Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RUMOR: Skins talking Brunell trade with Falcons

DrBoogerLips

1. I NEVER care about the third QB. If it gets to that point, it probably doesn't matter anyway. Not many teams can lose their #1 and #2 QB's and make a season out of it.

So, keeping Brunell for "depth" is meaningless to me.

2. A 5th or even 6th round pick isn't "garbage." Yes, the Redskins often turn it into garbage, but getting a 5th or 6th for your third QB is a pretty solid deal-- especially if he's old and has a hefty contract.

3. In contrast to points #1 and #2, Brunell IS a good mentor for JC and has always been a stand-up guy/competitor since joining the team. I wouldn't "throw him away" for nothing.

In summary, if Atlanta offers a 5th or a 6th, I take it. If all they offer is a 7th or roster fodder, I pass.

:cheers:

Only way this should even be on the Skins radar is if Atlanta is making an offer we can't refuse; next year's first ... Jamaal Anderson and a 3rd ... like that. Not likely to happen. :)

MB isn't a 16 or even 8 game starter any more--his body just can't do it. But he's gold as a vet backup to a young guy like JC. If Todd was a more proven commodity with starting experience, maybe you roll the dice, but given he hasn't played meaningful ball in this century, the smart play seems to be to keep the old 8 car around.

Okay, I've thought it through. Brunell is useless in the Saunders scheme. Weak-armed Collins is a better option.

I'd take a seventh-round pick in the next draft, but that's negotiable. A 7th in 2030 is as low as I'd go. I have my pride.

Unlike you, I hope that the Redskins don't let their pride stand in the way of dumping Brunell and his salary cap number. It's almost irrelevant what we get in return because Brunell is done, done, done, I tell you!

This trade makes sense because Brunell is done, Collins is going to be the backup and I'm assuming that Palmer is better than they thought, so they probably don't want to risk losing him by putting him on the practice squad.

A few points. Firstly TC is looking better than MB. If we are going to keep TC on the roster at all it should be at #2 with a young guy at #3. No point having two old guys as #2 and #3 or we will be in this backup quagmire next year. And the year after.

That being said we don't have to help out the Falcons so we need something of value in return. I would suggest a 5th at worst or a decent player we get to choose. We can keep Brunell no problem so we have to benefit like Atlanta would if there's any trade.

Also, are the Falcons really "desperate" at this point. I didn't like their team WITH Michael Vick, so I sure as heck don't like it with Harrington and Redman. But do you really think Arthur Blank or anyone in the Falcons FO is thinking that Mark Brunell could be the difference for them this year?

Harrington is going to start there no matter what. If the Falcons want a vet as a backup that badly, there will be some journeyman out there soon enough.

I got a 3rd, a 5th and a 6th on Madden when I traded Brunell to Atlanta, so we can use that as a guideline.

All joking aside, any 2nd day pick would be well worth it for a quality noodle arm.

You see that's why I have given up on Madden, three years without it, now NCAA football is another story.

To stay on topic, ANYTHING for Mark Brunell is exceptable, a freakin' bag of Fritos would be fine with me. Throw in some homemade chili and you got yourself one servicable third string QB.

I don't know. In spite of all the blind hatred of Brunell on this board, he's ideally suited as a backup and mentor to Jason Campbell.

I think it's gone beyond the hatred. Just the simple fact that he cannot run a play for positive yardage is enough to convince me. I gave him a pass against Tennesee, but Pittsburgh sealed it.

keep him. he's worth more to this team than a 7th rounder. he's a teacher and mentor to jc.

that being said, i pray he never takes another meaningful regular season snap for the skins. Prof. Dumpoff should never see the field in a close game.

He won't wanna stay if he's #3. Bank on it. If Gibbs sees a 6th or 7th, it will give us the full complement of seven picks for the first time in a long time.

As a starter? I agree. The pounding of a long season takes its toll on him physically and his play deteriorates as a result. Also, I think the loss of the great mobility he had earlier in his career has hurt his overall play.

As a backup? I disagree. I think he's well suited to be a backup at this point in his career, with spot starts should Campbell be unable to go due to injury. He plays not to make mistakes, which is pretty much all you want a backup to do. He's got years and years of pressure game experience, so his sphincter won't pucker up if he gets that sudden call from the sidelines. He's got a level-headed disposition, which Jason Campbell would do well to learn from. And by all accounts, he's forged a great relationship with Campbell, which shouldn't be underestimated at this early stage of Campbell's career.

3 plays in Brunell's repretoire:

Pass out of bounds

dumpoff

Curl up in the fetal position and take a sack

I wouldn't trust him for 1 series.

People say Collins hasn't thrown a pass in 10 years, meaning he has the body of a 27 year old. No wear and tear. Brunell is worn and torn.

Archived