Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ryan Clark vs LaRon Landry

emor09

ok, last offseason we screwed up with Adam Archuleta. But a lot of people were pumped that he was coming here, then when he sucked EVERYONE said "i knew we should have kept Ryan Clark".

So what i want to know is, do you think Landry will be better than Clark was?

I dont want Landry to be a bust (knock on wood) and everyone comes back and says "We shoulda kept Clark!" or Landry to be a star and everyone say "Ryan who?"

i think Landry will be better....what do you think?

Ryan Clark is an undersized overachiever.

He was a pleasant surprise, coming to the Skins from the Giants as a street free agent, who quickly learned the system and gave 110% on the field.

But let's not confuse the talent.

Landry has the physical size, speed and cover ability to be a top safety in the NFL.

Of course the Redskins had to pay a high price for that talent.

And it is the price paid that will be the interesting factor to consider in years to come.

What seems to be coming to the surface from the early indications, is that even though Landry and Taylor both have dynamite raw skills it is LANDRY who is coming into the league as the more emotionally mature and prepared player.

Landry should be better than Clark, I think Archuleta was such a bad fit that a lot of us remember Clark being better than what he really was. The only reason I personally wanted Clark back was because of the chemistry with Sean Taylor it made ST play better. I think thats back with the arrival of Landry and Landry should be able to do more than hold his own on his side.

It's not as simple as 1:1 though. Clark was a good fit with good chemistry and was good at coordinating and analyzing the plays, plus he would have been a lot cheaper than either AA or LL. That savings in money could have manifested itself in a better upgrade or two along the defensive line or filled a different need instead of reinventing the wheel or patching a strength versus a hole.

I hope Landry is great, but right now he is still pastry.

People were quick to forget the missed tackles or blown end-zone coverages that were all too frequent with Ryan Clark. He wasn't a threat against the run and he wasn't particularly athletic. He overachieved in one season here and found himself benched in Pittsburgh soon after signing a contract of starter's money.

Laron Landry has all of the potential to be the best at his position, in terms of size, speed, strength, work ethic, etc. etc. He is a hard-hitting force against the run, will intimidate receivers going over the middle, and has the speed and coverage ability to play center field (something he will get much better at as he learns the pro-style system and gets used to the speed of NFL players).

In time, maybe not this season, but in 2008, 2009, and the next 6 years after that, it is very probable that we will have the best safety tandem in the league. Two safeties that are built like linebackers but can cover like corners, two safeties that make highlight-reel hits, two safeties that can play both the run and the pass with the best of them. We will be the only team in the league with two safeties of such quality, and this in turn will allow Gregg Williams to do things that no other defense in the league can do.

We aren't quite there yet, but with a few more pieces to the puzzle, we could very well be a Superbowl bound team sooner than you think

ok, last offseason we screwed up with Adam Archuleta. But a lot of people were pumped that he was coming here, then when he sucked EVERYONE said "i knew we should have kept Ryan Clark".

So what i want to know is, do you think Landry will be better than Clark was?

I dont want Landry to be a bust (knock on wood) and everyone comes back and says "We shoulda kept Clark!" or Landry to be a star and everyone say "Ryan who?"

i think Landry will be better....what do you think?

Landry has much more potential than Clark -- besides we have a Ryan Clark type of guy in Pierson Prileou who will be getting alot of playing time this season.

Laron Landry is supposed to be better than Dawan Landry, who plays for the Ravens. Yes, Ravens, the team with last year's number one defense. In fact, their dad has said that Laron Landry is a better athlete of the two brothers. Dawan had 5 ints last year, and 3 sacks. Dawan is a good safety. To compare, Sean Taylor last year had 1 int and 0(yes, ZERO) sacks last year. To be fair, Sean Taylor has more sacks than Dawan. But let's face one thing: Redskins last year were no Ravens. Laron Landry can, IMO, potentially be a better player than Sean Taylor. He is this year's best defensive player, according to many analysts. Greg Williams, from what I hear, is already thinking of starting Laron Landry from the get-go. GW, as we know, doesn't like to start rookies. It's clear to me that he sees somethign in Laron. IMHO, Laron and Sean Taylor will be the best safety tandem in the league, period.

Who in his right mind would compare Laron Landry to Ryan Clark????

i think you may have said something that everyone on this board would agree with.

Huh? I don't agree with it. He didn't want to stay here and we got a great runningback out of the trade? I liked Bailey, but the trade was good.

He would have stayed if we gave him his money...

ill wiegh in the options...

#1 corner in the league or a good rb that is injury prone, while we have a very capable backup

im thinkin the #1 corner in the league

Injury prone? You must be mislead son. He was hurt once in Highschool and was not hurt in collage, and was not hurt in the NFL untill last year. You need to know your facts.

Archived