Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I've entered manhood. First weapon fired.

Art

In my life I've never had the opportunity to shoot a gun despite having a country family with plenty of guns, and a druggie cousin with an arsenal. Just never had the opportunity to hold or fire a weapon. This trip up, I was at the hunting camp with the druggie cousin who was busy freebasing and, given his history, I felt it was appropriate for me to possess the weapon when he decided it would be super fun to shoot one together. This cousin had previously accidentally shot another cousin in the face with a shotgun years ago in a drugged out night, so, once the conversation turned to guns, I figured I'd better learn quick and make sure he didn't have it :).

Anyway, he set up the target and I shot a 9MM 12 times, hitting a tire rim 10 times from about 20 feet, which, I don't know whether that's good or horrible, but, I felt like it was good. It's actually quite a lot of fun to shoot, to my surprise.

He's so excited about my breaking of my gun cherry, he is dying to run to the camp next year to shoot his newest prized possession -- an ARS fully automatic machine gun. So, army boys and those who've had a chance to shoot something like that, should I avoid this cousin next year, or go out and shoot up some stuff?

Congrats Art!

I'm hoping to pop mine soon. I actually just moved to Vegas for a new job and there are a group of engineers in my group that shoot every weekend. I think i am going to take them up on shooting one weekend because these guys are like the resident militia! :)

I mean, were talking AKs here...crazy stuff. Not sure that should be the first gun I fire though.

I say enjoy yourself but don't get carried away. I first fired a gun at shooting range bout half a year ago, .22 and a .45. What I noticed is liked the power of a gun a little more then I should imo. Haven't fired one since, and the shooting range, right down the street from my house, burned to the ground a couple months ago.

The first gun I ever fired was a .22 when I was around 10 or something.

The first gun my girlfriend ever fired was a real M16 in the dark with night vision goggles and a laser sight in an indoor firing range on a military base. At least I also got to fire since I was there lol.

Yeah, Ken, I can tell you safely after my first shot whiffed the target, you should start with something smaller than an AK. Though, if you can't hit a target at least a few times spitting out 20 rounds in a second, there's something wrong with you :).

As for shooting the bigger gun, I agree with those here suggesting it would be better to do it on a sober day. Renegade, the gun I shot didn't have a ton of power. Felt almost fake. I may try a more powerful handgun just to see the comparison feel before graduating to the longer guns. I won't get carried away, given I can only do it when I go to the family once a year and I probably will only do it if I get my cousin a LITTLE less tweaked.

Art,

Not sure what an ARS is, but I know what an AR-15 is, and that's not a very fun gun to shoot IMO. Discontinued in late 1980's. It's a glorified .22 cailber. Nothing special.

Go shotgun with 3" slug rounds.;).

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=1&section=products

Something like that would suffice. If you could somehow get your hands on this, then you'd really be special: browning cynergy

*edit: Do not shoot the above weapons anywhere near, around, in the same zip code as a drugged out person. Especially with 3" slug round. Seriously, it'll cut you in half.

That's not bad shooting with a handgun for the first time. Shooting can be a lot of fun, and both invigorating or relaxing--you get to make it either way. Its very cool thinkng of you just starting and all the differences you get to experience for the first time.

I'd probably put some different firearms--some variety of calibres, types (revolvers, rifles), makes (diffs between a 22mag and a 380, a 9mm Sig vs a 9mm Glock vs a pocket-size Karr 9 mm, a Colt Python 357 mag and a Ruger GP100 357 mag etc.) and models--in your path (and different ammo) before your first fully automatic assault rifle or machine gun shoot.

I just like working up to the thrill of a real machine gun. :D

Have fun. Be safe.

illone,

He called it an ARS. I did a google and came up with this:

http://www.cruffler.com/review-STG58C-reprise.html

That does appear to be the gun I saw, but, I don't know anything about guns :).

Family on mother's side is all Austrian and that gun is family. :)

But there will be various versions of that basic weapon.

Here is some addtional annd useful info from that same website on the FAL:

http://www.cruffler.com/review-february-00.html

The name given the FAL version made by Steyr for the Bundesheer, "Sturmgewehr", was also the name for the original MP-44 that was the forerunner of the SKS and all modern assualt rifles.

800px-Sturmgewehr_44.jpg

When the Nazis started deploying them on the Eastern front their impact was substantial. But, to my limited understanding, it was like the jet fighter designs of Germany--groundbreaking but too little too late to decide the war.

Anything you ever see with the name Steyr on it is worth having.

Now, the only FAL I have ever shot was in Tom Clancy Raven's Shield which is one of the few video games I have ever played :laugh:

But it's the best rifle in the arsenal if length is not an issue :)

I love sport shooting, and I wish I got to do it more often, and congrats on taking your first shots. As for your cousin, I'd make darn sure that he's clean and sober, the last thing you want is someone who is somehow under the influence handling any sort of firearm. If there is any doubt, then avoid the trip, because you don't want to be in that news article for that reason. There are plenty of other opportunities to excercise your 2nd Amendment right.

Asbury, I love the new sig but I hope it doesn't call too much attention to the um..."people" in the stadium and let them know what a great place we have here ;)

But then that's why we carry these.

bat.jpg

Do you wear your collar when you go shooting? That'd be a pretty awesome sight :)

Nah, no collar, but then I don't even own one of those (yet); maybe I can get Cabellas to make one! LOL I have however, been referred to as a "pistol packin' preacher", even though I don't own a pistol. I prefer rifles and shotguns personally, because for me pistols aren't good for hunting although I know some hunters who use them, but to me they are simply not accurate enough at range to ensure a clean shot.

Art,

Slackin' on your pimpin'? Turn it up.

You just now shooting? Finally, something to beat my chest about. And I deadeyed a HK USP .45 cal that someone let me shoot at the range.

I can't wait until I get to Iowa where they just let you shoot into any direction towards the horizon, except Johnson County where I'll be and where apparently they frown upon exercise of my right to self-defense...*growls*

Personally, I found it to be one of the most stress relieving things that I do.

And at this point in my life I have zero stress.

Yet, I still enjoy going out and learning my weapons. I have never shot a fully automatic weapon, and it would be a treat. But I thought fully auto weapons were illegal.

Congrats on breaking that cherry.

I have never shot a fully automatic weapon, and it would be a treat.

Here's the list of autos that I've fired, they were both my Uncle Sam's. ;)

image003.jpg

and

M60.jpg

I had the distinct opportunity to crawl through barbed-wire under 4 M60's firing live ammunition during a night fire exercise. That was a trip. Especially when the artillary simulators went off right by my head.

BTW, they look really cool sending tracers down-range.

I still have yet to shoot a gun but I've always wanted to and have been recently looking into purchasing my first one. I've been looking into the Mossberg 500 series, I prefer the 8 shot with the pistol grip, and I've been told it's a great value, very reliable and fun to shoot. Any gun experts here have any experience with one?

14_mossberg-500.gif

Archived