won.

Vernon Fox was a horrid tackler at times last season, and I think he is in jeopardy of getting cut, too.

totally, totally true.

I think Vernon Fox has gotten a pass because they like him on special teams, but he was a horrific tackler on defense last year. I know everyone disliked AA, but the run D got worse when he was benched.

I don't understand why everyone here who was upset about how bad our defense was last year are now upset that the team is doing something about it.

totally, totally true.

I think Vernon Fox has gotten a pass because they like him on special teams, but he was a horrific tackler on defense last year. I know everyone disliked AA, but the run D got worse when he was benched.

I don't understand why everyone here who was upset about how bad our defense was last year are now upset that the team is doing something about it.

Fox got an interception though, that's probably why we extended him. When it happened, I looked on in total disbeleif. "We can't do that, can we?" :laugh: I'm glad I found the time to go to that game against Carolina, we actually had a D.

Wasn't Marshall on teams too, and if he wasn't he could have been. He was very fast, especially for a LB and he could hit. Yes, he did miss takles and those misses seemed to be piling up the last season or so, but he was still very useful.

Another thought that I've had, is while Rocky has looked AWESOME in the preseason, I'm still a little worried about him playing for a full season, and having Marshall as a backup was a really strong point in my opinion.

I still just can't come to understand this move.

The hole defence was bad last year not just Marshall. I do think his release has to do with his $ and the play of Blades.

marshall struggled last year with tackling and shedding blocks. he was much better in 05 when our defense as a whole was playing better, but he probably feels he can be a starter somewhere else. i mean, he couldnt have been too happy when we signed a MLB in free agency, promoted a draft pick to a starter, then drafted 2 linebackers.

and whoever said he goes to the giants, most likely correct.

Archived