Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ex-Barnstormer Injured As Batter Charges Mound Swinging Bat

AsburySkinsFan

Wow, can't have this stuff going on, crayzee.

13900724_240X180.jpg

http://www.wgal.com/sports/13900810/detail.html

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. -- It was a wild night Tuesday in a minor league baseball game in Bridgeport, Conn.

After hitting a home run in the first inning of the Atlantic League game between the Bridgeport Bluefish and the Long Island Ducks, former major league all-star player Jose Offerman was hit by a pitch in the second. He stormed the mound, swinging his bat.

Bridgeport catcher, John Nathans, who played for the Lancaster Barnstormers in 2005, chased Offerman. Nathans suffered a concussion as he fought off the enraged hitter.

The Bridgeport pitcher, Matt Beech, suffered a broken finger on his non-throwing hand during the attack.

"He got out to the mound before we could," said Bluefish pitcher Mike Porzio. "And luckily enough for Matt Beech, he was agile enough to dodge a bat. But it may have only been by John Nathans taking one of the back swing in the head that saved Matt Beech from taking one in the face."

Nathans attempted to continue playing, but left the game with nausea. He collapsed in the dugout.

Offerman is now charged with two counts of second-degree assault. Police arrested him immediately after the game.

Offerman has also been suspended indefinitely.

The owner of the Bluefish said she's never seen anything like it.

"He was apparently so angry that in his swing he hit both our pitcher and our catcher. And our catcher is now, you know, has a concussion and is on his way to the hospital. I've never seen anything like that in baseball," said Bluefish CEO Mary Jane Foster.

Offerman was released on $10,000 bond.

I hope he goes to jail. Assault with a deadly weapon. Granted the pitcher deserves some kind of penalty for throwing the ball at him, but you don't go swinging bats at people. What a role model for the youngsters.

Plunking a hitter is part of the game; albeit not a part that I like at all, and as a result charging the mound will follow; again not a part that I like, but man...leave the dang bat.

How about... if you plunk a hitter with the ball... the pitcher has to stand 40 feet away totally still... and the hitter has 1 ball to throw back at him and square him. And everybody is happy :)

Nah, just wait until the pitcher comes up to bat, not sure what they'd do in the American league. Maybe do away with that un-American, terroristic threat that is the DH rule!

The pitch was not intentional because the pitch that he got hit was a slider. So I don't know why Offerman got pissed. He should go to jail, and hopefully he won't be able to return to the Majors again after this incident.

One of the managers called into ESPN yesterday and said it was a slider that hit him in the calf. It was a pure accident, part of the game.

Maybe next year Jose will be playing in the Connecticut Penal League.

I was actually at this game...but unfortunately was in the souveneir shop when the incident happened.

In today's local paper, Jose says he has witnesses who will testify that he never hit anyone with the bat :).

...oh okay, the pitcher has a broken finger and the catcher is puking after getting whacked in the head....not to mention there is about 50 pictures of the incident...and 4,000 people watching everything go down...

I was actually at this game...but unfortunately was in the souveneir shop when the incident happened.

In today's local paper, Jose says he has witnesses who will testify that he never hit anyone with the bat :).

...oh okay, the pitcher has a broken finger and the catcher is puking after getting whacked in the head....not to mention there is about 50 pictures of the incident...and 4,000 people watching everything go down...

And Mike Vick told Roger Goodell has had nothing at all to do with the dog-fighting allegations.... months before he's about to plea bargain :laugh:

I don't think I'd ever give professional athletes the benefit of the doubt. Not any more.

Archived