Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buying American, is it over?

Koolblue13

You shouldn't, that's the point. The problem is, in today's world, you WILL NOT get the same patriotic respect back from the American company when you give it to them. Instead, they will use it to rape you. I have nothing against buying American, nothing at all. I just believe they should have to earn that purchase by making a product that stacks up. I don't think that's unreasonable or bad for our economy. All I'm asking is that American companies hold the same product standards as the competition instead of using patriotism as a crutch and a way to get one over on their own countrymen. I don't think you're helping ANYONE, let alone yourself, when you allow them to do that and essentially condone and reaffirm it.

Well how do you keep manufacturing jobs here when it costs 1/5 in labor to do it overseas?

Detroit is already in enough trouble and can barely make ends meet. If you are willing to have a massive corporate tax cut in America, you will see jobs flood back here

Wouldn't labor overseas still be 20% of what it is here? Not sure how that would fix anything. It tax cuts were tied to increased real wages for workers, more factories opening at home and preventing companies from incorporating in Bermuda, it might help. Otherwise, it sounds like corporate welfare.

Also, if corporations have the same rights as citizens, shouldn't they have the same tax rate? Can't have it both ways...

I would love to see some competitor to Wal-Mart popup that ONLY sells US products. The difference in most small consumer products would be pennies. Maybe this would be something patriotic that Americans could do for ourselves...Buy one less cheap plastic piece of crap from China per shopping trip and the difference is made up.

The only way we're going to fix these issues is for the government and the companies to get together, work out a way to remove the problems created by the Unions, and then create a truly isolationist economy here in the United States. Until we do that, I truly believe that we're going to get deeper and deeper into trouble economically here in the United States.

You just described the German economy of the 1930s, which most historians now understand was a total disaster. (It looked good on paper at the time, because the german economy barely existed as of 1928. But it was not a sustainable model).

I'm an economic isolationist. I believe in buying as many things as possible from companies that are not only based here, but that make their products here as well. It's not always easy and at times it means I pay more money or get an inferior product, but I believe it's the proper thing for a patriotic American citizen to do.

I'll ask you something... Why not only buy things made in Massachusetts (or whatever your homestate)? Why not only buy things made in your hometown? Hell, why buy anything at all? That way you get to hold onto all your dollars.

Economics should never be about nationalism, but all about individualism. If *I'm* better off buying a TV from Korea because it's cheaper and of better quality, then I should. The cumulative effect of millions of like-minded decisions, each doing what is best for the individual, is what strengthens the economy.

Businesses that outsource make themselves stronger and more financially secure, so they can grow and hire more people. This is just basic economics.

Did you see #2.

Toyata is more American built then any other car besides Ford.

So if you are deciding between a GM and a Toyata and say "I want to buy american" you should buy the toyata.

Actually, it's just the F150 that's #1.

I try to buy American as often as possible. My truck, obviously. Tools, as has already been mentioned. I don't necessarily always LOOK for the "Made In America" label, but when I see it, I'll usually buy it. Unless the price and quality is grossly out of line. I won't buy a pile of **** just because it was made here. But all ties, and most "close enoughs" go to the USA label.

I'll ask you something... Why not only buy things made in Massachusetts (or whatever your homestate)? Why not only buy things made in your hometown? Hell, why buy anything at all? That way you get to hold onto all your dollars.

That's pretty much beyond ridiculous, as you know, so I'm not even going to honor it with much of a response. What you're discussing is nowhere near what I am suggesting. Our loyalty should be to the country, not an individual state or city.

Economics should never be about nationalism, but all about individualism. If *I'm* better off buying a TV from Korea because it's cheaper and of better quality, then I should. The cumulative effect of millions of like-minded decisions, each doing what is best for the individual, is what strengthens the economy.

I totally disagree. Everything is about nationalism so far as I am concerned. I just don't see how American companies and the American economy are strengthened by ANYONE buying foreign products.

Businesses that outsource make themselves stronger and more financially secure, so they can grow and hire more people. This is just basic economics.

Companies that do business outside the US also strengthen the economies of our enemies. THAT, in and of itself, is enough for me to disagree with the concept.

That's pretty much beyond ridiculous, as you know, so I'm not even going to honor it with much of a response. What you're discussing is nowhere near what I am suggesting. Our loyalty should be to the country, not an individual state or city.

I'm just taking your argument that geography should take precedence over personal gain when considering economic transactions to its logical conclusion. Reductio ad Absurdum. If you agree that it's ridiculous, then you have to agree your premise was also ridiculous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum

I totally disagree. Everything is about nationalism so far as I am concerned. I just don't see how American companies and the American economy are strengthened by ANYONE buying foreign products.

Companies that do business outside the US also strengthen the economies of our enemies. THAT, in and of itself, is enough for me to disagree with the concept.

People don't fight with their customers.

I'm just taking your argument that geography should take precedence over personal gain when considering economic transactions to its logical conclusion. Reductio ad Absurdum. If you agree that it's ridiculous, then you have to agree your premise was also ridiculous.

Not at all. I am a citizen of the United States. I happen to have been BORN in Connecticut and LIVED in the States of Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts over the years. My loyalty is not to the states, it is to the COUNTRY. The states do not have their own economies. They are part of the economy of the United States. Unfortunately the US is currently part of the world economy at this time. The state economies cannot be separated from the US economy. The US economy COULD be separated from the world economy.

People don't fight with their customers.

By providing monies, jobs, and products to enemy countries (ie... anyone other than the US) they are essentially fighting on the side of our enemies, so far as I am concerned. The same way that any American citizen who leaves this country is supporting our enemies in my mind.

Um, Mass, not every other country is an enemy. I think free trade is good. A good summary: http://www.freetrade.org/node/82 And even without the economic benefits, the money quote:

People should have the right to exchange the sweat of their brows, the products of their hands and their minds, with whomever they wish. I should be free to trade with my corner dry cleaner, a Balinese shirt maker, a Cuban cigar roller, a Japanese lap-top manufacturer. The right to trade is, I believe, one of our inalienable rights, along with life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness that the Declaration of Independence talks about. The government should be able to get between me and the person I want to trade with only if that trade threatens the interest of national security--if we are at war, or close to it.

One piece on the deficit: http://www.cato.org/dailys/02-21-01.html

Not at all. I am a citizen of the United States. I happen to have been BORN in Connecticut and LIVED in the States of Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts over the years. My loyalty is not to the states, it is to the COUNTRY. The states do not have their own economies. They are part of the economy of the United States. Unfortunately the US is currently part of the world economy at this time. The state economies cannot be separated from the US economy. The US economy COULD be separated from the world economy.

I'm tempted to say, you're just not getting it.

So... we should cut off all oil imports?

YES, and at the same time we should be drilling for it everywhere it's found INSIDE the United States. If/when we find ourselves in a situation of needing more (after reductions in usage) we use the US Military to procure the property (most likely Canada and Mexico) that we need to deal with the issue.

Archived