Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The end for McCain?

Kilmer17

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8Q4IEPG0&show_article=1

John McCain's campaign, trailing top Republican rivals in money and polls, is undergoing a significant reorganization with staff cuts in every department, officials with knowledge of the shake-up said Monday.

Some 50 staffers or more are being let go, and senior aides will be subject to pay cuts as the Arizona senator's campaign bows to the reality of six months of subpar fundraising, these officials said.

They spoke on the condition of anonymity because the plans have not been made public. An afternoon conference call was scheduled to announce the results of second-quarter fundraising.

Once considered the front-runner for the GOP nomination, McCain came in third in the money chase behind Mitt Romney and Rudy Giuliani, raising $13.6 million in the first three months of the year. He is struggling to reach that total in the second financial quarter.

Crazy. If things dont change soon (ie by fall) I dont even see him lasting til the first primaries.

I hear alot that he isnt getting $ because he pissed off so many in the GOP, but I would think Rudy would have even more of a problem.

I'm kind of curious why the base would choose a pro gay rights/pro abortion candidate over McCain. Seems like murdering babies is a little worse than compromising with Democrats on immigration or campaign finance reform.

Part of the reason McCain is taking a much heavier hit for his inadequacies over Guiliani has to do with the War on Terror and the Illegal Immigration issues. I get the feeling those are the biggest things on the minds of most Republicans and McCain is VERY WEAK on both of those issues, whereas Guiliani is at least a little more in line with the Republican base on them.

I'm kind of curious why the base would choose a pro gay rights/pro abortion candidate over McCain. Seems like murdering babies is a little worse than compromising with Democrats on immigration or campaign finance reform.

Yeah, I cant figure it out either.

Im sure there are some people who arent giving him money because they dont think he can win the General Election, but I dont think it's that many.

Because Giuliani could win!

McCain is now after two years of boot licking, too close to Bush for the independents and fiscal conservatives.

Since "McCain Feingold election reform law" and the Bush smear tactics of 2000 election; Mccain oddly enough repulses social conservatives, who now rule the Republican party, too. It doesn't help that McCain has been a committed social conservative throughout his political career.

He has been done for a few months now. The illegal amnesty bill was the final nail in his political coffin.

And he knows it.

If everyone in the GOP and the moderate independents would back Rudy Giuliani, the country would be more united than it has been in nearly six years. He is the one candidate who can govern from the American center- where most of us are located politically.

We don't need a far leftist or far rightist at the current time in the war on Islamic terrorism.

He has been done for a few months now. The illegal amnesty bill was the final nail in his political coffin.

And he knows it.

If everyone in the GOP and the moderate independents would back Rudy Giuliani, the country would be more united than it has been in nearly six years. He is the one candidate who can govern from the American center- where most of us are located politically.

We don't need a far leftist or far rightist at the current time in the war on Islamic terrorism.

AFC, Social conservative darlings, Brownback and Bush were both for the amnesty bill. Hell, Bush even called it an amnesty bill on the eve of the final senate vote, before Snow Job corrected him. "What the President meant was....".

I don't see the amnesty vote as being so damaging to Mccain as his waffling on torture and his insipid backing up of Bush of the last two years. With Independents and fiscal conservatives.

As for the social conservatives. They've hated him since he tried to curb the power of the churches in American elections with McCain Feingold campaign reform.

He looks old and tired too.

For me, I used to admire McCain because I felt he was truly independent of political pressure. He has shown in the last few years that this is not the case, especially on the torture issue. So now he is just another conservative guy. An old, tired one.

For the Right-wingers this election is about one thing and one thing only, and many of them have proven that they are willing to look over the major differences from the past to rally around the 9/11 flagpole.

For the Right-wingers this election is about one thing and one thing only, and many of them have proven that they are willing to look over the major differences from the past to rally around the 9/11 flagpole.

Asbury, I would suggest that it's not the 9/11 flagpole but rather something called Patriotism. You know there's a holiday somewhat related to it coming up in the next couple days, so you might be able to find out something about it. Then you could explain it to the rest of your liberal friends over a mocha-frapa-capa-whatever the hell it is you folks pay $8.50 a cup to drink in the coffee shops while you listen to some never was and never will be recite poetry.

Asbury, I would suggest that it's not the 9/11 flagpole but rather something called Patriotism. You know there's a holiday somewhat related to it coming up in the next couple days, so you might be able to find out something about it. Then you could explain it to the rest of your liberal friends over a mocha-frapa-capa-whatever the hell it is you folks pay $8.50 a cup to drink in the coffee shops while you listen to some never was and never will be recite poetry.

Quoted just because the loonacy is just too much to resist!! MSF, you are funny in a whole new way!

BTW, its not patriotism, its nationalism, and I know all about it, former vet remember.

Oh, and it don't drink mocha-frapa whatevers, I drink a Grande Double-shot Carmel cappuccino, no foam with whip, and I make it myself in my kitchen so I don't pay $8.50 per cup, oh and I don't read poetry its called psalms.

But then you go ahead and hang out with your buddies on the medieval battle field casting spells at one another, because that's so much better than hitting the Starbucks.:silly:

BTW, its not patriotism, its nationalism, and I know all about it, former vet remember.

So far as I'm concerned there's no difference between the two concepts, and I learned that from a veteran as well.

Oh, and it don't drink mocha-frapa whatevers, I drink a Grande Double-shot Carmel cappuccino, no foam with whip, and I make it myself in my kitchen so I don't pay $8.50 per cup, oh and I don't read poetry its called psalms.

Well, excuse me for not being up to date on my ridiculously long-winded ways to say "Gimme a cup of coffee." (which I don't drink anyway), regardless of where you get it. Never had much more use for the book of Psalms than I did for poetry either.

But then you go ahead and hang out with your buddies on the medieval battle field casting spells at one another, because that's so much better than hitting the Starbucks.:silly:

No spells. It's a reenactment group, not a LARP; but I'm sure you already knew that. Starbucks and these other coffee shops are the breeding ground for the same sort of stupidity that ran amuck in the 1960's. I'll take the 1060's over the 1960's any day of the week and twice on Sundays, thank you very much.

I identify for the purpose of registering to vote as a Republican, but I really consider myself an independent, and I still like McCain for a couple of reasons:

1. I used to think that Gov. make good Presidents, because they have the executive experience, but I think especially since the cold war has ended that is less important and a good understanding of how the world works is better. I think Clinton and Bush were over matched by the demands required to navigate a post-cold war world. I'll even say if you stretch back in history, I think that even holds up some pre-cold war. Reagan as govenor of CA is a little different because CA is so much more than a normal state, he had pretty extensive DIFFERENT experiences, and he had been involved at the national scale before w/ his previous run for President.

2. I consider myself more of an old fashioned fiscal conservative. I understand the concepts of supply side economics, and I give Regean a lot of the credit for turning the economy around including the boom in the 90's, but the economy is not the same as when Regean took over. Regean took over a goverment w/ very little debt (in comparision), but a country w/ double digit inflation and unemployment. I laugh when I hear people talk about what Regean would do for the economy (cut taxes is always their conclusion). Who knows, and we can't ask him, but the more I learn about Regean the more I see he was a complex individual that was not likely to be a one solution for every problem person. More than anybody else running I can say McCain will make a real effort to balance the budget w/o ripping the guts out of the goverment (which might long term be a good thing, but realistically won't get you elected and in the short term would be a mess) (e.g. Paul).

3. I'm not as against McCain-Feingold as some people. I DO think the amount of money in polotics is a problem, and while McCain-Feingold might not be the best solution it at least starts to get is moving in the right direction. I also don't think by freedom of speech that the Constitution allows you to spend as much money as you want buying advertisements that are at best misleading. Of course, I also think that "freedom of speech" means just that and not freedom of expression, and if you aren't using just your vocal cords (e.g. standing on the street corner w/ a bull horn) then you are freedom of speech doesn't necessarily cover what you are doing.

4. He won't distract us w/ nonsense issues, like an anti-gay marriage ammendment, that has no possibility of going any where.

5. I'm still not sure if I like where Guiliani stands w/ some civil liberties, but what I have heard him say about what Bush did w/ the FISA (sp ?) court, I don't like.

6. While he believes in the war, he's also been critical of the way it has been run for a while. I think he has the best hope of (partly based on his experience) of sitting down w/ military leadership and ending this thing in the best possible way (which might be picking the best of the bad options). Guiliani in comparision has no experience w/ the military or even in real military matters. Maybe he'll name some to his cabinet, but maybe he'll also ignore them the way Bush et. al. must have ignored Powell in planning the current fiasco.

7. JMS can say what he wants to about him caving on torture, but to stand up there in the debate and clearly articulate a position that is in opposition to everybody else on the stage and in opposition of what you know the vast majority of the part wants to hear still takes moral courage.

8. On most issues, I actually don't think compromise is a bad thing. Unfortunately, everybody else gets to vote, and their vote counts too (we'd be much better off if I had the only vote that mattered :)). Many times taking what you can get AND doing things legally is better than doing nothing OR pulling an end around on the law.

Part of the reason McCain is taking a much heavier hit for his inadequacies over Guiliani has to do with the War on Terror and the Illegal Immigration issues. I get the feeling those are the biggest things on the minds of most Republicans and McCain is VERY WEAK on both of those issues, whereas Guiliani is at least a little more in line with the Republican base on them.

Well, I don't know what you mean by war on terror, but nobody has been more for winning and finishing the Iraq war then McCain. As far as immigration, try actually looking up Guiliani's stance.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/rwg/html/98a/lulac.html

Please, we heard the same thing about Bush. You're going to vote for an ex-mayor, that was compared to Hitler, in hopes that he will unite us vs. a guy that has been working at the federal level for who knows the last how many years and has successfully lead multiple bills that have recieved bipartisian support through the Senate. Logic like that is why we would be better off if I had the only meaningful vote.

Well, I don't know what you mean by war on terror, but nobody has been more for winning and finishing the Iraq war then McCain. As far as immigration, try actually looking up Guiliani's stance.

I never claimed I was in support of Guiliani either. In fact I've gone out of my way to tell people there's nobody running in either party that I can even consider voting for at this point in time.

What I said is that Guiliani tends to be seen (rightly or wrongly) as being more on the correct side of those two issue than McCain is by most of the Republicans out there.

vs. a guy that has been working at the federal level for who knows the last how many years and has successfully lead multiple bills that have recieved bipartisian support through the Senate. .

That bipartisanship is part of what I think is hurting McCain. At least some of the people in the Republican party are finally wising up to the idea that there's nothing worthwhile on the other side of the aisle and reaching out across that aisle is just as bad as being on the other side of it.

Archived