Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RUMOR: Skins talking Brunell trade with Falcons

DrBoogerLips

Maybe we should do a 3 way deal that involves Detroit...Brunell to Atlanta, Ducket back to Washington, Detroit gets a Falcon draft pick...lol

why would we want Duckett? Didnt you see him fumble on the 1 yard line going in for a td last week? Say no to TJ Duckettstain.

I used to support Brunell, including last year, but he's just done. His career is over.

As a starter? I agree. The pounding of a long season takes its toll on him physically and his play deteriorates as a result. Also, I think the loss of the great mobility he had earlier in his career has hurt his overall play.

As a backup? I disagree. I think he's well suited to be a backup at this point in his career, with spot starts should Campbell be unable to go due to injury. He plays not to make mistakes, which is pretty much all you want a backup to do. He's got years and years of pressure game experience, so his sphincter won't pucker up if he gets that sudden call from the sidelines. He's got a level-headed disposition, which Jason Campbell would do well to learn from. And by all accounts, he's forged a great relationship with Campbell, which shouldn't be underestimated at this early stage of Campbell's career.

The only way the trade makes sense is if the falcons send us a GOOD guard.

The way I see it, Campbell won't make it to the bye week with the current rubbish we have on our roster. Without a good LG, we are going to go through backup QBs like a hot lightsaber through melted butter on the surface of the sun. If we can get a starting-caliber guard, then this deal is a no-brainer.

However, If ATL is only offering low-round draft picks, then we need to stay away from them... we would just be trading a solid Backup QB in a make-or-break year for Joe Gibbs for some player who probably wont even make our 2008 practice squad. It would just be stoopid.

Our o-line is that bad. We only had 1 sack on the 1st string. QB gets hit in almost every play, get over it. The pats line was totally dominated by the titans. Brady fumbled 1, threw 2 picks, and got sacked 3 times. So that shows that the titans line is actually very good.

The only way the trade makes sense is if the falcons send us a GOOD guard.

[...]

However, If ATL is only offering low-round draft picks, then we need to stay away from them... we would just be trading a solid Backup QB in a make-or-break year for Joe Gibbs for some player who probably wont even make our 2008 practice squad. It would just be stoopid.

You're giving Mark too much value here. He's a 37 yr old vet with a long list of health issues.

Trent Green was traded for a 5th round pick.

In terms of trade value, Brunell is like that second car with 185,000 miles on it. It's beat up, lots of stuff on it doesn't work, but it still gets you from point A to point B. It won't bring you jacksheet in trade, but it still has value to you because it runs, warts and all.

I think Brunell is a good guy to have on the bench and to mentor JC when times are rough. That said, if we could get a decent guard for him, or even a 5th round pick, I'd do it.

6th or 7th, given our draft history probably would be a waste of time. It would be better to keep Brunell in that case.

I think this deal could happen.

Gibbs has a ton of respect for MB, thus would be doing him a favor by giving him a legitimate opportunity to start in an offense he knows.

I also think the 3rd round guess is legitimate. The Falcons are desperate and poised to overpay for something they want. However, there is always posturing in these scenarios, and the 'Skins position may be weakened if Atlanta is privy to how willing Gibbs may be to do favor for MB...:2cents:

If this deal were to happen, I would look for the Skins to make a move for one of Atlanta's WRs. While their WRs are below average as starters, they have some young guys who have good size(6'1" - 6'3") and speed, that could prove to be very helpful in the passing game as #3 or 4 WRs ... especially now with Espy out. Someone said something about us trading for one of their guards, but I don't think that's a good idea, they wouldn't have time to gain chemistry with the team. It's too late to add a new starting G to the line, would be a step backward imo.

Archived